GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,125
2 members and 1,123 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 07-21-2004, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Plans for colonizing? Where would you like to see us?

Have we heard anything if we're colonizing or recolonizing anywhere this year? Just curious.

I've also seen in a few other threads of orgs saying where they'd like to colonize/recolonize, anyone up to play that game?

I'd like to see us back at Boston University. As far as colonization goes, I'd have to think about it for a bit.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 07-21-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I spoke with the Director of Extension at Convention, and she was unable to share any news of where the next chapter might be. We'll have to wait and see!

I invited her to our Province Meeting, since she spent so much time here for the Harvard colonization that she knows everyone and it's become somewhat of a second home. She said "That would be great! We could visit BU while I'm there!" I don't know if Boston's Alumnae Association could easily support a fourth chapter, though. In addition to Harvard, it already provides advisers and financial support for U Mass - Amherst and Babson.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 07-21-2004, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Plans for colonizing? Where would you like to see us?

Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa
I'd like to see us back at Boston University. As far as colonization goes, I'd have to think about it for a bit.
Please pardon the thread crash, but I just wanted to second this.

Since Bostonia printed the "Greek Revival" article on a "then and now" perspective of Greek life (and a very positive article at that!) I've been hoping that BU alumni/ae would rally to restore the old chapters that were destroyed by 1970. A lot of early NPC history got mothballed and I'd like to see it restored too.

--add
ETA: Adrienne's Kappa connection - my niece is a recently-graduated Kappa from UC Santa Barbara

Last edited by adduncan; 07-21-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

ISU -- I was just thinking about creating this thread last night!!

I also would like to see Kappa back at BU and UPenn because they are both big-named northern schools and I have friends (independent friends) who go there.

I am looking at my Kappa notebook for the different chapters who have closed and I see that the closing of the chapter at University of Maryland College Park was recent (1992), does anyone know the reason and if we will ever be back?

As for colonization, I would love to see another chapter in New Jersey (my home state) because we only have one at Princeton! The University of Delaware is also a popular school up here without a Kappa chapter!

From what I have seen and what I have read, it seems Kappa is very conservative about colonization and re-colonization... and I think that contributes to so much of our success (I am remembering the thread that said we only had 19 dormant chapters)! Yay us!
Old 07-21-2004, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Mississippi State would be my 1st choice. I was involved in the colonization of Epsilon Tau and was so sad to hear of the closing. My chapter (Delta Rho) is the only chapter in Mississippi now. I would also love to see one at the Univ. of Southern Mississippi.

As far as South Carolina goes, I would love to see a chapter at the College of Charleston. We presented a while back, but another GLO was chosen.

Of course, I would love a Kappa chapter everywhere!!! There are so many factors that go into starting a chapter--where, alumnae support, etc.--that I'm glad the Big Blue Owls make those decisions! I like the fact that Kappa is very thoughtful about starting new chapters, and I didn't realize how few chapters had been lost until I read it on another thread.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RiaLucia
Yes, I agree with the last two who said that part of our success is probably attributed to the fact that we are so selective with where we choose to colonize.

That said, in Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania--the three states I am most frequently in, we have quite a few chapters. So, as far as around my neck of the woods, I don't have any preferences where I'd like to see Kappa go. I'm looking at the Kappa Notebook and notice that we're not in the Dakotas, Vermont, Maine, or Nevada, so I'd like to see some there. I'd be great to have chapters in every state, but that may be easier said than done, especially with alumni support being so important to the cause and some of those states may simply not have that many.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shima-Mizu
Reading Maria's post somehow gave me insight as to realizing where I've been wanting to see us colonize.

College's / Universities on Long Island. So when I go home there would actually be sisters nearby to visit... because currently there aren't any active chapters nearby ;_;
Old 08-03-2004, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RiaLucia
I'd be great to have chapters in every state, but that may be easier said than done, especially with alumni support being so important to the cause and some of those states may simply not have that many.
In Maine and Vermont, that is definitely the case! Alumnae are quite literally few and far between.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 08-11-2004, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like to see more chapters in the midwest. I am a Kappa at Valapraiso University in Indiana. There are plenty of Kappa chapters near there, but when I go home to the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, the only chapter is at the U of MN. I plan on living in MN when I graduate and would love more chapters to be involved with.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Quote:
Originally posted by Shima-Mizu
Reading Maria's post somehow gave me insight as to realizing where I've been wanting to see us colonize.

College's / Universities on Long Island. So when I go home there would actually be sisters nearby to visit... because currently there aren't any active chapters nearby ;_;
We could always recolonize at Adelphi. That was our Beta Sigma chapter, and they still have a thriving Greek system (SDT, AEPhi, TriDelta, and DG).
Old 08-14-2004, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
Quote:
Originally posted by EEKappa
In Maine and Vermont, that is definitely the case! Alumnae are quite literally few and far between.
sorry to crash, but my husband is from maine, and from what he tells me, it's hard for greek life at the few colleges that are up that way...

marissa

ps. as an alpha gam, i'd love to see chapters in those states too!
A GD
Old 08-15-2004, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shima-Mizu
I'd really like to see us at Stony Brook University (it's on of the SUNY schools... the one that's closest to me). According to their webpage they currently have:

Sororities
Alpha Sigma Alpha
-National Pan-Hellenic Conference
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sigma Delta Tau
Theta Phi Alpha
Delta Sigma Theta
-National Pan-Hellenic Council
Sigma Gamma Rho
-National Pan-Hellenic Council
Omega Phi Beta
-National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations
Sigma Lambda Gamma
Sigma Iota Alpha
Alpha Kappa Delta Phi
-Cultural
Gamma Ce Upsilon
-Cultural
Kappa Phi Lambda
-Cultural
Lambda Fe Uson
-Cultural
Epsilon Sigma Phi
-Local
Sigma Iota Sigma
-Local

I also wouldn't mind seeing them at Hofstra University which has:

SORORITIES
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Kappa Alpha
Alpha Phi
Alpha Theta Beta
Delta Chi Delta
Delta Phi Epsilon
KDA
Omega Phi Beta
Phi Epsilon
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sigma Delta Tau
Sigma Gamma Rho
Sigma Iota Alpha
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Old 08-16-2004, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I'd like to see us re-open any of our single-letter chapters. Unfortunately, Beta and Gamma cannot be re-opened because St. Mary's Seminary and Smithson College no longer exist. However, both of the other seminaries at which we had single-letter chapters (Zeta and Tau) are now four-year undergraduate universities: Rockford College and Lasell College. Lasell does not appear to have a Greek system, but Rockford does.

I'd also like to see us re-open Beta Alpha (Penn).
Old 04-24-2007, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NikkiB
I'd love to see us at the University of South Florida..since I'm transferring down there and am heart broken to leave my chapter They've got Chi O and Tri Delt, along with 6 others..I think Kappa deserves a place too, lol.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I would love to see more chapters in the Pacific Northwest. After Epsilon Iota closed a few years ago (University of Puget Sound), there's only one Kappa chapter in Western WA (Beta Pi at U of WA). There are so many alumnae in the area that the support is definitely there. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of universities with Greek systems here, so I think we need to work on that first :-) It was really nice being in the midwest (Zeta Epsilon @ Lawrence U) where there were so many chapters a stone's throw away!