GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,807
2 members and 2,805 guests
ChioLu, John

Old 07-31-2007, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Couldnt find Pledge GPA on search

i searched GPA but it said it was too short as you need four characters....
imma be a sophmore transfer and had a 3.5ish at my previous school...............is it possible to pull off a 3.0 during pledging?? Im pretty into schoolwork but also having a good time..but to get into an academic program i need to maintain a 3.0 for sophmore year and odnt want to bee TOO burdened with work and not sleeping...etc
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-31-2007, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Remember, graduating from College is the first prioity, but to become more well rounded becoming a member of a GLO is if nothing else, a big plus!

Grades also mean a lot to Greeks as not only on the local campus, but the Nationals too.

There have been thousands befor you that have done that and played sports, been involved in campus activities, and charity events. It is not all just a big party anymore.

Just make sure you know the members of any chapter and how they act and do concerning GPAs.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-31-2007, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude1234 View Post
i searched GPA but it said it was too short as you need four characters....
imma be a sophmore transfer and had a 3.5ish at my previous school...............is it possible to pull off a 3.0 during pledging?? Im pretty into schoolwork but also having a good time..but to get into an academic program i need to maintain a 3.0 for sophmore year and odnt want to bee TOO burdened with work and not sleeping...etc
Yes. Part of pledging a fraternity is making and maintaining good grades. As such, as Tom pointed out, *you* will need to find a chapter that is the best fit for you (balance) regarding academic life and social life.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

GPAA

OK so im a transfer sophmore and need a 3.6 in the next year to get into an academic program.......(3.7 is req).. is pledging for ATO, TKE, Pike, or FIJI too risky? or will i have time during pledginng to do well?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude1234 View Post
OK so im a transfer sophmore and need a 3.6 in the next year to get into an academic program.......(3.7 is req).. is pledging for ATO, TKE, Pike, or FIJI too risky? or will i have time during pledginng to do well?
There is no way that anyone here can tell you that pledging one of the specific groups you named will be "risky" on your gpa. We don't know what campus you are on, the type of program you are applying to, the reps of the particular fraternities on the campus.

Your best bet is to go through rush and be upfront with the groups you are interested in. Ask them about academics, studying time, pledge activities for the semester, etc. They can give you the information that we can't. Good luck.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 AM

I copied this from the University of West Georgia's IFC website.

Formal or informal, I found this on the University of West Georgia IFC website. I think it's a great list.

The Ten Commandments of Recruitment

These are ten commandments of Recruitment; ten tips that should make you very successful during this year's Recruitment. Learn them. Live them. And follow them!

1. Recruitment More than One Chapter
The best strategy for Recruitment is to explore all of your options. By doing that, you'll ensure that you make the best choice for yourself. Visit all the chapters early in the week, narrow down your choices to the three or four that you like best, then concentrate on them during the rest of Recruitment. Likewise, one of the easiest ways not to get a bid is to Recruitment only one chapter. Even if you know the chapter plans on giving you a bid, you may not be joining the best chapter for you. You may not know that until after it is too late. Any good fraternity should want you to check out other chapters. If their chapter is so strong, other chapters can only make them look better. And you'll have more peace of mind that you joined the right fraternity.

2. Don't stereotype the chapters
Don't be mislead by the size of a house, or where it is on campus. Chapters big and small, on campus or off, have a lot to offer you. It all depends what you are looking for. Larger fraternities may offer you more opportunities as a group, but a smaller chapter may give you more opportunity as an individual. You'll have more opportunity to be an officer in a smaller chapter, and your influence may be much greater there than in a larger or more established chapter. West Georgia has an excellent variety of small and large chapters. Choose one that fits your style. The chapter you join may not be #1 on campus, but with your leadership and influence, it can get there.

3. Ask Intelligent Questions
More importantly, look for intelligent answers. Questions are one of the best ways to show your interest in the chapter, and getting the answers ahead of time will save you any surprises down the road. Can I move into the house? How much are dues? What would be expected of me as a new member? What are your parties like? How long is the pledge program? Can I play intramurals? What is your chapter's view in hazing? The only bad questions are the ones you don't ask. Thinking about your questions ahead of time will keep the conversation rolling and show your interest. How can you be sure you're getting straight answers? Ask the same questions to different people in the house and compare what they say.

4. BE CONFIDENT
One of the most important tips during Recruitment is to act confident. No one is truly one hundred percent confident, but the more self-assured you can appear to be, the better.

5. Don't Try To Be Something You Are Not
Pick the chapter that fits your personality. Don't worry, there is a chapter out there for you.

6. Beware of Subtle Clues
Remember that Recruitment is a two-way street. You're looking for a chapter that fits your style, and they're looking for members that will fit theirs. If your not getting a warm reception, than don't waste what little time you have there.

7. Don't be Tied to Your Friends
Without a doubt, this is one of the most tragic mistakes you can make as a Recruitmentee. Joining a fraternity involves the development of total brotherhood, involvement with dozens of other men who share your common interests. Don't let the future be influenced by one individual. If he's such a close friend, he'll still be there if you decide to join another chapter. Every Greek has friends in other chapters. It will build your friendship base even stronger, giving you new friends and acquaintances.

8. Meet as Many Guys as You Can
Most chapters extend bids based on a vote of approval. In many chapters, at least 50-75% of the members need to give you the thumbs up in order for you to get a bid. Meet as many guys as you can, and don't hesitate to ask them to introduce you around. Be assertive and act confidently. Ask to meet the Recruitment chairmen and the officers. If they like you, they can have a lot of influence.

9. Be Available During Recruitment
Many chapters will send out flyers, invitations, and bids to you throughout Recruitment week. Be sure that the chapters you like have your phone number and room numbers, and they will be able to reach you. If you need to turn down an invitation to a chapter you really like, be sure to call their Recruitment chairman, thank him, and maybe make plans for a different event. Don't miss out on an event, or even a bid, because you could not be reached.

10. Use Careful Consideration in Accepting a Bid.
Remember that Recruitment is a limited time period. Your fraternity affiliation will last a lifetime. Keeping that in mind, don't make any rash decisions on accepting a bid. You don't need to feel pressured to accept a bid the moment it is offered. It won't be revoked while you check out other chapters. Don't always accept the first bid you receive. You'll probably get others, and they are all valid until the end of Recruitment, often times longer. Take your time and make the right choice!

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-21-2007, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
you can make as a Recruitmentee.
For some reason this made me lol. Do people really say recruitmentee, or did somebody get sloppy with the find/replace function for rush?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrigamiTulip View Post
For some reason this made me lol. Do people really say recruitmentee, or did somebody get sloppy with the find/replace function for rush?
Yeah, someone got real sloppy. lol

Old 08-21-2007, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

also, "Recruitment more than one chapter" replacing "Rush more than one chapter", haha
Old 08-21-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Have Fraternities gone to using Recruitment instead of Rush as well?

Is it an official NIC/IFC thing or a campus-to-campus thing?
Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

No, it is not an official NIC/IFC term used.

LXA was the first to drop Pledge and use new associate, there changed from rush to recruiting new associates.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

If you pick the right fraternity, then it shouldn't be a problem because they won't pull you away from school so much that your grades drop too much if at all. I know many guys that had their GPAs go up during pledging because they were forced to manage their time and work hard when they had the time. Also, if you do notice a drop in your grades a good fraternity will allow you to work on school more and try to bring your grades up
Old 12-08-2007, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends on your fraternity. The first priority of my fraternity is scholarship, they even give a $250 scholarship to every pledge who maintains a 3.0 through pledging. Pledging any REAL fraternity WILL negatively affect your grades but not to an extreme degree unless you let it.