GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,465
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, EmilOrtiz4
» Online Users: 2,405
0 members and 2,405 guests
No Members online

Old 07-02-2001, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Financial programs?

Just wondering if anyone out there has any good "proven" methods of collecting dues from chapter members. We've been on Omega for the last few years, but it seems that we're not getting the full benefit versus the cost to even make it work. Our dues aren't that much (around $300 a semester), but so many guys wait until the END of the semester to pay. Fines don't work because if they're not paying dues, then they're not going to pay some stupid fine. I was just wondering if anyone had any WRITTEN financial policies, membership contracts or such that have proven to be effective.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2001, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Do you have payment plans? We tried a year round payment plan system, even in the summer, so that we have money all the time for the group. It works out pretty well, but we don't have a hard time collecting dues to begin with.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pike4Life:
Just wondering if anyone out there has any good "proven" methods of collecting dues from chapter members. We've been on Omega for the last few years, but it seems that we're not getting the full benefit versus the cost to even make it work. Our dues aren't that much (around $300 a semester), but so many guys wait until the END of the semester to pay. Fines don't work because if they're not paying dues, then they're not going to pay some stupid fine. I was just wondering if anyone had any WRITTEN financial policies, membership contracts or such that have proven to be effective.
Old 07-02-2001, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Cool

We collect dues over the summer too... it works out pretty well... sisters can be on a payment plan of so much every month, or can pay the 200 in full at the beginning of the fall semester...

<3Ali

------------------
Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma
Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron
Old 07-02-2001, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
We had written rules about activities if you were behind in dues. No social events if not current/on payment plan.

Our dues were Steep.$700 a semester live out of house, $2250 live in house. The payment plan saved my butt, as it took both semesters and divided it into 12 months--which splitting that with my parents, made it way more affordable for me.
Old 07-02-2001, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

What we have just done, is to take the payment out of the hands of the active chapter for house rent and put it in the hands of the House Corp. This is to take the onus from having to collect from your active Brother and put it on us!

We can look like the bad guys so that the current Brothers do not have to! It is hard to give someone hell about the bills if you see them all the time! But in the same vein, those who do not pay their bills cause a hardship on the others!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 07-02-2001, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
We started issuing ultimatums, like: "you can't go to formal if you don't have your money in by a cetain date" or "you can't order any chapter t-shirts if you don't have all your current payments in."
Old 07-03-2001, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I have seen some chapters offer discounts for paying early - like 15% off. Or everyone who pays by X date is entered into a raffle to get their dues back or something.

While negative incentive -ie restricting social privledges- usually works, I like positive ones instead.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Aphigal, I like that idea, however not every chapter can afford to lose a person's dues money. Unfortunately, negative incentives are the only really practical way for my chapter. Of course, we have to pay dues at the beginning of the semester unless we're going on a payment plan. We have a member discipline program, which a sister can be placed on if she is delinquent in dues for an extended amount of time. I just took over as treasurer for my chapter at the very end of the spring semester (our former treasurer is very sick) and a lot of the sisters have been really great about paying their fall dues early, even though they don't have to!

[This message has been edited by SSS1365 (edited August 07, 2001).]
Old 08-07-2001, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
We've had problems with ppl paying dues before, so in my chapter the penalty for being in arrears is very steep. Instant suspension, no executive meeting, no delay period. However, anyone on a payment plan is not considered being in arrears, even if it's like a dollar a day, as long as you have a plan with our treasurer, you're in good financial standing.

It sounds really rough, but you can instantly be taken off suspension just as quickly by working out a payment plan. Its an effective-if a bit unpleasant-system

------------------
------------------
The Fraternity of Presidents and Kings: TKE
Old 08-07-2001, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

AMyCat- I thought paying $425 a month for rent to live in the sorority house and $260 a semester for dues was bad- remind me not to complain anymore!
It's too bad you can't threaten to kick out people for not paying except that doesn't work- one the guys could be great guys and just not good at making payments 2)kicking out guys means other guys must pay higher dues etc to make up for it!
Hmm I wonder how people can afford to go on spring break, yet can't pay their dues on time?!
Old 08-16-2001, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I definitely think it's important for a chapter advisor or someone who's NOT an active member be responsible for collecting dues, setting forth a payment plan, etc. To a lot of people, financial information is often something they don't want to share with a peer. We were really lucky--our Chapter Advisor was an accountant, so she was really efficient and our stuff was always perfect.

We have payment plans, and one can pay her dues by CC. Of course, you get a 15% discount if you pay by check.
Old 08-19-2001, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Heather
We used to have a problem colleting dues. Here's a few things I did when I was treasurer: We "reminded" members that they owed money by putting their name on the dry erase board during meeting, some really just forget. (If a sister was having financial difficulties, she could sign a contract and her name was NOT posted.) The contracts really helped out a lot, the girls knew if they violated the terms of the contract their membership was in jeopardy. The contracts were from our national handbook/manual. I REALLY encouraged members to pay by the semester, they tended to have more $$ at the beginning than at the end. Not everyone was able to afford this, but for the ones that could, it was great for both of us. Otherwise we pay monthly. We also didn't allow members to attend social functions if their dues were not up to date. Our financial advisor was a great help, she spoke at one of our first meetings and basically told everyone that if you didn't pay, you didn't play! We had people suggest getting a discount for paying it all early, but that's really hard to do when you have made a budget and planned everything down to the penny. To not get that money would completely mess up the budget. Good luck!