GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,348
2 members and 2,346 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Pearl Sister

I saw something (in the Quarterly, I think) about being a pearl sister for the chapter colonizing at USCar. I am interested in being a Pearl sister, but I have to say the info on the website is a little limited. I know I have read in another thread that some of you ladies have done this before. I am interested in some input; I live in MD, not close to South Carolina. I graduated from collage eleven years ago, could I still be helpful I have to admit this seems like a no- brainier: encourage an interested young lady that Alpha Gamma Delta is worth the effort of establishing the colony and, (as a side note, please, tell me I have an excuse to buy gifts!) that it is just the beginning of a life long story. Is there something that I am missing?

LiEP, Liz

BTW I rarely post, so this is meant to be in the Alpha Gamma Delta forum.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL girl in MD View Post
I saw something (in the Quarterly, I think) about being a pearl sister for the chapter colonizing at USCar. I am interested in being a Pearl sister, but I have to say the info on the website is a little limited. I know I have read in another thread that some of you ladies have done this before. I am interested in some input; I live in MD, not close to South Carolina. I graduated from collage eleven years ago, could I still be helpful I have to admit this seems like a no- brainier: encourage an interested young lady that Alpha Gamma Delta is worth the effort of establishing the colony and, (as a side note, please, tell me I have an excuse to buy gifts!) that it is just the beginning of a life long story. Is there something that I am missing?

LiEP, Liz

I signed up to be a Pearl Sister for a colony member at Austin Peay. I had no idea what I was supposed to do -- I was given this young lady's name and e-mail info from the IVP-A but I wasn't sure what to do next.

So I emailed her and told her my Alpha Gam story. How I became an Alpha Gam, a few stories from my college years, and what it's been like these last 12 years I've been a member. I wasn't sure if she'd even write me back, but she did and we ended up friends on Facebook. I also followed the Austin Peay AGD Facebook Page and witnessed her journey to Initiation via FB photos. A few weeks before Initiation I bought her a small gift set so she got it by Initiation Day.

She's thousands of miles away and I don't know if we'll ever meet but we'll always have that connection. She's now an alumna active with her alum group since she initiated as a Senior. I hope she continues her involvement with AGD!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

LiEP, Liz

I signed up to be a Pearl Sister for South Carolina.

Link is at the bottom of this page

Yes - it's pretty much a no brainer... a way to get the colony members connected outside of the university and to realize Alpha Gam is bigger than them.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the replies, as I said on the website all they tell you is to keep in contact, I have e-mail and facebook, but I'm not on twitter so I didn't want some poor girl to think she was stuck with a dinosaur but, again I go back to the thought; I can help out my sorority, it seems so easy?! I will sign up tomorrow and I am really excited, even DH thought it seemed like a good idea (I tried to explain the idea of colonizing, I think he has an understanding?.)

Liz
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Not trying to crash your thread, but do pearl sisters help members of colonizing chapters or new members of every chapter?

Either way this is an awesome idea and I wish my sorority did this!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Not trying to crash your thread, but do pearl sisters help members of colonizing chapters or new members of every chapter?

Either way this is an awesome idea and I wish my sorority did this!
As my fabulous sister DoctorD mentioned, it's a way to help colony members realize that the Fraternity is so much bigger than what's on campus. The girl I was paired up with even said, "you're the first person I've 'met' from [insert my state here]!"

On a related note, my alum chapter supports Alum Chums -- alums who volunteer to be paired with a New Member for that very same purpose.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been a Pearl Sister for colony members at Syracuse, Arizona State, Austin Peay, St. Joseph's and maybe 1 more??

I've only gotten to meet one (so far).. I met AP the weekend before Initiation Week.

Still stay in touch with all of them via FB and email.

Looking forward to South Carolina! Would be super cool to get a New Member from the town I was born in.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
Would be super cool to get a New Member from the town I was born in.
I claim first dibs on any Lugoff/Camden girls!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Let Lisa W. know!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
Let Lisa W. know!
Already did

I got the email saying I was a pearl sister last week!!! I'm actually going to my 10 year reunion (DAMN) in Camden in 3 weeks so I'm going to try to make a trip over to Columbia while I'm there
Old 09-24-2012, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I finally got my e-mail...but... Lisa said they had all the pearls for South Carolina, however, I could sign up for Villanova, so I did! Of course now I have to wait a few months . In the meantime, if there is anyone else who wants to share their experience, I would love to hear about it! I need something to keep me busy til next year.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

So excited for Bid Day later this week.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I finally got my Villanova pearl sister! She says she is so excited to be in Alpha Gam!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I finally got my Villanova pearl sister! She says she is so excited to be in Alpha Gam!
Awesome! Glad to see you are doing this!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!

Definitely wanna be a Pearl sister for UT Chattanooga!