GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,178
Threads: 115,504
Welcome to our newest member, taylorjrz2158

Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix16 View Post
To settle the pref debate, I contacted one of our Rho Gams. She said that the PHA website is wrong, and that PNMs are still going to up to 2 chapters. Not three. Only 2. There are 3 rounds that day for chapters with an optional fourth round to keep the number of PNMs manageable for the chapter, but a PNM would only go to 1 or 2.
Then they need to fix their website ASAP, because that’s where I (& undoubtedly many many other people) got my info.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Are no chapters setting their quota above the amount per their national HQ?
No they are not. If a chapter would like to take more women than the set by RFM quota (or a QA), then they can hold informal recruitment starting as soon as bid day ends. So if a national HQ wants a chapter to take 80 women and quota is 55, then they will need to informally recruit the difference.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-08-2019, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

Here's another question that I'm confused about if anyone can explain. When I went through, the last rounds were 8, 4, then 2 (pref night). It seems like now they have to make drastic cuts from 9 to pref night now. Not that my D will have all 9 to choose from, but I know some women will.

So how many chapters are the PNMs able to list as being interested in after this next round of 9? To they have to choose only 2? And if so, does that mean the other chapters not listed are now off the table for them? It just seems like a big leap if that's the case. You might have women that could see themselves in several of the chapters, but are forced to make drastic cuts, then get no invites to pref night because they cut the couple of chapters that would have asked them back (and where they would have been happy to go had they had the opportunity to list more chapters). It just seems like such a gamble if that's the case.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomof2 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback.

Here's another question that I'm confused about if anyone can explain. When I went through, the last rounds were 8, 4, then 2 (pref night). It seems like now they have to make drastic cuts from 9 to pref night now. Not that my D will have all 9 to choose from, but I know some women will.

So how many chapters are the PNMs able to list as being interested in after this next round of 9? To they have to choose only 2? And if so, does that mean the other chapters not listed are now off the table for them? It just seems like a big leap if that's the case. You might have women that could see themselves in several of the chapters, but are forced to make drastic cuts, then get no invites to pref night because they cut the couple of chapters that would have asked them back (and where they would have been happy to go had they had the opportunity to list more chapters). It just seems like such a gamble if that's the case.
If she has a full round of nine, she will rank her top 2 in no order (the cluster) then rank order 3,4,5,6,7,8,9

She does not "cut" any chapters. She rank orders. So she may end up with pref invites to chapters that are #7 and #9 on her list.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello all! My daughter went through recruitment last year at IU, so thought I would finally check in. She is a sophomore this year and is enjoying her first year on the other side. It has been exhausting, but she has liked meeting all the PNMs.

I was also in a sorority at IU and I agree that it used to go 18, 12, 8, 4, 2 with the 18 round being held in the fall and then the others in early January. The current 9 to 2 is a big release, and the PNMs just have to do their best in ranking whatever it is that they have left when they attend the 9 round. My daughter had 7. She was not asked back to one of her top 2 going into preference, so it is a reminder that it is important who you list as #3 and on down the list.

Also, there was a question earlier about fear that a PNM may be released from all chapters. In recent years, I don't think this is very common. I have talked to parents who occasionally claim their daughter was "cut from all sororities at IU" but after further discussion learn they had a couple sororities left but decided not to continue.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
We've done the same at several chapters I've advised. While chapters may have three events, the PNMs are only going to a max of 2 based off of the CPC's round count (21-16-9-5-2 total guess!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix16 View Post
To settle the pref debate, I contacted one of our Rho Gams. She said that the PHA website is wrong, and that PNMs are still going to up to 2 chapters. Not three. Only 2. There are 3 rounds that day for chapters with an optional fourth round to keep the number of PNMs manageable for the chapter, but a PNM would only go to 1 or 2.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Then they need to fix their website ASAP, because that’s where I (& undoubtedly many many other people) got my info.
Definitely! I got the overall schedule from there and because everything else was updated (including the detailed schedule of times for each round), I assumed that the 3 chapter pref was correct. That's what I get for not double checking

To Bind, To Strive, To Aid
Old 01-09-2019, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
If she has a full round of nine, she will rank her top 2 in no order (the cluster) then rank order 3,4,5,6,7,8,9

She does not "cut" any chapters. She rank orders. So she may end up with pref invites to chapters that are #7 and #9 on her list.
Glad to know this.

Appreciate having a place to ask questions that I know would irritate my daughter if I kept asking her.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomof2 View Post
Glad to know this.

Appreciate having a place to ask questions that I know would irritate my daughter if I kept asking her.
Ask away! Most of us have been in your shoes! Hope all goes well for your daughter this weekend!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Talked to my D this morning. She sounded better than I expected, being the first week of new classes and this cliff hanger with recruitment schedule. she is run down but practicing self care and keeping busy. I asked how she was feeling about things and she says she just wants to see her new list so she can start focusing on what her options are, and what direction to go. She appears to have 5 "favorites", thank goodness, so hopefully at least one will carry to sisterhood round. She heard the frat boys sit out on the street in lawn chairs watching the girls hustle about these next two rounds...she laughingly said that will add a new element to the madness! Yeesh...

My daughter says she thinks it is 2 for pref, but isn't 100%

Hopefully this next round doesn't bring a lot of tears, and these girls can embrace their options and get one step closer to finding their sisterhood.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 PM

When do they pick up schedules? Tomorrow?

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
When do they pick up schedules? Tomorrow?
yes- rho gammas actually go to the dorms and hand out the schedules individually. (I believe sophomores have a meeting place but it varies by rho gamma group).

And a note to parents: the cuts this round are hard. They are harsh. Many organizations were ask to cut half of the women that were there for philanthropy rounds. Women that the organizations loved were released by the chapters simply because of numbers. Please remind your daughters to focus on the groups that she has left- those groups had to truly love her to invite her back! They want her!

And if she was released by a group that she loved, it most likely was NOT HER. It was numbers. I believe these cuts are hard before sisterhood round so that women can focus on those groups that truly want her, rather than giving false hope going into preference.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post

Women that the organizations loved were released by the chapters simply because of numbers. Please remind your daughters to focus on the groups that she has left- those groups had to truly love her to invite her back! They want her!
This is SO true. I said that repeatedly to both my daughters. My oldest daughter went all the way thru to pref (back in 2014 when a round was cut due to weather) with a full schedule and houses she LOVED to get three back for the final round that she struggled with. First I told her she was lucky to have 3 when some girls only had 1 (or none) and that she needed to pick herself up and re-group.

She did and when pref came and she got her bid card again she was not a happy camper. Again, I reminded her that this was her chance to be Greek and that these girls saw her as having the potential to be their sister. I don't mean to make her sound like a whiner - she wasn't. It just wasn't the outcome she expected. Flash forward to today and she's preparing to be in the wedding of one of her best friends and sisters and has friends she couldn't have imagined missing out on at IU.

I only share all of this to share that it all truly does work out. And agree that the next rounds are definitely the toughest. And you moms going through it this year sound like you have the right perspective to help their daughters get through this brutal process. Hang in there!
Old 01-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hoping all the IU PNMs will receive the invitations they are hoping for, and if not that they will respond with wisdom far beyond their years, put on their big girl panties, and have a great time at the houses they are invited to.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I really appreciate the comments and feedback y'all are providing. Waiting eagerly to hear which houses my daughter is invited back to for Sisterhood. She was fortunate to have 16 in philanthrophy round (Even though she was cut from 3 she liked...) She is a double legacy to one house but has several that she could see herself in -
Hoping she keeps an open mind... Think I'll have some wine!!!!
Good luck to all pnms (and mamas).