GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,327
1 members and 1,326 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 11-13-2009, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

For where to get recs?

I'm a sophomore transfer to a southern school with deferred recruitment. It's not SEC-style competitive: the general thought is that most freshman can get a bid to a sorority, but there are some that are extremely competitive to get into. Sophomores can get bids, but not as often. I am very realistic about the situation: a sophomore, with no legacy, no close friends in the Greek system, average GPA. I would be honored to be invited to join any one of my campus's great sororities. I am determined, above all, to keep an open mind and not listen to tent talk.

I have been working for quite some time (since the beginning of the summer) to secure recs for each house. My local panhellenic has graciously agreed to secure me recs for about 1/3 of my school's sororities, any ones I should choose. The concern: I have found out everything I can about each house here, realistically. Although not close to any Greek women here, I have seen the girls- mostly in academic settings- interact with each other and with others. I know the general reputation of each group- although I am determined not to let that sway my decisions. There are a couple that, going in, I feel will likely not be strong matches for me. I have eliminated those from the ones I will choose for panhel-secured recs.

My question is this: Given recs to 1/3 of the houses, what criteria would you recommend to choose them? I have conflicting thoughts: if I secure them for competitive houses, where they are more needed, they would give me a boost... but then again, as a sophomore, with no connections, they might essentially be a waste. Then again, if I secure them for less competitive groups, they might not have been needed to begin with. Again, I have no groups in mind that I specifically want very much to join. Should I just ignore these factors, find out what I can about each chapter on a national and campus level, and choose the ones I like regardless of the likelihood of a sophomore being given a bid?

After choosing for which houses to ask my local panhel for recs, I will continue to try to secure recs for the other houses. These are just a group of houses where I can be guaranteed a rec. Recs are not at all common at my school, and are by no means considered necessary.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Aeternum View Post
I'm a sophomore transfer to a southern school with deferred recruitment. It's not SEC-style competitive: the general thought is that most freshman can get a bid to a sorority, but there are some that are extremely competitive to get into. Sophomores can get bids, but not as often. I am very realistic about the situation: a sophomore, with no legacy, no close friends in the Greek system, average GPA. I would be honored to be invited to join any one of my campus's great sororities. I am determined, above all, to keep an open mind and not listen to tent talk.

I have been working for quite some time (since the beginning of the summer) to secure recs for each house. My local panhellenic has graciously agreed to secure me recs for about 1/3 of my school's sororities, any ones I should choose. The concern: I have found out everything I can about each house here, realistically. Although not close to any Greek women here, I have seen the girls- mostly in academic settings- interact with each other and with others. I know the general reputation of each group- although I am determined not to let that sway my decisions. There are a couple that, going in, I feel will likely not be strong matches for me. I have eliminated those from the ones I will choose for panhel-secured recs.

My question is this: Given recs to 1/3 of the houses, what criteria would you recommend to choose them? I have conflicting thoughts: if I secure them for competitive houses, where they are more needed, they would give me a boost... but then again, as a sophomore, with no connections, they might essentially be a waste. Then again, if I secure them for less competitive groups, they might not have been needed to begin with. Again, I have no groups in mind that I specifically want very much to join. Should I just ignore these factors, find out what I can about each chapter on a national and campus level, and choose the ones I like regardless of the likelihood of a sophomore being given a bid?

After choosing for which houses to ask my local panhel for recs, I will continue to try to secure recs for the other houses. These are just a group of houses where I can be guaranteed a rec. Recs are not at all common at my school, and are by no means considered necessary.
I had written a long reply but I lost it.

Basically all I wanted to say is that you have contradicted yourself - saying that you don't listen to tent talk, yet you already know that you are not a match for X number of groups. (Which usually translates into "I'm too good for those lower chapters).

How do you know that? You said yourself you don't know a lot of the Greek women. I think you are making a big mistake by not treating every chapter the same. Surely, going into recruitment with this approach will work against you. Read the plethora of recruitment threads - there are a lot of great suggestions.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:06 PM

If you are trying to get a rec for one sorority, try to get recs for them ALL. I'm not sure about your comment about how the alum panhel agreed to secure you 1/3 of the recs - it's almost like you're saying that they said they could only give you that many. I've never heard of such a thing.

If you've presented yourself as someone whose connections are zip (i.e. this is your only way to find recs) and then tell APH "I only need recs for [name chapters here]" that WILL get back to the unnamed chapters somehow - and you won't be looked on favorably AT ALL.

