GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,599
3 members and 1,596 guests
indygphib, LaneSig, TLLK

Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 AM

I went to a beyond dive bar tonight in my Theta Chi Dawn of the Dead mixer t-shirt and a pair of boxers. People kept buying me drinks.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I love seeing older BGLO both men and women not only wearing their Greek paraphenalia, but still wearing their colors as well. As long as they are well put together, it is fine with me.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I seem to always live near five million AKAs.

But I love always seeing them looking great in their pink and green from head to toe with their letters either on a jacket, a shirt, a bag they're carrying, or just a piece of jewelery. When I'm 40, I want to go decked out in purple and red (...well.. maybe not just purple and red.. gold parachute pants?) with letters somewhere on me, no matter who I'm around, with the same pride I have for my letters now.. just like those AKA ladies I see so often.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello I'm a Sisterfriend, but I personally love when I see older greeks who are still in touch with their organization and are proud to flaunt it. My first exposure to Greek life was the profession adult family friends I got more acquainted with in high school. Whenever I visited them in their offices I would see their letters or other subtle indicators of their affiliation, and it's what got me intrigued. Not because it was flashy or cute looking, but because it was really a LIFETIME commitment and not something just done during your heyday of college.

I would say as long as it is tasteful, wear your colors and letters with pride. I would not advise a 45 year old to wear their rhinestone studded xyz tank top or their letter accross the bottom of their yoga pant. But a tote bag, a t-shirt, and such is awesome.

Last edited by love1god; 12-02-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I freaking HATE people like this - who say the Republicans are the Antichrist but act like jerks to anyone who doesn't share their views. Total a-holes. Lead me to them, I feel like punching someone.

That's when you wear your W t-shirt with your open sorority jacket over it.
33girl-you know...the more and more you give your opinion-the more I think you rock! I agree with the above statement.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
I'm 33 and I wear t-shirts and sweatshirts with my letters to the library (I'm a grad student) or any other place I feel like other than work (not because of the letters, but because I don't wear any casual clothing to work). I do reserve the coaches jackets/windbreakers for alumnae events and other events for which they would be appropriate.

I've never had anyone say anything about my age and my letters. Usually, I would get something like "Latinas join sororities?" if anything. But oftentimes, someone will come up to me and say "my cousin is in that sorority!" or something positive. I have even run into sisters around town who I did not know yet because they saw me in letters. That's always fun.

Maybe it is different for NPC sorority members, but I love seeing ladies well into their 40s, 50s, and beyond wearing their sorority letters when out and about. It would look funny at work, though.
I'm around your age and I feel the same way about letters. I only get odd looks when people are trying to figure out what in the world the big "ONE" is for on my jacket. It's quite a puzzle, you know. LOL!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
33girl-you know...the more and more you give your opinion-the more I think you rock! I agree with the above statement.
Me too. I recently heard someone say that she always felt she was open-minded until she realized how closed off she was to opposing viewpoints.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to happyhippychick
In our small organization we only keep one lettered 'item' after we graduate, all the rest gets passed down to the younger actives. This is mostly t-shirts and sweatshirts and the occasional tote or whatnot. So, most of our alumni only have one lettered sweatshirt.
I think I'll still wear mine after I graduate. I love wearing letters, even when i'm not around campus and people have no IDEA what the colors and letters mean.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Me too. I recently heard someone say that she always felt she was open-minded until she realized how closed off she was to opposing viewpoints.
What is your problem? Why do you keep seeking me out? I'm allowed to agree with someone without your attitude. You must have an inferiority complex.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What is your problem? Why do you keep seeking me out? I'm allowed to agree with someone without your attitude. You must have an inferiority complex.
What in the world are you talking about? My response was to a post, not to you as an individual. Anyway, I'm AGREEING with you.

When I see posts I don't appreciate, I respond. When I see posts I agree with, I respond. It's not personal. I do not know you.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
What in the world are you talking about? My response was to a post, not to you as an individual. Anyway, I'm AGREEING with you.

When I see posts I don't appreciate, I respond. When I see posts I agree with, I respond. It's not personal. I do not know you.
It seemed as though you were referring to me. Ever since that one thread, I've decided that I am very closed minded because I don't have much use for people who try and put me down because I have pride in my school or my organization.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It seemed as though you were referring to me. Ever since that one thread, I've decided that I am very closed minded because I don't have much use for people who try and put me down because I have pride in my school or my organization.
Look. Once and for all. My issue is not school pride. I have it too. My issue was that the haughty attitude that came through the posts when you were tormenting the OP. You mentioned your THREE degrees many times and you gave yourself undue authority in the selection process at Penn State. It was VERY offensive to me.

It is this attitude that makes people think that educated people (and too often, GREEKS) are elite and can't relate to the majority working class population we have in the United States. Why in the world would you make such statements as you did and then get upset with me for protesting?

Furthermore, you jumped on the bandwagon with the other poster in response to me without taking the time to understand that this poster has a history of hostility toward me. She simply doesn't like me. That's fine, but there's no reason you should ever take her seriously when she responds to my posts.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just because you are unhappy with your life, school or organization doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to be a bitch. Sounds like someone needs to get a hobby (or possibly a job).
-- c/o the "What do you feel like saying, right now?" thread.

*whistling and walking away*
Old 12-03-2009, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh please oh please oh please can we make this the straw that breaks the camel's back (or the thread that breaks KSUViolet's internship)?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Oh please oh please oh please can we make this the straw that breaks the camel's back (or the thread that breaks KSUViolet's internship)?
*fingers crossed*