GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 302,966
Threads: 114,347
Welcome to our newest member, dgfdgdfghdh

Old 09-04-2003, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a bump for a subject near to my heart....

I think that burn out is the biggest reason. I have to say I was totally burned out after being a collegiate exec officer. I just wanted to sit back and be for a while.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
For me, I joined an Alumni Association as soon as I graduated, but I still have not been to an activity. Main reason? Most of the activities are all down in San Diego....I live about an hour's drive from all of them, so like honeychile, for me to go to an event requires a 3-4 hour committment from me. Add the fact that I am back in school, the youngest member of the association, and also in an entirely different geographical area than where my collegiate chapter is located, and I feel really awkward about going to events. However, the bright side is I've decided that I want to get more involved this year, even to the point of eventually taking on a position in the association and maybe even eventually advising a local chapter, because I love my sorority so much and really do believe that it's a lifetime fellowship that I am proud to be a member of!
Old 09-06-2003, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Great thread! And a topic near and dear to my heart.

As Polarpi has experienced, geography is often the greatest challenge we face in New England. Some of our alumnae associations draw members from over a 100-mile radius. This makes it tough to just get together for coffee or drinks!

Many of our groups also have trouble capturing younger alumnae. This is probably due to demands on time, and not prioritizing Kappa. Part of the solution is programming: offering varied activities that are not just social in nature, but involve fraternity education and philanthropy.

Capturing just 10% of the alumnae listed on membership rolls and involving them as dues-paying members is an achievement for an association here. I'm still working on building the better moustrap that will make alumnae beat a path to our door!

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 09-08-2003, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

When I moved to the Atlanta area five years ago, I dutifully attended all the Alum Panhel events I could as the alternate delegate...also went to ALL the Gamma Phi alum events I could which was 90% of them. But I grew VERY weary of the drive into and thru downtown Atlanta -- the driving around here is insane! Plus no one ever wanted to come down my way and let me host an event despite my volunteering my house & culinary prowess...so I started "my own" Gamma Phi alum chapter and we were officially installed in June 2000! We have steady membership of 20-24 women... Plus a year later, I started an Alum Panhel in my area -- we were installed in July 2001...we have over 100 members representing 19 of the 26 NPC sororities and we gave our first scholarship (just$500 -- all raised thru "super sister" donations!) this past year to a high school senior...you know that old saying: if the mountain won't come to Mohammed......
USC Trojans -- #1!
Don't blame me - I voted for the War Hero and the Hockey Mom