GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,222
2 members and 1,220 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 04-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
How does one create the feeling of being in a sorority (I'm assuming you mean a collegiate sorority) without being in college? I suppose I get the why, but the how seems to be pretty elusive.
Yes. If you are trying to be like a college sorority, that wont happen if your members are not in college. You wont be doing mixers with other groups. You wont be hanging around at the popular spot on campus meeting members of other groups (and maybe your own) between classes. You wont have Greek/Campus wide participation in events like Greek Week, Greek Sing, etc. You wont have (at least not for QUITE A WHILE) the networking connections/camaraderie of sisters/chapters across the nation that these groups have.

As a member of both a collegiate/NPC and a community based sorority, the experiences are very different as both offer different things and have different traditions. While a community sorority may be a great way for women to meet, network, hang out, and be a part of a group maybe they didn't have in college for whatever reason, a community based sorority/group should never be viewed as "the next best thing" to a traditional college sorority. That line of thinking/expectation will only lead to disappointment for yourself and any future recruits you may have.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

But I don't want everyone to think oh she is trying to create a knock off. Like you don't need to go to college. That's not the case. I'm currently in college. I just want to make something for military wives , mothers, community college students , ect. I could keep explaining but I think y'all get the idea . Where I'm from I don't have any community sororities around.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossladybeau View Post
But I don't want everyone to think oh she is trying to create a knock off. Like you don't need to go to college. That's not the case. I'm currently in college. I just want to make something for military wives , mothers, community college students , ect. I could keep explaining but I think y'all get the idea . Where I'm from I don't have any community sororities around.
Those people could all be served by a chapter of ESA or BSPhi. Look into these. PLEASE.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Most people in the situations that you mentioned who want the sorority experience have either A: joined one while an undergraduate or alumni or b: take part in a community sorority such as Beta Sigma Phi. It sounds like you really just want to start your OWN organization for your wants because the void that you are trying to fill has already been filled.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

To put it another way - what will this organization offer that is not ALREADY offered by the many groups already mentioned?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I know a fair number of military women (wives or active duty themselves) and none of them have ever looked for an outside organization to fill any voids. The military wives are really their own sisterhood and to go looking for something outside that would just be silly, ESPECIALLY in a local sorority. If they did want a sorority-type engagement, a national community organization would make much more sense for them since they move around so much.

And the point we're trying to get across is that there doesn't already have to be a BSPhi chapter in your area - you can START one. You just don't have to reinvent the wheel. Your idea is not new and you can work from within an existing structure and in doing so increase your chances of success by about a billion percent. Unless your purpose is ME ME ME ME ME.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
How much do you know about setting up a not-for-profit corporation? Are you going to have dues? Who will write and sign your checks? How will you handle a chapter member who embezzles? How will you watch for it? You really need to think about the operations part of this as well. This is another reason to look for an established organization because there will be guidance in those more technical departments.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Kevin
Quote:
How much do you know about setting up a not-for-profit corporation? Are you going to have dues? Who will write and sign your checks? How will you handle a chapter member who embezzles? How will you watch for it? You really need to think about the operations part of this as well. This is another reason to look for an established organization because there will be guidance in those more technical departments.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

You making this into something that not even that major. You don't know what you are talking about. How would it be about me? Smh like I said before I'm not about to explain and go into further detail because I'm on my iPhone and I just wanted my questions answers. Not people to basically down something that has not even started yet...it's amazing to me that some people are Greek but don't act like Greeks. You should be encouraging not knocking people down of their ideas. Everybody has different dreams and visions. Yes all Greek lettered organizations do similar things...but are unique in their own way. I'm done with negative people on this site and will only respond to good ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I know a fair number of military women (wives or active duty themselves) and none of them have ever looked for an outside organization to fill any voids. The military wives are really their own sisterhood and to go looking for something outside that would just be silly, ESPECIALLY in a local sorority. If they did want a sorority-type engagement, a national community organization would make much more sense for them since they move around so much.

And the point we're trying to get across is that there doesn't already have to be a BSPhi chapter in your area - you can START one. You just don't have to reinvent the wheel. Your idea is not new and you can work from within an existing structure and in doing so increase your chances of success by about a billion percent. Unless your purpose is ME ME ME ME ME.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Why did you ask for advice if you didn't want to hear it?

And how do you know how Greeks are "supposed to act" if you're not Greek yourself? Instead of getting so defensive, perhaps you should actually READ what folks are typing to you.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Woo hoo! I finally got my turn at being called a meany! I have arrived as a fully initiated GC member.

And let me see if I have this right. The OP was in a hurry to get a quick answer about how to start an entire sorority from scratch. I also have a quick question I'd like a few simple, positive answers to. I'd like to start a new government that is LIKE a democracy but not a democracy and I don't want to hear anything about how the US or France or Brazil does it because I want to do it from scratch. And quit telling me democracy has already been invented and I don't need to start a new government!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post

Many of Beta Sigma Phi's oversees chapters were founded by military wives on foreign bases (ie. Germany, Saudi Arabia, etc.). Just FYI
Old 04-08-2012, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

boossladybeau, you seem to be construing constructive criticism -- suggestions from people with experience that could help you accomplish something -- as negativity. People who ask for advice should consider all advice they are given.

Quote:
Where I'm from I don't have any community sororities around.
Quote:
Hey everyone...Greeks and non-Greeks.
I am currently creating a local community sorority in Fayetteville NC.
According to the Beta Sigma Phi website, they have 7 chapters in Fayetteville. Then there's Epsilon Sigma Alpha and P.E.O. Sisiterhood, which may also have chapters there.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

What most of us are getting at I think is why reinvent the wheel? The best justification for founding a new organization is because she wants something fresh/new. Is that going to be her marketing concept?

What is going to set this group apart as a group from, for example, a few friends meeting regularly for coffee and donuts?

She has to craft an identity, create an organizational structure, develop a mission, select activities, figure out how to attract membership, figure out why potential members would select her group over the local Junior League, etc., with very little guidance.

It's not that any of us are saying that it couldn't be done. We're just wondering whether she's thought this through, because to get from a few ladies meeting for coffee and donuts to a Greek-lettered organization formed for the purpose of supposedly giving a sorority experience to 30 and 40+ year-olds who missed out in undergrad seems unlikely.

If there are already 7 BSPhi chapters in Fayetville, why not join one or start #8?

If she cannot answer that question for herself, how does she expect to attract members?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:

If there are already 7 BSPhi chapters in Fayetville, why not join one or start #8?
I haven't looked, but if she stated above that there are no groups in her area, and you (a non-BSP member) was able to research and find out there were 7 chapters in existence close by, then she has not done her homework for groups in her area that she claims to be seeking.

A search of my own reveals that Junior League is also present in Fayetteville.