GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 306,943
Threads: 114,626
Welcome to our newest member, jjbun
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Edited because I've calmed down now.

Last edited by Sistermadly; 04-24-2003 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scpiano211
I mean I have to work a job, maintain 15 to 17 hours worth of school, volunteer, and do things with my sorority. Whereas someone that's an alumnae, they will just deal with a possible career and a possible family.
scpiano,

Sad to say, stress doesn't end when you get your diploma. Examples include having a family/raising kids, having a full time job, paying school loans, paying a mortgage, forking over $$$ when the roof is leaking, taking care of aging parents... it never ends. The stress says with you; the sources of stress are what change.

peachy
Old 04-24-2003, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Quote:
. Also, I just don't see it as fair to people like myself that had to go through Recruitment 2 times to get into a sorority. I mean I have to work a job, maintain 15 to 17 hours worth of school, volunteer, and do things with my sorority. Whereas someone that's an alumnae, they will just deal with a possible career and a possible family.
scpiano-- Do not assume that AI is the easy way in. Look into the reasons the AIs did not join as collegians. Perhaps there was no greek life at their college, perhaps a death of a parent soon before recruitment caused them to not have a good recruitment, perhaps they could not afford the dues, yet longed for the experience, perhaps they were a pledge that for one reason or another never initiated. I don't know of any AIs either personally or on this site that sought it out as an "easy" way in. In almost all cases, their search for a sorority that fit them was longer and more frought with difficulty than traditional recruitment.

Also, enjoy the relative calm of school, work and sorority. It gets much worse managing your time and balancing all aspects of your life when you're an alum. Work over 40 hours a week, take a class, volunteer AND balance relationship, family and friends. It is not easy. You will have a leg up on time management with the schedule you have now, but it does not get any easier than what you have now.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how many people are aware of this, but Alpha Gamma Delta's current International President is an alumna initiate.

She's been a good leader for the Fraternity and I, for one, am proud of the fact that we welcome alumna initiates with open arms. They are my sisters, just like any others.

IMO, one alumna initiate who gives a lifetime of support to Alpha Gam is worth 10 collegiates who disappear after graduation and are never heard from again. Being a member of a fraternity is a LIFETIME committment...if you are willing to make that committment, I don't care if you initiate at 18, 38 or 78.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

well said maria!
Old 04-24-2003, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool OK everyone, take a deep breath!

I don't want this thread to yield bad feelings! Obviously everyone has their own opinions regarding alumna initiation.

Believe me, throughout my AI process I was constantly concerned about meeting members who disapproved of of alumna seeking membership into their organization. I, in turn, thought that perhaps I had missed out on some of the sorority experience because I did not join as a collegiate. But, thankfully, my fears were unwarranted. EVERY member I met, collegiate and alumna, were excited for me and welcomed me with open arms. They reminded me that the collegiate experience lasts only 4 years; the alum experience is for the rest of your life.

I don't think of the AI process as an easy way into a sorority. Each alumna initiate has different experiences; some of the ladies had a longer process than others, because things did not work out with one organization, etc. In a way the process is kind of like rush, since the PNAM and the members ensure that there's a good fit.

scpiano211,
I've encountered 1 person in the local alum chapter who shared your sentiments on AI. She in now way meant it against me, but she was concerned about how the sorority experience could be diluted through the alumna initiation process. I know you do not agree with the idea of alumna initiation, but I hope you will regard the alumnae initiates of your organization as full-fledged members and great asset to your sisterhood.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is also important to note that the reason collegiate dues are so high is because:
1) insurance-we all know that premiums are insane for greek groups.
2) collegiates are the ones who reap the maximum benefits of the national organization; convention, mailings, publications, manuals, loans, etc.
And those are just two reasons.

It may be difficult to understand, as a collegiate why someone would want to join an organization after collegiate years, but from what I've seen alum initiates are the most active. We even have an alum initiate on our executive council. In their defense, I read the post and these ladies were quite civil and helpful.

My best advice to new greek chatters is to read your post carefully because sometimes the way we intended something with the way we would read and say things and the way it appears in print does not exactly correspond. I understand that you were trying to present your view, but I'm sure that we could turn this into a civilized discussion of why alumnae initiation exists, rather than attack each other because we may not understand each others different views.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

scpiano211, this is not just a rare phenom among Soroitys!

There may be many reasons that A I has becime a big factor among Greek Orgs.

This honor to become a member of a Greek Organization is not handed out willy-nilly just to boost numbers!

As has been stated on this thread, many A I members become very instrumental to Their Organizations.

If you XYZ group does not, that is fine. So be it. If your feelings are your feelings, then so be it!

If you want to come on G C and be a member, then you may state your views as we all do. But do not keep antigonizing and saying the same thing over and over!

It has been pointed out that some of the things you discuss on this thread have been discussed on previous theads!

I as the Founding Member of my Local who affiliated am Proud to have A I , not to just add members to the rolls!

Harry S. Truman was an A I member of LXA, and held it in his heart till he died!

Remember, there may have been circumstances that prevented a person from becoming a member in the good ole days of college, but yet still had the calling to be part of something they felt very dear to!

