GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,260
0 members and 2,260 guests
No Members online

Old 01-09-2012, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Starting a KKG chapter

Hello GC!

I am writing this to help out a friend of mine. She is very interested in starting a KKG Chapter in Murray, KY at Murray State University. I am supporting her with the process and I thought I would approach the GC community to see what advice any one of you can give.

I would love to know more about KKG, about your sisterhood, your philanthropy, anything and everything that I (as a nonsister) can know about this fantastic sorority.

Thanks Ladies
Old 01-10-2012, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Know that we already are creating an interest group on campus. We currently have 19 people (18 girls and myself) that are associated with it.

We already have an established Greek community on our campus with 5 NPC sororities.
ΑΟΠ, ΑΔΠ, ΑΣΑ, ΣΣΣ, and ΑΓΔ are our fab five.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewporter View Post
Hello GC!

I am writing this to help out a friend of mine. She is very interested in starting a KKG Chapter in Murray, KY at Murray State University. I am supporting her with the process and I thought I would approach the GC community to see what advice any one of you can give.

I would love to know more about KKG, about your sisterhood, your philanthropy, anything and everything that I (as a nonsister) can know about this fantastic sorority.

Thanks Ladies
Quote:
Know that we already are creating an interest group on campus. We currently have 19 people (18 girls and myself) that are associated with it.

We already have an established Greek community on our campus with 5 NPC sororities.
ΑΟΠ, ΑΔΠ, ΑΣΑ, ΣΣΣ, and ΑΓΔ are our fab five.
...what?

Why are you worrying about sorority expansion?

Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I want to work in student affairs. things like this are what I do on a regular basis. I mean I already have a collection in the university library, two university ran programs, and a record of being a positive group influence. She approached me. I am merely helping out a friend. That being said; I read the informative website for KKG and I think the group is a solid foundation for women. I would love to see them on my campus
Old 01-10-2012, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

That's not how NPC expansion works.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Panhellenic has to be open for expansion then CHOOSE KKG for them to come on campus at Murray. There may be no need for a new group at this time, and even if they did come on campus, they may not choose to pledge your friend. That is NOT how NPC expansion works. The FIRST step is to see is there is a need for a new group, ie rapidly increasing quota or chapter total of the groups on campus, increasing interest in Greek life. This needs to be brought before Panhellenic who would then have to VOTE to open the campus to allow another group to colonize. All NPC sororities have agreed to abide by these rules, so there is no way around it.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Panhellenic has to be open for expansion then CHOOSE KKG for them to come on campus at Murray. There may be no need for a new group at this time, and even if they did come on campus, they may not choose to pledge your friend. That is NOT how NPC expansion works. The FIRST step is to see is there is a need for a new group, ie rapidly increasing quota or chapter total of the groups on campus, increasing interest in Greek life. This needs to be brought before Panhellenic who would then have to VOTE to open the campus to allow another group to colonize. All NPC sororities have agreed to abide by these rules, so there is no way around it.
What AOII Angel said, except I would like to add to the process that once Panhellenic decides that they are open for expansion, Kappa (or any other NPC group) has to choose to present to colonize. Then panhellenic chooses by vote which group of the ones presenting will colonize.

OP, There's a lot that goes into the decision of whether or not a sorority chooses to expand. It's not just "hey, here are these women who want to be XYZ, let's start a colony." Kappa (and I'm sure other NPC groups as well) have a strategy for growth. If your school IS open for expansion, then it will have to fit into an organization's expansion strategy in order for the group to even have a shot.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Murray State is okeyfine with the 5 groups that they have. If they are not to your liking (by which I mean if they're not prestigious enough), transfer. Also, it really doesn't matter if the Kappas at Blabbo State are hot. A new sorority doesn't make the girls at your school hotter.

I mean, I thought you were the self-proclaimed expert on all things Greek. You should know how expansion works.

Last edited by 33girl; 01-10-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Murray State is okeyfine with the 5 groups that they have. If they are not to your liking (by which I mean if they're not prestigious enough), transfer. Also, it really doesn't matter if the Kappas at Blabbo State are hot. A new sorority doesn't make the girls at your school hotter.

I mean, I thought you were the self-proclaimed expert on all things Greek. You should know how expansion works.
The OP is in a fraternity, so none of the groups would be to his liking

Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 AM

I meant his liking as far as being porkable.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I meant his liking as far as being porkable.
LOL.

Anyone transferring schools for more "porking prospects" is lame as hell.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
LOL.

Anyone transferring schools for more "porking prospects" is lame as hell.
Exactly my point, my dear.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hello GC!

Thanks Ladies
prune tacos?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

And, by the way, Kappa is a great institution and I'm sure has an excellent website, but there are 18 other NPC sororities that are also excellent and also have great websites.

Kappa doesn't have a huge presence in Kentucky and although that's not a deal-breaker it does factor in. Also, there are 2 sororities who HAD chapters at Murray State that are currently dormant. According to NPC rules they are to get consideration in the expansion process (I know I read that on the NPC website but I don't know exactly where). And Kappa may have decided to put all their eggs in the "only schools with more than X number of students or X prestige factor or whatever" basket. So none of this means Kappa wouldn't be invited to colonize at Murray State, but it should give you a clearer idea of the flaws in your thinking.

If you want to help these girls out, you should suggest they read the www.npcwomen.org website and then talk to their panhellenic. And then I'd step aside. If the girls want this they should be able to work for it without some random guy inputting his two cents.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
What AOII Angel said, except I would like to add to the process that once Panhellenic decides that they are open for expansion, Kappa (or any other NPC group) has to choose to present to colonize. Then panhellenic chooses by vote which group of the ones presenting will colonize.

OP, There's a lot that goes into the decision of whether or not a sorority chooses to expand. It's not just "hey, here are these women who want to be XYZ, let's start a colony." Kappa (and I'm sure other NPC groups as well) have a strategy for growth. If your school IS open for expansion, then it will have to fit into an organization's expansion strategy in order for the group to even have a shot.
Of course, I left that out! The organization may have no interest in joining your campus no matter how much the campus would like them to colonize. Organizations have their own agendas and expansion plans that have been set by their leadership.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!