ETA: I just saw where you're going. You'd better free your mind right quick, sweetie.

Last edited by 33girl; 11-13-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the suggestions, and "reality-checks"... both much needed. I will take them to heart- especially about the contradiction ree-Xi pointed out. And 33girl, I had never thought of it in that light. You are absolutely right... I will use any connections I have first, and then ask Panhel for help on the ones I wasn't able to secure through other means.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

i don't understand why the alum. panhellenic will only give your recommendations to 1/3 of the sororities on your campus. do they only have alum. members in 1/3 of the chapters on your campus? if so, that makes sense, because they cannot write letters to sororities they are not members of. could that be the case? if not, please explain.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

First off, are you sure you need Recs?

The chapter I help out with - Southern, moderately competitive, and deffered accepts recs, but most PNMs don't have recs. To find this information out, I would check with your Greek Life office but also ask your friends who are already in sororities.

If you find out that recs are uber important, then get all that you can from your local Panhellenic and then start reaching out to friends, parent's friends, former teachers, etc to secure the ones you need. Its best to have recs to all the chapters that you can get your hands on.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

FSU- I am not sure if that is the case. I went through the paperwork process involved, and was contacted by an officer asking me to please specify a few specific chapters I had the most interest in. I just thought, Hey, they'll help me with a few recs! and went on thinking about how to do what they asked. It could be a limited number of people... maybe they have an unusually high number of girls asking, and are trying to limit the workload? That is just speculation: they gave no indication.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Aeternum View Post
FSU- I am not sure if that is the case. I went through the paperwork process involved, and was contacted by an officer asking me to please specify a few specific chapters I had the most interest in.
This is really weird, and completely contrary to the mission of Panhellenic. You aren't supposed to be picking and choosing chapters you have interest in before even beginning rush!!!

Something is hella sketchy here.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I can actually see this happening and it is not so strange to me.

Not every area has a strong alum. panhellenic that will get you all the recs you need.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baci View Post
I can actually see this happening and it is not so strange to me.

Not every area has a strong alum. panhellenic that will get you all the recs you need.
I can understand them saying "we only have members from X, Y and Z so that's all we can give you recs for." Places with all 26 I'm sure aren't the norm. But this sounds like they actually HAVE members of all the groups at her school and are asking her to pick in advance, knowing she doesn't have any other outlets to obtain recs. As I said - completely contrary to Panhellenic's mission, and deserving of a reprimand if there is such a thing.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I can understand them saying "we only have members from X, Y and Z so that's all we can give you recs for." Places with all 26 I'm sure aren't the norm. But this sounds like they actually HAVE members of all the groups at her school and are asking her to pick in advance, knowing she doesn't have any other outlets to obtain recs. As I said - completely contrary to Panhellenic's mission, and deserving of a reprimand if there is such a thing.
totally agree with 33. this just sounds weird and against the panhellenic spirit AND not in the pnms best interest to choose prior to recruitment which groups to "concentrate" on, by only being able to request a certain # of recs.

of course, i am not saying look a gift horse in the mouth, either. i would give the ladies a list of all the chapters on your campus with a note saying that you plan on giving each chapter an equal chance, and would appreciate a rec. to each one,as you would be proud to be a member of any of them. maybe they will come thru with recs. for all, after reading your sweet note.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 11-13-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

If I am not mistaken, only one or two alum panhellenics nationwide have representation from all 26 sororities. Our alum panhel has 18 or 19, I think and we help girls get recs to all sororities represented in our membership, although we did have members from DPhiE and ASA who said they only did Legacy-type recs....
Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Get recs through your own networking first. Then go to APH to fill in the holes, and when you request recs for the ones you are missing, make sure you emphasize that these are not necessarily your top choices, just the ones you don't have a rec for.

That is really weird about saying, "Ok, pick X number for us to write recs". They must have more than that number represented if they're asking the OP to make a choice.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
although we did have members from DPhiE and ASA who said they only did Legacy-type recs....
Clarify, please.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
If I am not mistaken, only one or two alum panhellenics nationwide have representation from all 26 sororities. Our alum panhel has 18 or 19, I think and we help girls get recs to all sororities represented in our membership, although we did have members from DPhiE and ASA who said they only did Legacy-type recs....
DPhiE members will write recs - it just turns out that the # of schools where dphie is + schools where you need recs is not a huge group. We have no national policy on writing recs nor one for legacies only. We also don't have a badge disposition policy or badge seekers or keepers etc.