You have your opinions, and Many of us have Ours! Si?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-24-2003, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
Edited because I've calmed down now.
Aww Sistermadly--I wish you hadn't deleted that, it was an excellent post.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

first of all, i am not an alum initiate, but i can see the attraction to it. there are many women who for whatever reason, do not join glos while in college. quite honestly, i have to quote greeklawgirl bc i agree 100%...

one alumna initiate who gives a lifetime of support to Alpha Gam is worth 10 collegiates who disappear after graduation and are never heard from again. Being a member of a fraternity is a LIFETIME committment...if you are willing to make that committment, I don't care if you initiate at 18, 38 or 78.

there are tons of collegiate members who disapper after graduation. of the 11 women in my pledge class....only 2 of us are involved in an alum group. of the women who graduated a few years before and a few years after me....i can only think of 8 who are still involved. in the boston area alone, there are approximately 5 phi kappa's and i am the only one involved in the alum group. the ratios are not that hot! for the people who are not involved...they got "burned out in college" or sororities are just a collegiate thing. for me, phi mu is forever. being an alum affords me so many opportunites....including the lack of drama that collegiate life has...as well as many rewards. i have met some really great phi mu's from many different chapters and i am happy to call them friends. there are several of my friends that i would love to see initiated into phi mu!!! i think they would be great assets to the group.

so i guess, my question is this....if sorority/ fraternity membership is for a lifetime.....why does it matter if you were initiated as a collegiate or as an alum?
Old 04-24-2003, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

amycat, I agree totally on that one!

pinkyphimu! Yea for you!

How many times have Collegieat people join a Greek Org. cause that is the thing to do? How many Graduate from College and you never hear from them again?

Ripleys beleive it or not!

I was initiated into LXA in 1966, and I am still a member of LXA and will always be, or I damn sure would not be doing what I am doing with My International, My Local Chapter, Or be on GC!

We all have the Love our Organizations or We would not be here, or trying to join as A I members.

It is amazing, that the A I Members have to work twice as hard to become members! But, who does a lot more and stays more active than A I membrs?

Do they pay less as Members of ABC? Heck, I do not pay My Internationsl a Nickle!

I donate to them. Do I pay local Alum dues! No! We are all doing this out of our own pockets and having a heck of a great time just

being with Brothers!

Ah well, the sun always rises in the East doesnt it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-24-2003, 05:46 PM

ROFL!!!

Quote:
To me, people can see it as an "easy in" if they don't join while in college and they'll in turn pay much cheaper dues. Also, I just don't see it as fair to people like myself that had to go through Recruitment 2 times to get into a sorority. I mean I have to work a job, maintain 15 to 17 hours worth of school, volunteer, and do things with my sorority. Whereas someone that's an alumnae, they will just deal with a possible career and a possible family.
Is this a "real" post or is someone joking around?!?!?!?!?

It's probably a joke, but on the off chance it is meant to be taken seriously I have to respond

To me, people can see it as an "easy in" if they don't join while in college and they'll in turn pay much cheaper dues. Also, I just don't see it as fair to people like myself that had to go through Recruitment 2 times to get into a sorority.
When I went through formal rush, all I had to do was sit there, act interested and look cute. It wasn't exactly a difficult situation. AI candidates have to sell themselves to the sorority, not the other way around.

I mean, I have to work a job, maintain 15 to 17 hours worth of school, volunteer and do things with my sorority. Whereas someone that's an alumnae, they will just deal with a possible career and a possible family.
Yep, I'm sure women who are juggling a career and a family have SO much extra time
Old 04-24-2003, 05:53 PM

Oh, and one more thing...

As far as missing out on "bonding" with other members of a sorority if one doesn't attend college with them goes, that doesn't make any sense to me. There is only one other member from my chapter in the alumnae chapter I belong to (and she graduated several years after me so I didn't know her back then), but I don't feel any less of a bond with my sisters because they didn't go to my college.

If anything, it makes things like Founders Day even more special because it's gratifying (to me, at least) to go through a ceremony I learned at a different time and a different place than the other sisters and see that we all learned the same thing.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:04 PM

I am sure they have more time than I do. My mother did.

#1: I am not going to have a family simply because the job I will get will not be suitable for a family. I am joining the CIA after I graduate from graduate school.

#2: As for the mortgage, most people that have one have jobs that pay much more than mine does and they work the same amount of hours as I do but don't have to go to school.

#3: As much as school was very much of a choice for me as it was a necessity, it is a CHOICE to have a family. People do NOT have to get married and/or have kids.

#4: No, shockingly, I will not be joining an alumnae group BECAUSE OF MY JOB for heaven's sake.

#5: Most people don't have as many things going on in their lives as much as a college student does. They have a family and maybe a job. WOO HOO! Wish I only had 2 things that stressed me out on a daily basis. The other things that stress people out are self-imposed.

#6: I have to have a job (to pay for school stuff), I have to go to school because it surprisingly enough isn't the 1950s anymore where the woman is severely opressed by her man, and yes, I chose the sorority stuff because I wanted to have a life outside the work and school realms.

#7: My parents pay for tuition so loans from my college will not be seeking payments for that. I have to pay for everything else (i.e. car insurance and gas, textbooks, sorority bills, apartment, etc.).

Also, if you want to discuss this further, you can PM me but this is getting ridiculous because all I did was state my opinion and everyone got their panties in a wad.

Last edited by ztawinthropgirl; 04-24-2003 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

scpiano-- Good Luck w the CIA, that is very impressive.

I must speak to #5. When I was still in school and just out of school I would have thought the same as what you've posted... but as you get older, the responsibilities mount.

I am not married and I do not have any children-- tho I expect both will happen in the next few years.

I work full time, which, requires more than 40 hours a week. I also take two classes to further my writing career. Fit in working out, laundry, grocery shopping, friends, boyfriend, family-- and my daily post today in my journal is all about me whining about how I need more time.

I worked in college too and juggled the same things you have siad you are. It is stressful, but it is MORE stressful once you're out. Married or not. Actually, single is more so in many ways, because you are soley responsible for the rent/mortgage, car, etc.

I am not flaming you. You've not yet lived it, so you cannot know what lies ahead. I wish you the best of luck.
Closed Thread