GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,326
0 members and 2,326 guests
No Members online

Old 04-20-2001, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

dee_style, that WAS a tear jerker!

I really appreciate your thoughful, heartfelt response. For those of us who have been members for a while--be it 1 year or 50--your message creates a little nostalgia in our hearts about the days of our pursuits. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading thoughts and experiences much like the ones I had when I was a teenager!

May God Bless You In Your Endeavors to Join the Sisterhood!

the411

------------------
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Pi Kappa, SP97
#3 of QUINTESSENCE

[This message has been edited by the411 (edited April 20, 2001).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-20-2001, 08:50 PM
dee_style1

Quote:
Originally posted by the411:
dee_style, that WAS a tear jerker!

I really appreciate your thoughful, heartfelt response. For those of us who have been members for a while--be it 1 year or 50--your message creates a little nostalgia in our hearts about the days of our pursuits. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading thoughts and experiences much like the ones I had when I was a teenager!

May God Bless You In Your Endeavors to Join the Sisterhood!

the411

Girl, I am so happy, I could cry.

My efforts have not gone unoticed around campus and hopefully my day will come soon!

Thank you, and like I said thats not all of my reasons. Shoot, that was a long post; I hope nobody asks me why in person cause they are gonna be there for a while!!

DEE

Old 04-21-2001, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

i don't know why i waited so long to post my sentiments, but, here goes...

i have an aunt and three cousins who are members of delta sigma theta. when i was about nine and,not really knowing what delta was, or a sorority for that matter, i just assumed that i was going to be one so i could be like my kinfolks. i guess you could say the seed was planted.

when i got about thirteen or fourteen, i would watch the annual stepshow, "stomp," on television and the deltas always seemed to win. so i thought, "yeah, i want to be a delta because they step the best."

my first year of high school, i had a history teacher who was a member of aka. she was fair skinned with long hair, so some of the girls in my class were like "that's why she's an aka and that's why i want to be one. since you're dark (but i had long hair) you should be a delta." i was like "i want to be one anyway."

my senior year, i was on the newspaper staff. it was close to graduation time so i wrote an article about black greeks. i had an older sister in college who told me a little about them, but, i got on the internet and did some research. that was the first time i had ever heard of alpha phi alpha, zeta phi beta sigma, and sigma gamma rho (i can't recall iota phi theta. this was 1998, so maybe i had, but i'm not sure). even after doing brief research, my mind didn't change.

the summer before i started college, i visited my sister in summer school (she went to the college i now attend) and met one of her friends who was an alpha. i said "when i get up here, i'm going to be a delta." and he laughed! he first told me not to tell anyone else that and then asked me why. all i could say was "cuz.."

i came back later that summer for freshman orientation. all of the organizations were representing but, the only ones who actually came up to me and said hello and asked my name was none other than delta sigma theta. i left thinking "man, they are real cool. now i really want to be one."

when i got to school, i started hearing all this "do your research" and what not. i was thinking, "why, i know what i want to do." but then i realized i didn't know why i wanted to do it. i was lucky enough to befriend a member who shared her experience with me and it just touched me so much. i also figured that i couldn't find out much from the internet and, because i didn't have my own computer, i didn't want to look up the other sororities in the computer lab either. so i observed.

this isn't meant to down any other organization, but, i wasn't impressed. i gave it my first semester to see who did what and what i could find out about who. although my campus has all four sororites (actually, we have the entire d9), the only sororities making moves were delta and aka. but it seemed as if they were moving in opposite directions. it just strengthed my desire even more. ya'll, that seed planted some 10 years ago was finally getting some light and nourishment.

after reading "in search of sisterhood," attending numerous functions sponsored by delta sigma theta, meeting dynamic women who are undeniably proud of their organization, and praying "Lord, if it's for me, send me a sign." and countless hours of soul-searching, i can confidently say that i think delta sigma theta would be a wonderful asset to my life and i would be one to the organization.

i want to be affiliated with educated ladies who may have differing personalities, but the common goal of bettering, not just the campus, not just the state, not just the black community, but the world. like someone mentioned earlier, the five-point program is AWESOME! i want to be affiliated with women striving to promote awareness of and assist in areas of economics, politics (which has always been a passion of mine), health, education (another passion of mine), and international relations. and i want to assist these ladies, on a personal level, in making an indeliable mark on the lives of so many.

i have been carrying around these feelings for some time now, waiting for my time. the passion about, respect for and desire to be a member of this sorority is so great, that sometimes it is hard to contain it. i find myself, as another mentioned, thinking about it all the time. my mother has said that she will be glad when i become a member so i can quit talking about it. ya'll, she just don't know. she and my sister thought i was silly the way i talked about it so much. but guess what, i got my sister thinking about going grad chapter! i've used many words in this post, but i can never seem to find the exact words to express just how much i want to be a member of this sorority...

