GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 1,998
0 members and 1,998 guests
No Members online

Old 05-11-2001, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeeJae:
Delta thongs, and Delta tissues...
BeeJae, you did NOT see a Delta thong!! Please tell me you didn't!! OH MY!

I think that the tissues/toilet paper is cute. Now, when I first saw it, But then, one of my LS's gave me an idea that to this DAY I think is just adorable! She wants to have a bathroom in her house, that is NOT for use, that is decorated with all AKA stuff: towels, soap, toilet paper, etc. I have always wanted a room to showcase my stuff (after I get enough of it), but I had never thought of that idea.

I DO NOT, however, condone people blowing their noses or wiping their behinds with our letters. That is a given, and SERIOUSLY out of control.

I had to laugh at this one soror at our regional conference. This chile pulled out of her purse some pink and green polka dot tissues!! After I had finished chuckling and teasing her, I realized, I wanted some too!!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-11-2001, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BeeJae
Cool

Delta COMMISSIONED Fortitude, so its rights belong to the sculptor...

I'd rather see a little boy with "My mommy is a Delta" than a grown woman with "Future Delta"... and I'd like to see more of the "My ... is a Delta"... I bought one for my Delta Academy mentee that says "My mentor is a Delta".. she LOVES it...... and it shows that we are touching lives.

Quote:
Originally posted by dstbrat:
that is so funny. i know exactly who you are talking about. i remember smelling the popcorn in the exhibit hall the snacks are tight, but i didn't buy a shirt either!

about fortitude, isn't the sorority in litigation to gain the rights to use her? so, he is really suing people?

on the other, i had never seen one on a little boy. or a 'my dad is ...' on a little girl. it was just different. i don't have a problem with them. the funny ones are the not so close relations: 'my neighbor, friend, god mother, etc is a/an...' people should really let that go.
Old 05-11-2001, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08:

I saw it too in Chicago at our last convention. That and the DST negligee. Anyway I have the DST slippers because I see nothing wrong with them and when I bought them in NO in 98, I was a delegate and my feet were BARKING!!

Old 05-11-2001, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Yes.. Delta thongs made their debut in 1998 at the convention in New Orleans... and did a reprise in Chicago in 2000... The sad part is that I think they sold out both times.

I think you need to rethink the Delta tissue idea... You found it funny that a Delta would blow her nose on pink and green polka dot tissue... Would it be equally funnny to see an AKA do the same with white tissue with little Deltas on it? Or what if you saw it in one of their bathrooms as toilet tissue?

We need to respect EACH OTHER'S symbols... The vendors are the ones with the last laugh.

P.S. I hope you realize that EVERY Delta has AKA "blood"... every one of our founders was an AKA.

Quote:

I think that the tissues/toilet paper is cute. Now, when I first saw it, But then, one of my LS's gave me an idea that to this DAY I think is just adorable! She wants to have a bathroom in her house, that is NOT for use, that is decorated with all AKA stuff: towels, soap, toilet paper, etc. I have always wanted a room to showcase my stuff (after I get enough of it), but I had never thought of that idea.

I DO NOT, however, condone people blowing their noses or wiping their behinds with our letters. That is a given, and SERIOUSLY out of control.

I had to laugh at this one soror at our regional conference. This chile pulled out of her purse some pink and green polka dot tissues!! After I had finished chuckling and teasing her, I realized, I wanted some too!!

[This message has been edited by BeeJae (edited May 11, 2001).]
Old 05-11-2001, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think you need to rethink the Delta tissue idea... You found it funny that a Delta would blow her nose on pink and green pola dot tissue... WOuld it be equally funnny to see an AKA do the same with white tissue with little deltas on it? Or what if you saw it in one of their bathrooms as toilet tissue?

We need to respect EACH OTHER'S symbols... The vendors are the ones with the last laugh.

P.S. I hope you realize that EVERY Delta has AKA "blood"...
NOOOOOOOOO, BeeJae, MY SOROR, LOL!!!!! Not yours, lol!! I was laughin' b/c I felt she had gone P&G crazy!
Old 05-11-2001, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the clarification on fortitude.

another item i hate is the delta halter tops that look like bibs. the tie around the neck and around the mid-drift. i really thought that it was bib, but, could not figure out why it tied around the middle.
some of them are white and you can see straight throught them and you know they sold out too.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Ohhhhh.... okay....

But still... think about a Delta getting ahold of some of those tissues...

