GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 747
3 members and 744 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 12-16-2001, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I've got a gem...

At our school, a tradition at our basketball games is to hold up a section of the newspaper while the opposing team is being introduced, then crumple it up and throw it on the court. There was a big controversy about students hiding hard objects in their newspapers and hurting players, opposing fans, etc. when they threw it. So the school said no more newspapers, and mandated that students have to be searched extensively upon entrance, revoked a whole student seating section near the court and put down a bunch of other regulations to avoid more people getting hurt.

...Anyway, one of my sisters was discussing the ridiculousness of these new regulations with a PM (and a legacy, no less) during a recruitment party, and how it's horrible that a few stupid students took away one of our few school traditions. The PM argued that throwing newspaper onto the court could in fact hurt someone. My sister kinda laughed it off and said "yeah, maybe a whole stack of newspapers." Then the PM looked her straight in the face and deadpanned "Anything can be used as a weapon. I could kill you right now with this fork."

Needless to say she was cut and has become a running joke in the house. She ended up in another sorority, and it's always a good time to see her during Greek wide events.
Old 12-16-2001, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down Another weird Rush Story

A year before I joined my chapter there was a girl that wanted in ZTA in the worst way! She thought she had an "in" because she was dating a guy whose brother's girlfriend was in our chapter. They were pretty close friends so she went through Rush. She was a loud-mouth and known for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. On the last day of Rush during our Preference Party she walks into the ZTA house and says "This house is B*tchin Man!" Needless to say she did not receive a bid to our chapter, even though she kept trying!!
Old 12-17-2001, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

These posts are hilarious ... and ofcourse I have a few to share as well.

As a rushee I just think luck was not on my side (or my roommates). On the way to our first meeting with the Rho Chi, my roommate fell down a flight of stairs which no one could help laughing at, even she was in hysterics.

Pref night I was obviously nervous and it really bit me in the rear end. While I was talking to a member, and I was also holding sparkling cider, I got excited telling a story and accidentally spilled the entire thing all over a nice couch. Then during a candle ceremony, while the President was speaking my candle started dripping onto my hands. It took everything not to scream at the top of my lungs because the hot wax just kept dripping. Later I learned that another PNM's hair caught on fire at AXO's due to the candles. It's a wonder I got my bid, but just goes to show that it's okay to be human during rush.

This year during rush a PNM spilled lemonade all over her pants, and knowing how embarassing that was I helped get her a blow dryer and she spent a lot of the party trying to dry her pants because she still had quite a few houses to go to. She didn't end up in our house but we all thought it was great that something embarassing like that happened, but she really did just laugh it off and try to make the best of it.

We also had a rushee this year come up to a member (at a party during rush) and say "Well I really love your house but I know in my heart I'm a Theta so you shouldn't even ask me back." You can guess what we did.

Like many other posts, we've experienced gorgeous girls who just sit there and don't really say anything during rush because they assume they don't have to make any effort due to their looks. They always end up disappointed. One girl in particular spent her time twirling her hair and answering every question with a yes or no. Times like those you just wish you had a mini bar to get through the whole round.

Last but not least, my favorite story ... one round during rush I ran upstairs to change shoes because my feet were killing me by the end of the night. I thought I had timed it right but I was getting shoes in my closet when I hear the door open and a rushee and a member were already in my room (we don't always rush in our own rooms and this round I was going to be helping out in the kitchen). I shut the door to my closet and just sat there. Apparently the party had started already!!! I spent the whole thirty minutes stuffed inside my closet trying not to make a move thinking what in the world would this girl think if i fell out of the closet!!! Just imagine, the rushee would think I was spying on her or just plain crazy!! Then visions of panhel finding out and thinking that's what we actually do ... it was a nightmare. Thankfully everything was okay and I got to leave unnoticed. In retrospect I'm guess I should have just walked out my room and it wouldn't have been that bad. But in a panic situation I guess I assumed sitting in a closet wouldn't be weirder. I definetly won't be doing that again!
Old 12-17-2001, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by UofIL AXO
We also had a rushee this year come up to a member (at a party during rush) and say "Well I really love your house but I know in my heart I'm a Theta so you shouldn't even ask me back." You can guess what we did.
Did she end up in Theta???
Old 12-17-2001, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I never checked the D.I. to see if she was a Theta. But I guess if she is one, then there's no harm because she let open a spot for someone who is interested in being asked back.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