------------------
I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind
Old 04-22-2001, 08:59 PM

Wink

dee_style 1 your post was wonderful. I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and feel truly blessed when I can make the sort of impression on sisterfriends as your DST role model has made on you...and, I try to do that every day. Keep up the good work Ladies of DST. I'm surrounded by you guys during my family reunions (I'm only one of about two AKA's in my family), but I got mad love for ya!
Old 04-23-2001, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, this is a lovely question. This is a question that I have asked myself and am ready to answer.
In high school, one of the most important women was my high school assistant principal, who encourage and helped me through Senior Year and guided me through college decisons and told me about her college years. It is because of her that I knew of the exsistance of soroity's, however until I came to college, I never knew what they were about or what they stood for.
My freshman year of college, I had the pleasure of meeting and knowing a woman of Delta Sigma Theta Soroity. Just the presence of her alone command the respect of everyone where ever she went and whatever she did recieved the attention of of everyone there. From the few blackgreeks that we had on campus this lady truly exeplified what it meant to be an African American woman reprenting an historically black soroity. Proud, respectful, and strong...just to name a few of her qualities.
Because of her I decided to do research, however I did not limit my research to Delta Sigma Theta but it was not long before I realize exactly what it is about DST...
It is the commitment to the community, the strong bond of sisterhood, and the high reguard of excellence that drew me to Delta Sigma Theta. Just from the book In Search of Sisterhood, my passion about DST began to grow and continues. Finding out new things everyday about the orgaization helps me to shape simple passion for the organization into complete and ultimate love.
With this, I called home to my assistant principal telling her what I had learn and explaining to her why I would like to be a member of DST. To my surprise, she told me that she is a member of Delta Sigma Theta Soroity Inc. I was happy and suprised, however my amazement did not last long for she embodied the qualities that I saw in the woman of DST that I had met on campus. She was strong, independent, respectful, and proud for she also was A woman of DST.
To be apart of such wonderful women.....wow!!

------------------
*Amor es una cosa esplendida*

[This message has been edited by hopefulpassion (edited April 23, 2001).]
Old 04-23-2001, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Sisterfriends, THANKS for sharing your journey's with us!

When I entered college in 1985, I was the FIRST in my close family to attend college so not only did I not know a great deal about college but hardly anything about Greek Life. As it would turn out, at the pre-Freshman weekend that my college hosts every year, my guide was an Alpha whose girlfriend was a Delta. During that weekend, I found that members of these two orgs were the most active in campus life and the most down to earth. To this day, these two orgs are the most active on campus

I was also lucky to be assigned a mentor for my freshman year who was also a Delta. These were the women to whom I connected and felt comfortable. I was honored with an invitation to membership my sophomore year along with my (then) roomate and another good friend from my class.

Funny thing is that when I visited back home, I learned that most of the together sisters I knew from high school also pledged Delta! I also learned that many of the together sisters in the city were sorors (i.e. superintendent of schools, a popular consumer reports journalist, the only Black female on the superior court, etc). Delta women are everywhere doing everything!

Sisterfriends, I wish you success on your journey to DeltaLand.

Sorors, I LOVE YOU! OOOOOOOOOOO-OOOP!!!

------------------
MCCOYRED
Mu Psi '86
BaltCo Alumnae

Dynamic...Salient...Temperate...Since 1913
Old 04-24-2001, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to snoopy922 Send a message via Yahoo to snoopy922
Smile

Quote:
When I entered college in 1985, I was the FIRST in my close family to attend college so not only did I not know a great deal about college but hardly anything about Greek Life.
Funny thing is that when I visited back home, I learned that most of the together sisters I knew from high school also pledged Delta! I also learned that many of the together sisters in the city were sorors (i.e. superintendent of schools, a popular consumer reports journalist, the only Black female on the superior court, etc). Delta women are everywhere doing everything!

Sisterfriends, I wish you success on your journey to DeltaLand.

