GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,937
4 members and 1,933 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 08-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

What Not to Say to a Released PNM

I think that every year I know more and more women who are released from recruitment. They tell me what their Gamma Chis have said to them and I would like to address this. If you're talking with a girl who's been dropped,

1. DO NOT, unless she asks, say, "You can always be in student government," (or Residence Hall Association or so forth). She does not want to hear that. She wants to be in a national sorority with letters, a big sister, football game seating blocks, you know what I mean. Don't offer her something unsatisfactory.

2. DO NOT say, "Oh well, Greek life isn't everything." You're Greek and that sounds horribly patronizing coming from you. Also, at some campuses that's a lie because Greek life is a huge part of campus life.

3. DO NOT be dishonest about her chances of getting a COB bid or succeeding in rush next year. If you go to a school where COBing isn't done and re-rushing sophomores are automatically cut, tell her the truth. She may want to transfer and y'know, that's okay. That's very common in the South when women are released. Don't make fun of her for it.

I don't intend for this to turn into a South-bashing thread. I'm posting this because if I can help at least one brokenhearted woman by shutting up some patronizing recruitment counselor, then I'll be satisfied.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

good post carnation, and especially timely, with recruitment going full force. thanks!
Old 08-19-2005, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

and of course, don't say, "you can always AI!"
Old 08-19-2005, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank God for this post.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:04 PM

* DON'T SAY THINGS LIKE "OMG those sororities suck so bad for cutting you, how DARE they!" As much as you think it will make the PNM feel better, you aren't in a position to judge them for cutting someone.

*DON'T automatically suggest a service fraternity. That goes in line with what Dani said about student gov't. They aren't a "substitute" for Greek Life. The experiences aren't identical. The young lady might not be looking for the type of experience they provide.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-19-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC

*DON'T automatically suggest a service fraternity. That goes in line with what Dani said about student gov't. They aren't a "substitute" for Greek Life.

THANK YOU!!!!!

SAI, APO etc, ARE THEIR OWN GROUPS. They are not the same, and I'd be pissed if somebody told me they wanted to join SAI because they didn't get into a NPC group. It's not about the fancy letters, people.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Good posts. What are some things TO SAY?
Old 08-19-2005, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
I'm sorry. What do you want to do now?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: What Not to Say to a Released PNM

It seems like occasional rejection or disappointment is a fact of life, though, and not being invited back is just one example of that. This doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt, just that everyone experiences it at some point in her life. A PNM who is dropped by all the houses might feel very alone. I might consider sharing a story about a time when I felt hurt and rejected, but ultimately survived. Maybe it would help to point out that the recruitment process can be sort of arbitrary. It doesn't mean that she's a worthless person, just that she might not have happened to meet women she clicked with, and the house may have been forced to release a certain number.
Although Greek life is very important to some people, the PNM probably has other interests and goals too. Maybe it would be possible to talk with her about what she genuinely enjoys, and help her find student orgs that match her interests. If rushing again is a realistic option for her, being involved would probably help her chances.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Re: What Not to Say to a Released PNM

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
She may want to transfer and y'know, that's okay. That's very common in the South when women are released. Don't make fun of her for it.

Are you flipping kidding me? Girls transfer schools because they got cut from a sorority?

Sorry. I'd have to laugh at her for that. Education anyone?

KLTC
Old 08-19-2005, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: What Not to Say to a Released PNM

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Are you flipping kidding me? Girls transfer schools because they got cut from a sorority?

Sorry. I'd have to laugh at her for that. Education anyone?
When you're talking about the difference between a state school in Texas and a state school in Alabama, and the girl in question is an Education major, Business major, Communications major, etc... transferring isn't really that big of a deal. I know it sounds silly- but people transfer all the time because they aren't HAPPY. And to some young women, especially at a huge Greek school where you ain't NOBODY unless you're in a sorority, happiness is defined by that elusive bid to their sorority of choice. Add to that any pressure they may be facing at home from their mother, grandmother, aunts, and cousins who are all XYZs and want desperately for little Suzy to be their official sister... it happens.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: Re: What Not to Say to a Released PNM

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie
When you're talking about the difference between a state school in Texas and a state school in Alabama, and the girl in question is an Education major, Business major, Communications major, etc... transferring isn't really that big of a deal. I know it sounds silly- but people transfer all the time because they aren't HAPPY. And to some young women, especially at a huge Greek school where you ain't NOBODY unless you're in a sorority, happiness is defined by that elusive bid to their sorority of choice. Add to that any pressure they may be facing at home from their mother, grandmother, aunts, and cousins who are all XYZs and want desperately for little Suzy to be their official sister... it happens.
Seriously. We once had a freshman transfer in time to go ADPi, get initiated, then transfer to school in the South - where she was accepted as transfer sister. We later found out that she had gone to XYZ School, suicided ADPi, and didn't get a bid. Once she found out that she would have been the very next person on their bid list, she transferred to Pitt, etc. Frankly, I admired her ingenuity! She couldn't be an "official" sister at the Southern school until the next term (when someone was studying abroad), but it worked out well for her.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: What Not to Say to a Released PNM

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie
Co-sign!!! I know it is hard for alot of people to understand, but it DOES happen. And I wouldn't laugh at someone for doing that. If it makes the difference between a young lady being happy with her college experience or unhappy, then what is wrong with it?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: What Not to Say to a Released PNM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
Co-sign!!! I know it is hard for alot of people to understand, but it DOES happen. And I wouldn't laugh at someone for doing that. If it makes the difference between a young lady being happy with her college experience or unhappy, then what is wrong with it?
I think it's one thing to transfer because you're unhappy (not getting a bid to the sorority of your choice being a small but integral part of that) and another thing to transfer entirely because you didn't get the house you wanted in rush. If a girl drops out of rush/is cut from all the houses and then goes on to try her best to make friends in the dorm, in other organizations, etc. -- and when it comes to January or February she's STILL unhappy and wants to transfer, I don't think there's a problem with that at all. If she drops out of rush/is cut and immediately decides -- in August or September, possibly before school has even STARTED, that her life is OMG TOTALLY OVER!!!!1! and she has to transfer to XYZ State so she can rush again, I think that's ridiculous. I would have zero qualms about making fun of such a person. Of course, that's one of the reasons I was never a Rho Chi . . .

I think the rest of the advice in this thread is spot-on, though.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
"I'm sorry."

Then, be willing to LISTEN as long as she needs to talk or vent or cry or whatever. Check up on her the next day or so as appropriate, just in case she needs a friendly face. Say hi to her when you see her on campus.

Basically, treat her exactly as you'd want to be treated if YOU were the confused/lonely/scared/heartbroken/embarrassed/angry/etc (add or delete adjectives as appropriate) PNM yourself.