This story is not so much about any rushee, but about what happened during rush. It was the Saturday, just after our last pref party when we were tearing down. We were all pretty ezhausted from the week and were cleaning up the agger house, where we had rush because we did not have a house. Well, our rush chair was moving a large wooden lyre that we use for pref when she fell back and dropped it. The lyre then hit her in the head knocking her unconcious. The poor girl. We all stopped what we were doing and ran to her side. She went to the hospital, but fortunately only suffered a slight concussion.

So a few months later at our formal, she received the award for doing a bang-up job during Rush.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:07 PM

I forgot about this but I kind of did something dumb when I was rushing.....my sophomore year I had bleached my hair blonde over the summer.....I kept it up when I came back to school and moved into the Chi O house, thinking I was going to keep it blonde for awhile. Well, our rush was held over two separate weekends, and I got sick of dealing with the hair and the roots and everything. I wanted my real hair back. So midway through the week I dyed it back dark. Well the rushees I had met the first two parties didn't recognize me of course and were very confused when I talked to them again. It was kind of silly.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Oh my gosh...I think if someone in my chapter did that, our rush advisors would die of a heart attack. We wouldn't have enough time to dye our hair anyway since you only have from midnight until 7am off to sleep and do everything you need to get done!
Old 12-18-2001, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my sisters cried while she was being rushed. It was her first time being away from her little sister, and she was really missing her - and all the talk of sisterhood and sisters really got to her and she just started bawling. Luckily, the sister rushing her got her to calm down, realized what a cool girl Ashley is, and now she's this super wonderful active sister... she just had a rough start.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Hannah
I've got a gem...

The PM argued that throwing newspaper onto the court could in fact hurt someone. My sister kinda laughed it off and said "yeah, maybe a whole stack of newspapers." Then the PM looked her straight in the face and deadpanned "Anything can be used as a weapon. I could kill you right now with this fork."

Needless to say she was cut and has become a running joke in the house. She ended up in another sorority, and it's always a good time to see her during Greek wide events.
LMAO, Good Lord!
Old 01-30-2002, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow I wouldn't have had the guts to go back into that apartment at all after hearing about a potential killer roommate!!!!! That's hilarious about the voices in my head thing! I wonder if the girl who refused to talk wasn't forced to rush by her parents & was being quite to spite them?!?
Old 01-30-2002, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

This makes me wonder...how many of these rushees never actually wanted to pledge but just wanted to "get an inside look" and perhaps cause a bit of trouble. GDI's at heart, doing outrageous stuff just for the fun of it. Weird, but anything's possible in this world!

Peachy
Old 01-30-2002, 07:47 PM

Lauren, I'm dying to know.....did the rolly-eyes mute bitch get a bid from anyone????? Was she like that at all the houses? What a toolshed!!!!!
Old 01-31-2002, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lauren1874
and asked where she was from. She just stared at me. I thought maybe she hadn't heard me, so I repeated the question slightly more loudly and smiled at her -- she made this funny sound and rolled her eyes.
Yeah, I have asked prospects this same question and gotten the following:
Me; So where do you come from?

Them:
"My mothers womb."
"The black pit of nothingness"
"The shuttle bus that dropped me off."
and
"Laredo, Texas. The second largest border city on the 1900 mile US/Mexican Border, and the largest inland port in the nation."

Takes all kinds.....
Old 01-31-2002, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG! I can't wait to be a rusher next week as well is in the fall!!! It will be so much fun & I'm sure humorous at times (even though I know it's stressfull esp. in fall).