GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,211
1 members and 1,210 guests
No Members online

Old 04-25-2006, 06:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Mormon

Could someone please explain for me?

I thought that Saturday was the "regular" day of worship as opposed to the "regular" Sunday?

The reason that I am asking is that we have a young woman who is Mormon; the chapter has decided to move the regular 9 p.m. chapter meetings from Monday to Sunday. She has stated that she is not able to come to the meetings but I just wanted to get a clarification on the Sat vs Sun issue.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Pretty sure Mormons go to church on Sunday...

http://www.mormon.org/question/worsh...,797-1,00.html

The only religions that I know of that worship on Saturday are the 7th Day Adventists and people of the Jewish faith.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaxikt

The only religions that I know of that worship on Saturday are the 7th Day Adventists and people of the Jewish faith.
Catholics also may worship on Saturday, but only if it's after a certain time (2pm I think, although most church's Saturday Masses start at 5pm or 7pm) and it COUNTS as if they went on Sunday.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaxikt
Pretty sure Mormons go to church on Sunday...

http://www.mormon.org/question/worsh...,797-1,00.html

Quoting from the above website:

Sabbath observance: Church members set Sunday aside as the Sabbath, or the Lord’s day—a day to worship God and rest from their labors. After attending worship services, they may spend the remainder of the day quietly at home, in visiting family or friends, and in doing good.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

After years of dealing with Mormon scouts and scouters who don't camp on Sunday, I think I can safely say they go to church on Sunday.
Section 71 Chair
Old 04-25-2006, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

My brother-in-law is Morman. They definitely worship on Sunday.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, y'all!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Actually if YOu beleive all of the Relegious Hype, The Bible or waht ever says that God worked 6 days and rested on the 7 th. Right?

Who told God what day it was and is Sat. not the last day of the week? Sunday according to A Calendar is Sunda, the first day of the week.

Heck, I am not a Theologian, just a Human Being!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-25-2006, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Saturday used to be the Sabbath...

Little known fact shared: it was a ROMAN EMPEROR that changed the SABBATH DAY to Sunday...

The actual sabbath day, as referred to by the Ten Commandments, was ORIGINALLY SATURDAY (the 7th day in the week - referring to the 7th day of creation).

A Roman emperor changed the sabbath to the 1st day of the week for some strange reason...

So really, we shouldn't be arguing...

The actual sabbath is SATURDAY - but we have been trained by modern society to observe it on Sunday...
Old 04-25-2006, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Saturday used to be the Sabbath...

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfinDBeach
The actual sabbath is SATURDAY - but we have been trained by modern society to observe it on Sunday...
I was taught that we worship on Sunday since Christ rose on the third day after his crucificion...which was Sunday morning.

While the Ten Commandments are useful, Christians are under a new covenant with God (based on Christ's sacrifice) which allows one to pray directly to HIM and not go through the priests and other strict dictates of the Old Testament (like animal sacrifices and yes worshiping on Saturday). If you read the New Testament there were ongoing debates when the faith was first founded about those that were still trying to follow the old rules and the new (for example circumcision while popular now used to be a way to identify a Jewish man and was not practiced by others).

I'll leave it at that so as not to start a religious debate...
Old 04-26-2006, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Re: Saturday used to be the Sabbath...

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfinDBeach
Little known fact shared: it was a ROMAN EMPEROR that changed the SABBATH DAY to Sunday...

The actual sabbath day, as referred to by the Ten Commandments, was ORIGINALLY SATURDAY (the 7th day in the week - referring to the 7th day of creation).

A Roman emperor changed the sabbath to the 1st day of the week for some strange reason...

So really, we shouldn't be arguing...

A DaVinci Code reader, I see. There was reverence for both Saturday (Jewish Sabbath) and, later, also Sunday (Lord's Day - day that Jesus was resurrected). Of course the very earliest Christians worshipped on Saturday because they were all Jewish by birth.

When people talk about "Christian Sabbath" they mean Sunday which is the "Lord's Day."

What you have to understand is that the early evangelists saw Jesus as a fulfillment of Mosaic law...they did not consider that he did away with the law. Jewish-Christians were still (and are still) Jewish. Therefore, they would still observe their cultural traditions and laws.

However, when Jesus came, the boundaries were broken and Gentiles were openly able to come into the covenant without having to become Jewish (by proselytizing).

The Gentiles brought new cultures into Christianity...I'd venture a guess that it was Gentiles who began observing the Lord's Day, but I can't know for sure.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Re: Re: Saturday used to be the Sabbath...

Quote:
Originally posted by stardusttwin
While the Ten Commandments are useful, Christians are under a new covenant with God (based on Christ's sacrifice) which allows one to pray directly to HIM and not go through the priests and other strict dictates of the Old Testament (like animal sacrifices and yes worshiping on Saturday).
Jews do pray directly do God!! And, they did throughout the Old Testament. As I said in the other post, Jesus came to fulfill the law. Because of his sacrifice, animal sacrifices were no longer necessary. Rather than the laws of Moses, Jesus brought the law of liberty - freedom from restrictions only so far as one pleases God and does not become a "stumbling-block" to the weaker brother. And, Saturday worship is a special cultural connection that God has with Israel. It was not made obsolete by Jesus...it was fully realized in him.

Quote:
If you read the New Testament there were ongoing debates when the faith was first founded about those that were still trying to follow the old rules and the new (for example circumcision while popular now used to be a way to identify a Jewish man and was not practiced by others).
I admit that I'm a bit more progressive and trying to break free from the reactionary nature of Protestant Reformation thought, but I would challenge this point and say that it was not an issue of following "old rules and the new." It was an issue of using the old rules to exclude non-Jews from the faith.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by emb021
After years of dealing with Mormon scouts and scouters who don't camp on Sunday, I think I can safely say they go to church on Sunday.
LOL.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Mormon

There was a Mormon guy in one of my architecture studios...he wouldn't show up to work on projects till after I think midnight Sunday night/Monday morning. We speculated that Mormon's aren't supposed to do any type of work on Sundays. So if you changed your chapter meeting to 12:15am Monday morning your Mormon sister would probably be there.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I was thinking that a good solution would be to write the chapter minutes on gold tablets, but she would probably just lose them die trying to break out of jail while traveling across the country. So I sat down a little bit longer and realized that the best way to solve this problem is to give her a funnily shaped stone and make her rub it under a hat, it worked for Joe Smith.