GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,394
3 members and 2,391 guests
LaneSig

Old 05-17-2004, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Quote:
Originally posted by DZHBrown
I am working on my Masters in Secondary Education at Vanderbilt. I just finished my first semester and will graduate in May 2005. I'm not working and have no kids, so major thumbs up to you for doing it all!! And doing it well!
Thank you!!!

As you can tell by my location, I'm waiting for this to be over with.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-17-2004, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jhujenn
Actually, I've found it pretty easy to be in grad school part-time in the evenings and work full time. I'm in grad school at Johns Hopkins so it's not exactly as if they allow you to slack for a grad degree from here. I would try and find a program that's part-time.
oh really? What kind of grad school program are you in? I want to go to Med School, but if I don't get in I was interested in going for an MPH, or just taking more classes in Biostatistics, and stat software.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by XOMichelle
oh really? What kind of grad school program are you in? I want to go to Med School, but if I don't get in I was interested in going for an MPH, or just taking more classes in Biostatistics, and stat software.
Do you have a large inheritance coming from your family?

-Rudey
Old 05-17-2004, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

No, they have no savings to speak of. Why do you ask?
Old 05-17-2004, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, they have no savings to speak of. Why do you ask?
Then make sure you get into med school because the other options will leave you with "no savings to speak of" as well.

-Rudey
Old 05-17-2004, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in the MS in Environmental Management program. It's actually designed to be part-time, which apart from it being at Hopkins, is why I chose it.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Re: Re: psych grad schools?

Quote:
Originally posted by DZHBrown
Are you hoping to work as a counselor/psychologist or in more of a research capacity? Are you looking to stay in your general area or is relocation okay?

i think i want to work as a psychologist but maybe specializing in certain disorders..... (as you can see i'm still very broad) i'm not too interested in research though but i'm definately interested in relocating- not sure where though...

i was an english major for my first three years- and was pretty miserable- i got OK grades- but i really wasn't focusing- the bars caught my attention more unfortunately- and after awhile i realized that i don't want to to teach english

so i switched to psychology.... i'm pretty scared- i'm going to try to finish my degree in a year and a half... with possibly a minor in english since i already have a lot of credits

i'd like to go someplace amazing since i didn't pick the most reputable college the first time around- but honestly i didn't think too many places would take me- which i guess was smart since i had like an 89 average out of high school....

i've heard columbia and stanford have amazing psych programs... but i'm still researching and thinking so any suggestions are welcome ... but i'm a bit worried about the money issue- is there usually a lot of funding available?

oh and congratulations to those of you who got into their choices- thats so awesome- the best of luck!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jhujenn
quote:

I'm in the MS in Environmental Management program. It's actually designed to be part-time, which apart from it being at Hopkins, is why I chose it.
That's great! I've been thinking about graduate school a lot lately, and what all my options might be in case the MD gods reject me again. Night classes are very attractive becasue I don't have to quit my job.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Our masters level biostatisticians hire in at about $60K per year. Not a bad entry level job. They then pay for you to get your PhD and you bump up to around $120K per year with bonuses for getting grants and publishing. Pharmaceutical companies pay even more. You won't be super rich, but you'll be quite comfortable. Our masters level Epidemiologists make about the same, with the same bonuses, and tend to get more grants. SAS programmers in stats start at around $50K and do most of the grunt work (cleaning up the data) for the statisticians.

Our PhD's also get 6 weeks vacation, unlimited sick time and get to travel a lot to various conferences, especially if they present.

Dee
Old 05-18-2004, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Then make sure you get into med school because the other options will leave you with "no savings to speak of" as well.

-Rudey
Thanks for your "advice". If you read, I am thinking of options if I am not admitted. Try again, asshole.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for your "advice". If you read, I am thinking of options if I am not admitted. Try again, asshole.
I know, but it's always good to have someone push you in the right direction. You don't want to be poor so study. You can also go to med school in the caribbean.

-Rudey
--Rob is going to be my doctor not you so it doesn't matter what you think of me
Old 05-18-2004, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

One day I want to practice part time and work on public health research and/or health policy research the other part time. I've met people who do that, or else practice for a while and then transition into policy. That's my ideal career. So, practicing is essential, as is the research/policy component of my career. I guess if I don't get inot Med School, I'll go right away into policy and public health (which I'm kind of doing at the moment).

The same thing happened to me that happened to you friend, only when the wait ended, there wasn't a spot for me. I'm a little worried since I haven't done anything cool like go to Africa, or even work in a hospital. I do research, I re-took my MCAT and I work a second job so I can afford to apply. That's all I have time for.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DWAlphaGam
I'm in the midst of applying to matriculate for a MS in Biomedical Writing. I already took a few classes and did well in them, so I was able to skip the GRE's (my program has a policy that if you get a B+ or better in 2 classes as a non-matric student, you don't have to take the GRE's).

Good luck to everyone else applying for/pursuing grad school!
I was actually looking into this field. Mind if I ask what school you are attending for your MS?
The only two schools I could find were Mass Institute of Tech and Unv of the Sciences in Philly
Old 05-19-2004, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
Our masters level biostatisticians hire in at about $60K per year. Not a bad entry level job. They then pay for you to get your PhD and you bump up to around $120K per year with bonuses for getting grants and publishing. Pharmaceutical companies pay even more. You won't be super rich, but you'll be quite comfortable. Our masters level Epidemiologists make about the same, with the same bonuses, and tend to get more grants. SAS programmers in stats start at around $50K and do most of the grunt work (cleaning up the data) for the statisticians.

Our PhD's also get 6 weeks vacation, unlimited sick time and get to travel a lot to various conferences, especially if they present.

Dee
Dee, you are a wealth of information!!

$120 is about what a GP makes in a year. ER makes a bit more ($140). I'd like to make over 100, and that's about it!
Old 05-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dee, you are a wealth of information!!

$120 is about what a GP makes in a year. ER makes a bit more ($140). I'd like to make over 100, and that's about it!
Eww what doctors do you know that only make that much? That's not even enough for sailing and golf lessons for the kids.

-Rudey
--My friend is buying a new Antrim and we can't wait to sail that.