GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,061
0 members and 2,061 guests
No Members online

Old 01-05-2007, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank You

Last edited by Jsawalha; 01-06-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Unregistered-

All media requests need to be given directly to the sorority's headquarters. No one on GreekChat (with the exception of inter/national officers) has the authority to speak on behalf of their organization.

That said, given the experiences I've seen in the past with the media soliciting sororities for help, I doubt you'll get much response from anyone here as NPC and NPHC organizations have strict guidelines forbidding their members from taking part in ventures like this.

If you are really serious about this, you'd know better than to ask for help on a message board. You might want to contact the Office of Greek Affairs at UCLA directly and see if they can be of any help.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes I agree with OTW.....with NPHC organizations their is no such thing as rushing in public. It's shown that way on TV, but not in real life. NPHC are not allowed to uncover who is on their current line until the probate show.
Just in case you don't know a probate show is where students who are currently joining the XYZ org come out to reveal to other peers that they are now a part of XYZ.

Again agreeing with OTW you would have to take it to Nationals. No one on GC with the exception of (who may be a part of Nationals exec board) are able to give you any information.

It depends on what type of organization Tyra is trying to rush. If it's an NPHC she's really going to have trouble rushing. Although she is a celebrity she still must follow the NPHC or XYZ org guidleines as far as education go. It's possible to do Honorary membership, but some NPHC's no longer do it. If I'm not mistaking her mother is in an NPHC org, so she should know that it would be extremely hard to rush an NPHC org. Tyra may want to try another pan-hellenic council.

Unless it's a way to get by, but I doubt it.

What does anyone else think?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

i figured that! I just wanted to ut it out there...I appreciate your replies and I will continue to contact national! Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

As a PR professional, I actually view things like this as an opportunity to show the positive side of sorority life. I also doubt (if this is even legit) Tyra's childhood dream was to "rush a sorority"...rather than "be in a sorority." If I were a sorority at UCLA I think I might see whether it was possible to invite Tyra (and therefore the cameras) to a safe, fun sisterhood event, so outsiders can get an idea of what a sorority sisterhood is all about. Just one event, or one day, NOT living in the house or going to chapter meetings, etc. Of course everything would have to be cleared with HQ, and chapter advisor/whomever present to make sure everything's OK. I'd also advise having someone with legal/media knowhow present.

There are risks with doing things like this, but if GLOs (and I'm thinking more along the lines of NPC/NIC here) operate in COMPLETE secrecy, it leaves negative, incorrect rumors and myths to fester. Positive PR comes very hard for our community, and the companies I work with dream of PR opportunities like this. You just have to be smart about it.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hazelle
Peppy !!just read my mind...I have been trying to contact the right person in Alpha Xi for the same purpose...the use of cameras and Tyra to show the positive side of sisterhood....not necessarily the entire experience...could help all of us benefit from "finally" some good, positive, spin on being a sorority girl. God knows, MTV's series did us no good and made us once again "the terrible horrible awful experience" which fraternities so quickly get labeled!!

I agree the benefits outweigh the risks and one has to be so media savvy, but if Tyra is totally sincere and interested, I know any of us here would adore to have our GLO on prime time with that beautiful lady sharing the spotlight.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexydove View Post
NPHC are not allowed to uncover who is on their current line until the probate show.
This is not entirely accurate. I've seen plenty of Archonian and Pyramid pins prior to initiation.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelle View Post
Peppy !!just read my mind...I have been trying to contact the right person in Alpha Xi for the same purpose...the use of cameras and Tyra to show the positive side of sisterhood....not necessarily the entire experience...could help all of us benefit from "finally" some good, positive, spin on being a sorority girl. God knows, MTV's series did us no good and made us once again "the terrible horrible awful experience" which fraternities so quickly get labeled!!

I agree the benefits outweigh the risks and one has to be so media savvy, but if Tyra is totally sincere and interested, I know any of us here would adore to have our GLO on prime time with that beautiful lady sharing the spotlight.
I have to disagree. The risks definitely outweigh the benefits here.

Unless the GLO has full control of the content that gets aired on TV (which I doubt would even fly with the show's producers), it'd be a bad idea -- and I hope that the NPC takes the same action they did when MTV came calling for "Sorority Life".
Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank You

Last edited by Jsawalha; 01-06-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

point withdrawn
Old 01-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsawalha View Post
First off all ladies...this is legit...please email me at jennifer.sawalha@tyratv.com
That's what Alexandra Robbins said too.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank You

Last edited by Jsawalha; 01-06-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I have to disagree. The risks definitely outweigh the benefits here.

Unless the GLO has full control of the content that gets aired on TV (which I doubt would even fly with the show's producers), it'd be a bad idea -- and I hope that the NPC takes the same action they did when MTV came calling for "Sorority Life".
Although MTV did a terrible job depicting GLO's on their series, I have seen some reality shows where Greeks were portrayed in a positive light. "Stranded with Cash Peters" on the Travel Channel showed an Alpha Gamma Rho chapter at a school that I can't recall at the moment. The brothers were hospitable and friendly and the show didn't force any kind of drama or embellishments of what greek life is supposed to be like.

Tyra Banks' show doesn't seem like it would exploit an organization for ratings like MTV did, but having her rush, or pledge, or whatever would look kind of silly for an entire show. I like PreppyGPhiB's comment about just showing one function that Banks could participate in, like a community service project. That would freakin rule.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

We are willing to do the day and the life!!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank You

Last edited by Jsawalha; 01-06-2007 at 10:50 AM.