GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,422
2 members and 1,420 guests
chironthearcher

Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking A few quetions if you don't mind

I have a few questions for the ladies of Beta Sigma Phi.
1) How do you recruit members, beside the obvious inviting people you already know?

2) Do you have any themes or anything that have been particularly sucessful?

3) What kinds of community service projects and fundraiser do you do?

4) How big are your chapters? How do you encourage attendence at meetings?

Thanks a bunch!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2004, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, Glitterkitty. I would love to answer your questions!

1) How do you recruit members, beside the obvious inviting people you already know?
October and March are the usual months for Beta Sigma Phi rush; however, new members can be recruited at any time. Usually, a chapter holds a social and invites women in the area. My chapter found fliers to be a little helpful, and word-of-mouth was our most successful tool. When I did my Friendly Venture (new chapter), I sent e-mails to a lot of girls and put fliers in the local gym and library.

2) Do you have any themes or anything that have been particularly sucessful? Since the strawberry is one of our International symbols, my chapter did a "Strawberry Bash." It was a lot of fun. The name tags were strawberries. We had strawberry cake and strawberry punch. We got three new members from that event. The 2004-2005 International theme is "Give the Gifts of Sisterhood." I think that theme could be made into some fun events!

3) What kinds of community service projects and fundraiser do you do? Relay for Life was our big service project. We also volunteered at the Avon Breast Cancer Walk in New York City. My online chapter (Online Kappa) gives money to The Heifer Project and women's shelters. Beta Sigma Phi chapters may do any service projects they like. From what I've read in The Torch, most chapters prefer to give money to their favorite causes, but a lot of groups choose to do hands on service such as storybook hours at local libraries, highway clean-ups, nursing home visits, etc.

4) How big are your chapters? How do you encourage attendence at meetings? Most Beta Sigma Phi chapters are fairly small (7-15 members); however, there are chapters that are near 100 members in some parts of the country. Texas and other southern states have very big chapters! The chapter that I just left (moved for school) had reached 20 members. Most chapters have meeting requirement in their by-laws. The standard is if a member has 3 unexcused absences, she is listed as inactive. She loses voting privileges.

There you go! Let me know if you need any other information.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient

Last edited by erica812; 07-12-2004 at 04:46 PM.