Sorors, I LOVE YOU! OOOOOOOOOOO-OOOP!!!
My sentiments exactly. I know that several of the smartest, most together girls in my elementary school and high school pledged Delta. It's funny; the same girls who I used to 'compete' with for grades are all my Sorors now! Now that I am on the other side, words cannot even express how much I love being a member of this illustrious sorority. Knowing that no matter where you are, you will always have a sister, a Soror to help you when things go wrong (as they sometimes will:P). That's beautiful. I am in awe of our National leaders; these women are leaders not only in Delta, but in their respective communities and careers.

I wonder if our founders realized in their greatest dreams that they would be mothers to a over quarter of a million dynamic, beautiful, strong black women dedicated to service??

And Sorors, I love you too!!

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited May 09, 2001).]
Old 04-24-2001, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

It is my dream to be a part of you
To be a part of your future, your goals, your dreams.
Oh what is it that I have to do
I’m willing to do anything- by any means.

All of my friends love you so much
Because their lives, you have touched.
You’re not like the rest; you’re different from the group
And this is why to you I will always remain true.

I stand for what you stand for, and you stand for what I…
I just can’t let something like you pass me by.
I will keep working until you finally see
That I am you, and you are me.

Now I know that you can play hard to get
But the harder the tribulations, the more you are worth it.
You never had anything handed to you on a silver spoon
You worked for what you believed in, and I will to.

So now all I can do is hope that the day comes
When we emerge and become one!

Old 04-29-2001, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Hello...I have been reading the posts on this message board for sometime but I have never posted....when I came across this topic I figured this would be the perfect time...
Whenever I set goals in my life, I always strive for the best. In MY opinion Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is THE BEST organization for me. My reasoning is not based on the influence of anyone else, but it is based on deep soul searching and prayer. I was first exposed to this organizaation in my 8th grade year in school when my history teacher got me involved in Teen Lift. This was my first exposure to any type of greek organization. As a naive child, I was mesmerized and all I knew was I wanted to be just like all of these women. However, as I got older I was exposed to other organizations and I was like, well what in the world am I supposed to do now... So I started doing research and what I learned was all of the organizations were founded on strong principles and all of the organations strive for the upliftment of the Black community. I then looked to myself and asked myself what organization I could see myself decdicated to for the rest of my life and the conclusion I came to was Delta. Delta is something that I know I want deep down in my heart. I don't know if there are any words that express how passionately feel about this oragnization. Coming to college and seeing the activities of the organization served to make the desire that much stronger. The Deltas at my school are always having some type of program that serves to uplift, enlighten and unite the student body, which I think I very important at a predominantly white school. Now don't get me wrong, I don't care if I was at a school where the Delta's didn't ever have a program or if the only activities they threw were parties (though I doubt that ever occurs) I would still want to be a member in hopes that I could be an instrument of improvement for the organization. But because the Deltas are so active and visible, it makes the desire to belong that much stronger. In speaking with members of your organization about my interest, I was asked if I could never wear the letters or tell anyone that I was a memeber of Delta Sigma Theta, would I still want to be a member? And my answer was yes. I don't care if I could never wear the letters, the colors, throw up the sign, do the call, step, or anything else like that because I would know in my heart that I am a part of the GREATEST sisterhood in the world and that I am making a difference through my organization and that is all that matters.
***SORRY THIS IS SO LONG***
Old 04-30-2001, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Great question!! Sisterfriends, what would your answer be...???

Quote:
Originally posted by IBelieveInMe:
[B] In speaking with members of your organization about my interest, I was asked if I could never wear the letters or tell anyone that I was a memeber of Delta Sigma Theta, would I still want to be a member? And my answer was yes. I don't care if I could never wear the letters, the colors, throw up the sign, do the call, step, or anything else like that because I would know in my heart that I am a part of the GREATEST sisterhood in the world and that I am making a difference through my organization and that is all that matters.
B]

------------------
MCCOYRED
Mu Psi '86
BaltCo Alumnae

Dynamic...Salient...Temperate...Since 1913
Old 04-30-2001, 01:16 PM
dee_style1

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred:
Great question!! Sisterfriends, what would your answer be...???

Uhhh, YESSS!!

