GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,611
3 members and 1,608 guests
AlwaysSAI, Xidelt

Old 11-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Scandia -

Congratulations on finding a home with Theta Phi Alpha. I know that it is something that you set a goal for, worked for, and finally achieved. Congratulations and I hope it is everything that you wished for.

LaneSig

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Scandia -

Congratulations on finding a home with Theta Phi Alpha. I know that it is something that you set a goal for, worked for, and finally achieved. Congratulations and I hope it is everything that you wished for.

LaneSig
Good work getting the thread back on track!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
But then why the reference to an association with men's fraternities?
Ya got me there. I have no idea.

Sorry for the hijack, Scandia. Congrats on your new home.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, congratulations to Scandia for joining the sisterhood of Theta Phi Alpha! That is wonderful news, and I hope your membership brings a lifetime of wonderful memories!

For the topic that this thread has morphed into...If I remember correctly from the history of Kappa Delta, KD was first called a fraternity. A number of years after the founding (almost for sure after the founding of Sigma and Zeta), the formal name was changed to sorority. I noticed this as a collegian when reading the history and found it to be interesting. As I do not have a copy of the history nearby, I cannot say for certain the exact year. Perhaps one of my sisters can check this out.

I do think it is so interesting to learn about the different organizations' histories. Such a fascinating aspect of higher education.

Last edited by ValpoKD; 11-27-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoKD View Post
If I remember correctly from the history of Kappa Delta, KD was first called a fraternity. A number of years after the founding (almost for sure after the founding of Sigma and Zeta), the formal name was changed to sorority.
That's right - I forgot! Scratch my last speculation!

I think the change was made in 1906. I don't know any real background info though... like, why fraternity was used in the first place or why we changed to sorority.

So sorry for the continued hijack, Scandia.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

To further throw a wrench into the works, if I recall my sorority history correctly, Gamma Phi Beta was founded as a "SOCIETY". So, we weren't a fraternity *or* sorority to start with! It was after the founding of Beta chapter that the term "sorority" was coined. Therefore, in the case of Gamma Phi Beta, it makes it even less likely that the word "sorority" referred to having had a man's help.

In spite of the slight hoohah we've caused, I do find everyone's contributions to the topic to be interesting.

.....Kelly

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 11-27-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
To further throw a wrench into the works, if I recall my sorority history correctly, Gamma Phi Beta was founded as a "SOCIETY". So, we weren't a fraternity *or* sorority to start with! It was after the founding of Beta chapter that the term "sorority" was coined. Therefore, in the case of Gamma Phi Beta, it makes it even less likely that the word "sorority" referred to having had a man's help.

In spite of the slight hoohah we've caused, I do find everyone's contributions to the topic to be interesting.

.....Kelly
Society? Wow, didn't know that!

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=13942

Just in case anyone wants to read recent Gamma Phi/SK talk (and possibly take this discussion elsewhere so we don't further derail poor Scandia's AI thread). It's funny how this women's fraternity/sorority talk has been going on for years.

[If it means anything, I posted a link in that thread to another thread. A lot of posts went missing in that thread so that's why some of the discussion doesn't make any sense]
Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Society? Wow, didn't know that!

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=13942

Just in case anyone wants to read recent Gamma Phi/SK talk (and possibly take this discussion elsewhere so we don't further derail poor Scandia's AI thread). It's funny how this women's fraternity/sorority talk has been going on for years.
Cool...thanks OTW! In that thread you just posted, I saw that one of my sisters also mentioned that we were a "society" first. I didn't mean to derail Scandia's thread - I don't get wound up too often and I guess this was one of those ocassions.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 11-27-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
To further throw a wrench into the works, if I recall my sorority history correctly, Gamma Phi Beta was founded as a "SOCIETY".
I'm not a Gamma Phi, but I'm pretty sure I've read that somewhere also, that "society" came first and "sorority" was to follow for GPhiB.

On Day 1, Delta Gamma was actually called the "Delta Gamma Club" by our 3 Founders. The name "Delta Gamma Fraternity" came a bit later on.
http://www.deltagamma.org/from_the_o...ute_book.shtml

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 11-30-2007 at 11:44 PM.