GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,148
3 members and 2,145 guests
aantonygooglet9, Cookiez17

Old 01-08-2015, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Greekchat.com "Classic" Film Reviews

As a companion thread to the immensely popular "Current" Film Reviews, I hope this new thread can be used to critique the films that we have grown up watching, whether it be a classic Disney film from days past or that one movie that actually made a person fall in love with the art of motion pictures.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Although "Jaws" originally was released 8-years before I was born, I did really enjoy the series until after "Jaws 3" was released the year I was born. Usually sequels to original movies aren't as well done or entertaining as the original, but "Jaws 3" was my favorite one. Even the 3-D was pretty good for the time period.

I watch a lot of classics on Netflix that I haven't seen, yet. But I'll post them here when I watch them. Awesome thread!
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I never get tired of Moonstruck. Just a perfect movie from beginning to end.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Still one of the best Classics of all time. One of my favorites. Scares me every time I watch it. Creepy! Creepy! Creepy!
http://youtu.be/7EXbeXTX4m8
Old 01-15-2015, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Might be sacrilegious to say so, but I find Gone With the Wind a complete bore. Tried to watch it and fell asleep. Also find Casablanca a bore.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a but older than many of you but here are some of my favorite movies: To Kill a Mockingbird, Hoosiers, Body Heat, The Days of Wine & Roses, Paper Moon, Witness, It's a Wonderful Life, Misery, Brian's Song(original), Something For Joey, Ice Castles, The Other Side of the Mountain, The Jagged Edge, The Mean Season, Driving Miss Daisy, Ben-Hurr. This should give you movie buffs several "new"movies to watch that you may not have ever heard of. Hard to find some of them. Let me know if you do so I can pass the info on!

"Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring"

Sisters Together Forever...
Old 01-15-2015, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Although "Jaws" originally was released 8-years before I was born, I did really enjoy the series until after "Jaws 3" was released the year I was born. Usually sequels to original movies aren't as well done or entertaining as the original, but "Jaws 3" was my favorite one. Even the 3-D was pretty good for the time period.

I watch a lot of classics on Netflix that I haven't seen, yet. But I'll post them here when I watch them. Awesome thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Might be sacrilegious to say so, but I find Gone With the Wind a complete bore. Tried to watch it and fell asleep. Also find Casablanca a bore.
I agree with all of this. I will try to think on some classic movies and post my thoughts later.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Some of the movies I consider classics might be quite "new" to some of you born before the 80's.
- I just saw The Breakfast Club for the first time and loved it.

- Gone with the Wind bores me to tears as well

- I love the old musicals from the 50s and 60s especially

- Breakfast at Tiffanys remains a favorite
Old 01-15-2015, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post
Some of the movies I consider classics might be quite "new" to some of you born before the 80's.
- I just saw The Breakfast Club for the first time and loved it.
Nah, I don't think so. I think most of the Brat Pack movies are movie classics, the "Breakfast Club" especially.

Does anyone remember the movie with Emilio Estevez and Demi Moore in it? It was released in the 80s. It was a bank robbery movie, as I can remember. I'll try to find the name of it. A true underrated classic.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Nah, I don't think so. I think most of the Brat Pack movies are movie classics, the "Breakfast Club" especially.

Does anyone remember the movie with Emilio Estevez and Demi Moore in it? It was released in the 80s. It was a bank robbery movie, as I can remember. I'll try to find the name of it. A true underrated classic.
It's WISDOM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_(film)
Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

In 2013, I watched ALL of the Best Picture Oscar winners from "WINGS" to "THE ARTIST"; one a day for 85 days. Some of them were extremely dated and have not stood the test of time. Some I had forgotten how really great they were, such as AMADEUS and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaPhi708.20 View Post
Yes. That's it. Thank you. I love that movie.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Disclaimer: I'm in no way affiliated nor employed by Fathom Events, TCM or any film distribution company but am employed by a movie theater chain......

But over the last several years, Fathom Events and TCM have teamed up to show classic films on the big screen, digitally broadcast, and so up next in April, they will be showing the 1965 Best Picture Academy Award winner, "The Sound of Music". I saw this film only once on the big screen, via a 70mm print in 1991 at the Fox Theater in Atlanta.

Classic film buff GCers, this could be a creative way for meet-and-greets at your local theaters for some of the films, if any of our fellow GCers live close to each other.

Last edited by ZetaPhi708.20; 01-24-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone have any favorite war movie classics?

Two of my favorites:

All quiet on the western front
http://youtu.be/DX1PW2n8POg

Tora! Tora! Tora!
http://youtu.be/I56EnecvVZU
Old 01-24-2015, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

What's interesting is "Tora! Tora! Tora!" was released less than 30-years after the actual attack happened.