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOO, BeeJae, MY SOROR, LOL!!!!! Not yours, lol!! I was laughin' b/c I felt she had gone P&G crazy!
Old 05-11-2001, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

thankyou 411 for telling those people in Ohio want they shouldn't be doing. 'cant stand tacky nalia. In my chapter, Alpha Chapter, we have so much extra protocol and etiquette, so when I see some of the tacky alia out there I just wonder what was going on in people's minds. Everything pink and green with the letters AKA does not represent my sorority as I'm sure everything red and white with the letters DST doesn't represent yours. Down with tacky 'nalia. Don't even look at it.
Old 05-12-2001, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

i wonder why fortitude isn't used more often. it is more official than some of the other items associated with delta. i really thinks she is a classy representation of the the sorority.

on another note, have any of you seen little boys wearing the 'my mom is a delta' shirts? i did once and it struck me as very odd.
Old 05-12-2001, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

That's a god point... the DOLLAR SPEAKS. As long as we continue to PURCHASE these inappropriate items, they will be sold... and some of our national convention and regional conference vendors are guilty, as well...

We need to impress upon our sorors to walk away when they see size 2X "Future Delta" shirts, Delta thongs, and Delta tissues... and the man who has shirts on display that say "My Mother is An Delta"... he forgot to change it from "An AKA"....

Contact the National Protocol & Traditions Committee and take them to task to monitor the wares of the folks they allow to vend at our meetings and to sue those who vend our items inappropriately or without a license.

Quote:
Originally posted by the411:
Yep, I am quite aware of that. The funny thing about Spirit Concepts is that they seem to know THAT (perhaps someone showed them in writing), but didn't want to bend on the Grateful Dead bears thing , even though I tried to make it clear that DST doesn't have a mascot! What are we-- a football team? The almighty dollar seems to speak louder than any of us these days.

Old 05-12-2001, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Actually, Fortitude is still under license from its sculptor, so people who just use it without permission are being sued...

I think little kids with the "My Mother is..." shirts are cute... What struck you as odd?

Quote:
Originally posted by dstbrat:
i wonder why fortitude isn't used more often. it is more official than some of the other items associated with delta. i really thinks she is a classy representation of the the sorority.

on another note, have any of you seen little boys wearing the 'my mom is a delta' shirts? i did once and it struck me as very odd.
Old 05-12-2001, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

And one more thing--

Don't vendors (and their merchandise) at conventions have to be approved by the national office? Is that not the case with stores and web-based businesses? Doesn't seem like is it.

I agree that if we KNOW something shouldn't be made/sold with our letters on it (like underwear, house slippers, dust pans, etc.), we shouldn't buy it. No real businessperson will continue to make or attempt to sell something that is collecting dust on his/her store shelves! The reason inappropriate items are hot commodities is 'cause, somewhere out there, SOMEBODY is "ooh-ing and ahh-ing" over it!

------------------
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Pi Kappa, SP97
#3 of QUINTESSENCE
Old 05-12-2001, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
...and the man who has shirts on display that say "My Mother is An Delta"... he forgot to change it from "An AKA"...
So far, it's been a VERY stressful morning for me. Thanks BeeJae for my laugh-of-the-day. True, ain't NOTHIN' funny about it. I had to laugh to keep from crying!

------------------
Pi Kappa, SP97
#3 of QUINTESSENCE
Old 05-12-2001, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

If you're ever at a conference with him (he does quite a few), you'll be able to find him... His shirts are HANDWRITTEN in a kind of "script" faashion, using an iron-on... and he pops fresh popcorn and sells it.

I really think he just uses the shirt display as a front, because he sells more popcorn than shirts... but we probably wouldn't let him in the vendors area if he said he was a popcorn vendor...

Quote:
Originally posted by the411:
So far, it's been a VERY stressful morning for me. Thanks BeeJae for my laugh-of-the-day. True, ain't NOTHIN' funny about it. I had to laugh to keep from crying!

Old 05-12-2001, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
If you're ever at a conference with him (he does quite a few), you'll be able to find him... His shirts are HANDWRITTEN in a kind of "script" faashion, using an iron-on... and he pops fresh popcorn and sells it.

I really think he just uses the shirt display as a front, because he sells more popcorn than shirts... but we probably wouldn't let him in the vendors area if he said he was a popcorn vendor...
Please STOP! You're killing me!

------------------
Pi Kappa, SP97
#3 of QUINTESSENCE