I always get asked this question...I believe that as long as I get that feeling inside, I'm alright. But, I also know that if I become a member, I would be very fruitful. I think it would be important to show that I am representing a certain organization. The example of a Christian comes to my mind. It really doesn't do any one else any good if a Christian (who lives their life according to the scripture)does not let his/her light shine. I'm not saying that wearing the symbols of DST is of utmost importance, but wearing them would be like being a living witness. (correct me if I'm wrong)

On the other hand...

When I went to a rush last year, one of the alumnae members stood to say that she always felt as if she was a Delta, minus the offical stuff. What she meant was that she already represented her self to the highest standard and the way she knew Deltas to be.

I don't think I'll go that far with it because unlike her, I'm still trying to get in (and I don't want to seem cocky). But I think that her point is another way of saying that the letters did not make her a Delta, it is the work that she does after.

DEE

[This message has been edited by dee_style1 (edited April 30, 2001).]
Old 04-30-2001, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My admiration for Delta is based on the people I've come in contact with and the research of the history of the organization. Although wearing the colors and doing the call is showing pride for your organization, it's not what's important to me. I don't want to be a Delta because I want to step, wear the colors, or do the call, all of these things are superficial(know offense but these things are not as important). The real enjoyment comes from being recognized for your efforts and the pride you receive for lending a helping hand to resolving the issues that are important in our society.

[This message has been edited by candygirl (edited April 30, 2001).]
Old 05-08-2001, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hey Everyone. I know I'm a little late to post to this topic, but I'm going to say my piece anyway.
I've known about DST since I was a little girl. I was always surrounded by members of the organization, from family members, to my god-mother, to my teachers in elementary through high school, and members of my church. I attended all types of Delta events with my mother from fashion shows to banquets. In high school I became involved with Delteens, which kept me very busy along with being in Jack&Jill, where a lot of the mothers were Deltas.
They made sure that we knew how to carry ourselves and stressed the importance of helping those that were less fortunate. We participated in many activities that heightened our cultural awareness and made us proud to be young black women.
In college, I've attended as many activities sponsored by the Deltas as possible. Everytime I see a Delta on campus, I think of how blessed she is to be a part of such a wonderful organization. I can't help but to admire her and hope to be like her one day!
Old 05-09-2001, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Before coming to college I did not know what a "Greek" was. At my first party in college I saw that there were people going around the dance floor and none of it made sense to me. So of course I started asking people what were they doing and why. Now that I think about it the one sorority that I was mainly focused on was Delta.
When I heard that there was going to be a Greek Forum, out of curiosity, I had to go. While there everyone, from their respective organizations spoke on their organization's programs and history . I must admit that I was most impressed with how the Deltas finished one anothers sentences and there were so many of them there, there seemed to be a great bond between them that I didn't see in the others. And when one of the Deltas named off all 22 of the founders I couldn't help but stare. They spoke with such authority and poise. I just sat there in awe. That was my first glimps of Delta.

I was so impressed that I started researching and I learned about the rich history and the obstacles that were placed before the founders. In a time when African Americans had so much oppression these women did what they had to do for themselves and the community at large. One of the things that really stick out in my mind about Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is how soon the founders got down to business. Where other organizations waited years to do their National Community Service project...the Deltas did theirs only 3 months after they were founded. To me that is truly an indicator of the greatness of this organization and the convictions it is founded on.
I found that people who I have admired and looked towards for inspiration are Deltas. Strong, Intelligent, Inner/Outer Beauty, determined women...those are words that come to mind when I think of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.and the women affiliated with it. After all of this and so much more how could I not be interested in Delta? Every woman who is a part of Delta, who will be, and has been has my utmost respect and admiration.

*If I have mis-writtten something please correct me*
Old 05-09-2001, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Well, as for me, I have always been deeply concerned with the rights of others. I've always believed that I was blessed with so much and that some day, I would like to be a blessing in someone else's life. By helping others to gain the rights to improve their lives as well as those that they care about, is a dream to me. I've always been active in trying to help my community, locally and nationally. However, at times I just don't think it's enough. Currently, I'm bursting with ideas to bring upliftment to my college campus. It is in desperate need of change. However, I would like to share this civil revival with a group that shares my vision. Yes, I know the other sororities are completely about sisterhood and community service, but, I need more. I want to help everyone, not just my sister. I AM my brother's keeper! I want to represent my nation, my community, my self and those that are silently crying out for change... whether it be about politics, economics, or self-improvement. I just want to work. I don't want to be limited. I want to have some diversity in the services that I provide for others.

PEACE

"trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5)