GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,086
0 members and 2,086 guests
No Members online

Old 07-31-2003, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Making a Rush brochure

Okay...I'm planning Rush for a brand new chapter, and I really could use some help! I am planning an Info Night, a Strawberry Social (one Beta symbol is the strawberry), and a Pref Night. I was thinking of holding individual interviews between Info Night and Strawberry Social. Do you think interviews would be helpful or not? Or should we just try to get to know rushees during the first two Rush events? I realize that NPCs don't do interviews, but I've heard that some locals do. Thoughts?

Also, this chapter will be on a campus with no Greek system, and many rushees may not be familiar with Pref. How do I let them know that this is a dressy affair. Right now, this is what I have written in our Rush brochure:
"Pref Night" is a special evening for members and guests alike. You will see a glimpse of the powerful bond among sisters. The Amherst chapter will help you to understand what it means to be a Beta Sigma Phi. It's an evening of glamour, so pull out your celebration attire!"

What do you think? Please help! I feel like a complete rookie.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-31-2003, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow first of all Good Luck!!

We've actually done away with a formal pref dinner/event. Our school is very anti-greek and it was ackward for PNMs who refused to go semi-formal for an evening to show up to a chapter that (mostly) behaved and wore what we told them. We put the semi-formal attire request on the invite to pref. and had the woman delivering the invite explain. (not that this EVER worked...augh) Do you do invites to pref? or is it open to everyone, cause if you put it in a brochure it might seem open to everyone, (if it is ignore that).

if you do go to a campus w/out greeks you have some challenges. women mostly don't respond to short rush periods and need at least a few weeks to think about it and get to know the house. That is a huge problem cause they also get steered away from the greeks during that time too. how 'bout adding a philanthropy event in there some time? We have a local here that did interviews, they aren't taken seriously yet (they didn't even show up to ANY greek week events...) some people responded ok to it but beloit again, is very anti-establishment so many people rolled their eyes. It does make sense though.

i dunno if i helped at all but good luck!
Old 07-31-2003, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

making people realize it's formal

Erica, what my chapter does for Pref is when we go hand out the invites (no this is not violating rules, we do not have a Panhell) the invite says something like:

"The sisters of Gamma Phi Beta cordially extend an invitation to our Preference Night. This is a serious evening where the ladies will be sharing a very special side of their sisterhood with you. Attire is formal, please dress accordingly."

That usually works - although we once had a girl show up in khakis and a fleece.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your replies. Both of you have been really helpful. I think I will drop the interview idea. Might scare some people off, and it presents a scheduling challenge.

Just to clarify...my chapter is sponsoring a new chapter at another school, so we're doing Rush at a school that isn't our own. Pref is by invitation only, and I wrote that on the brochure. I think I'll write my description of wardrobe on the brochure, explain it at info night, AND write on the Pref invite. Can't be too careful!

I like the idea of adding philanthropy. What kinds of things work well in a group setting like this? When I rushed NPCs as an undergrad, only one chapter did a philanthropy project during Rush. We made cards for hospital patients. I liked that, but I would love to hear more ideas.

Erica
Old 08-01-2003, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

First of all, congratulations!!! it sounds like you're on top of things already...as for philanthropy night, it really depends on what your philanthropy is and what you have in mind for your PNMs...if you want them to have fun, arts & crafts are best with things that are going to be USEFUL like care packages or building something...if you want them to be emotionally touched as well, you can always put pictures of sisters helping people out (thinking of philanthropies involving hospitals or shelters) or show a video that that organization already distributes for fund-raising...
Old 08-01-2003, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I have to agree to be crafty for a philanthropy event, but make sure that it is something meaningful also. If it isnt meaningful many college women that I have noticed dont conect it to being a philanthropy event. So things that my chapter has done before are: Make an insperational book for a lobby or in our case the Ronald McDonald House, make cute braclets with animals and insperational quotes to cover up childrens hospital braclets, make teddy bears, etc...hope this helps...
Old 08-02-2003, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Great suggestions!! Beta Sigma Phi International has a Breast Cancer Research Fund, and individual chapters contribute to the fund each year. However, any chapter of Beta Sigma Phi can choose its own philanthropy. Some change every year. This is one of the reasons that I chose to become a sister of Beta. I liked that a chapter can support any cause to which the sisters feel connected.

I'm still brainstorming on possible projects for rush. Keep the ideas coming!! Right now, I'm thinking of making small suncatchers with inspirational quotes for breast cancer patients. What do you think?

Erica
Old 08-02-2003, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
I like the suncatchers with inspirational quotes idea for a philanthropy event/night.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, sister!! I'm really getting into this "Extension Officer" job

Erica
Old 08-03-2003, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it would be helpful to explain in a little more detail the attire for anything beyond jeans and t shirt casual. For Pref, if you say "celebration attire" or "formal" what does that mean? A prom dress? A formal sequined evening gown? If you really mean cocktail party wear, suggest that instead. No one (I hope) would wear a prom dress or true pageant evening gown to a cocktail party. And perhaps don't call it "pref night" call it "preference" or "serious" night or whatever you choose but avoid jargon that a non-GLO campus might not be familiar with.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Just one bit of advice to add: after using spellcheck, have at least two other people READ the entire brochure for errors!!! Common ones like its & it's and they're & their can slip through easily.

Spelling errors just should not occur on a college-level brochure!
Old 08-03-2003, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Good advice!
I teach College Writing to mostly freshmen, so I am well aware of the horrible impression that simple errors can make. I harp on my students about proofreading and re-proofreading, but I still find errors in my own work. That's what husbands are for!

I'll definitely clarify the expectations of wardrobe at our information night. The only event requiring special attire will be Pref, and I'll consider calling it something else.

Thanks!

Erica