GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,243
0 members and 1,243 guests
No Members online

Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Reasons to rush?

I would really like to rush this fall during recruitment, however, when I told my parents they weren't exactly the happiest or into it. In fact, my Dad told me no flat out. I still would really like to, and I know that if I have really good arguments/reasons why they would consider it and might even change their minds. So I was wondering if you guys could help me come up with some good things about sororities/greek life to help me convince them!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

You can meet some great people in your chapter and join a network that includes many others.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Greeks typically have higher GPAs than non Greeks.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I was not in a sorority in college because I bought into the stereotypes I has heard. Now my daughter is going to participate in sorority recruitment at Auburn. Because of that, I have had the opportunity to talk to many women who pledged various sororities. I have been so impressed with these women. All of them, whether church members, my daughter's teachers or perfect strangers on Greek Chat, have been gracious in answering my questions, encouraging to my daughter and willing to offer advice. I was expecting the stereotype of catty women judging others. Instead I have found women that exude class and sisterhood, not just for their sorority but for Greek life in general. Not only am I so happy that my daughter is going to have the opportunity to join this sisterhood, I am regretful that I did not experience it myself.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:15 AM

Is your dad in Masons, Jaycees, or similar organizations?

Let him know that you will derive similar benefits from being in a Greek organization.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
You'll get a Panhellenic t-shirt just for participating (at most schools, anyway).
Old 07-04-2012, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Opportunities for leadership AND teamwork and all that comes with those positions -- managing, coordinating, communicating, problem solving, interacting, planning, compromising, follow-through, time management, balancing life. All those skills are very important to take into the workforce with you. Over 80 percent of the C.E.O.'s in this country have Greek affiliations.

Greek life offers so many incentives for academic excellence, including scholarships from nationals as well as rewards within your chapter. Many Greek organizations have mandatory study hours, tutoring and other means of support. Falling behind carries penalties like social probation, losing your voting privileges and not being allowed to run for any chapter offices until your grades are back up to par.

Service work -- all Greek orgs have local and national philanthropies that are very important to them. They give time and talent to raise money for these groups and also provide hands-on assistance. They play a part in making a positive difference in the lives of others, whether its hosting a campus-wide fundraiser for a national charity, volunteering at a local youth shelter, etc., etc., etc. The list of social service and community service projects that Greeks participate in is very long indeed. They not only raise money for their own service projects, they support other Greek organizations in raising money for their philanthrophies. Again, they make a positive difference.

And it's true -- you do get a t-shirt for participating. And after you pledge, you'll get all kinds of t-shirts over the next four years!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

This link may help!
http://www.sororityparents.com/
Old 07-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by etadrisophila View Post
Not about the OP's question/

Such a site is very fitting for NPC sororities which is why it is run by NPC women (the "about us" section makes it clear what perspective it is). I want people to be clear that in certain parts the site (and thesororitylife website) presents itself as a general sorority site however that is not the case. For starters, many non-NPC sororities/councils/conferences are not invested in nonmember, aspirant, or parent opinions to the point where they would create such a website or refer someone to such a website.

I say this because things like having a photo of a Black mother and her Black daughter beside the caption "A Shared Bond: Our family has had three generations of women in sororities and we wouldn't trade the experience for anything" can be quite misleading if people are expecting to see a non-NPC perspective (rather than an NPC perspective that is sometimes being misrepresented as a "general approach to sorority life") on that site. Instead, that third generation of Black women who may have joined an NPC sorority are the focus (based on the NPC perspective presented) rather than the previous two generations who most likely joined NPHC sororities.

Last edited by DrPhil; 07-04-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Not about the OP's question/

Such a site is very fitting for NPC sororities which is why it is run by NPC women (the "about us" section makes it clear what perspective it is). I want people to be clear that in certain parts the site (and thesororitylife website) presents itself as a general sorority site however that is not the case. For starters, many non-NPC sororities/councils/conferences are not invested in nonmember, aspirant, or parent opinions to the point where they would create such a website or refer someone to such a website.

I say this because things like having a photo of a Black mother and her Black daughter beside the caption "A Shared Bond: Our family has had three generations of women in sororities and we wouldn't trade the experience for anything" can be quite misleading if people are expecting to see a non-NPC perspective (rather than an NPC perspective that is sometimes being misrepresented as a "general approach to sorority life") on that site. Instead, that third generation of Black women who may have joined an NPC sorority are the focus (based on the NPC perspective presented) rather than the previous two generations who most likely joined NPHC sororities.
It actually says "three generations in the same sorority", which means that either they all popped out kids at 14 and then went off to college anyway, or it is a stock photo FAIL.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
stock photo FAIL.
Is that a website? If not, it should be.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Totally been there!

This might help!
http://www.whygogreek.com/stats.html
I will be my whole life long"
Old 07-04-2012, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of the new members in the chapter I help advise have shared that their parents have similar feelings. Usually this comes up early on when the financial contracts are discussed, and the new member explains that she is paying for everything herself, since her parents are not supportive of her decision to join. As the faculty advisor and new member education advisor, I have offered to talk to parents myself.

I have written a number of letters of recommendation for scholarships, study abroad programs, etc. for the undergraduate women I advise. They have asked me for help with problems they are having with courses, study skills, etc. They call me by my first name, and I am a extra adult resource for them on campus - someone who is bound to the same sisterhood.

Greekdee has listed many of the aspects of membership that address your parents' concerns. I second everything she shared. I can't stand the "Girls Gone Wild" stereotype, which is probably what your parents are worried about (aside from expenses and a distraction from academics, this is the other concern that parents typically have). Sororities set high expectations for membership and conduct, and your parents would be hard-pressed to find a living arrangement and/or on-campus group who would keep a closer eye on you and your behavior. Sororities are also keenly aware of the issues that collegiate women face, and provide educational programming on safety and wellness.

When it came time to help my daughter find recommendations for this coming year, we asked three of my fellow professors, a non-profit director, a retired librarian, and my freshman year roommate. All of these women are successful, highly-regarded professionals. My sister is a member of yet another NPC group, and she is a pediatrician.

I sincerely hope that you are successful in convincing your parents to be supportive! Sometimes it's hard for us to let our 18-year-olds make their own decisions, so be respectful of this transition...it's a hard adjustment for your parents, who are worried about you and want what is best for you as you begin college.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for so many responses, I wasn't expecting that! I really hope that I can change their mind, to me, Greek Life seems like it be really rewarding. Plus, at my school it'll be a lot cheaper than living in an apartment or dorm!
What do you think would be the most convincing way to talk to them? I was thinking a sit down talk with a slideshow?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Just show them this thread! We are all adult professional women who have benefited from our sorority memberships. I am 66 years old, spent many years in construction sales and am now the Registrar at an independent school.

While I was International Director of Housing for my GLO, we instituted a policy requiring all our housing to have fire sprinklers in order to help keep our women safe. We worked with sprinkler professionals, banks and house corporations to make this possible all over the US. Those are the kinds of things we do to keep our women safe. I think your parents would want you to be a part of this type of organization.