GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 875
0 members and 875 guests
No Members online

Old 05-29-2003, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I wrote this last year and still feel the same. So rather than try t say something fresh, here's my take on the question.

I have very specific reasons why I'm glad my daughter is in a GLO and why I want my son to join as well.
1. The bonds of brotherhood/sisterhood are forever. It is a powerful network that can help you your entire life.
2. Being a Greek gets you involved with philanthropy in a way that is fun and rewarding. Hopefully, you will carry this with you and continue giving back to your community.
3. College is more than books and being Greek helps you develop social skills and promotes involvement. It adds structure, discipline and goals.
4. It's a great support system.
5. It gives you an opportunity to break away from the old home town syndrom and expand your thinking and horizons.
5. I would think there are two different "college life" scenarios. You can go to class then sit around your apartment/dorm OR you can be a part of something wonderful, exciting and huge. At the heart of all major campus events are Greeks. I want my kids to be a part of eveything (well ALMOST) college defines.

After this post, and following comments, I would like to state that I did not intend to imply being a GDI would turn you into a wall flower. It's just that being in a GLO presents so many opportunities and opens doors. For a young person, especially a freshman, it makes finding and developing these opportnities easier.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:27 PM

*BUMP*

This thread is too good to be on page 3!
Old 06-21-2003, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Meliahna
Why I want (or at least am considering) to be in a sorority

I'm transferring to a school near my high school, and really want to ensure that I don't fall into the high school routine. I want to meet and hang out with people from (GASP!) a high school OTHER THAN my alma matter!

I love meeting people. There is no better way than through a GLO to meet and really get to know people from all over, with different interests, personalities and goals, and still have a common denomonator with all of them.

My only common denomonators from home are high school ones. I was (am - last year! ) very active in 4-H and while I did meet people from other schools through that, everyone is spread out all over to different colleges.

I miss community service. In 4-H we participated in at least 4-5 philanthropic events every winter, when I went to college, I felt so selfish! I really began to feel like a leech after not doing anything more altrustic than loaning my jeep to a friend.

I want friends who aren't going to revert back to being spoiled, selfish, and snotty after a month or two of knowing them. That sounds a little cocky, but women can be very catty, and they will stab you in the back. I really want some friends that I can rely on.

Most friends can handle one topic really well, but crumble when you try to expand to something else. I would love to meet people who are still stable discussing more than one topic. Greeks have always appeared so well rounded!

Whenever college life is portrayed (in almost everything) greeks are there. Who wouldn't want to be involved with something so well recognized?

Not to mention, being a part of an organization as widespread, well-known, and well organized is almost always a good thing!

In addition to all this, I always wanted sisters growing up. When I was younger (think=8ish) I heard a reference to a sorority sister. I figured that was pretty much my only chance to have a sister i/o sister in law.

So from silly reasons to some serious ones, and even a pet peeve I would love to be a part of greek life!
Old 06-21-2003, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erniegurl00
Awww you girls! You're too cute! *tear* It reminds me of when I was going through rush! (Yeah, I too was that girl who had all of the sorority facts memorized. I think I weired out and shocked the Pi Phi who preffed me 'cause I was telling her details about Pi Phi! LOL) I know all of your excitement and preparations will pay off, and no matter what I know you all will have a great time with it. Any sorority should be tickled pink to call you one of its members.
ern that's like me...I didn't want to take the house tour because I could have probably given it! haha!

PPL&Mine,
Jess
Old 06-21-2003, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

UCLAgirl-I REALLY like your post! I am 100% with you when it comes to confidence. It is a quality that makes you stand out and people will take notice. All people get nervous-even the MOST confident-but you can still remain yourself and use that nervous energy to your advantage. The more interaction a person has the more "practice" at learning to handle an awkward situation...and recruitment can be awkward.

Plus to echo another point you made-by being yourself, you have less stress than you would trying to maintain an image.

Very, very good points.

Creating an image and polishing your image are two different things. One is on the outside and the other comes from within.

Confidence is the ability to walk into any give arena and feel a level of comfort, NOT trying to make people think you are hot stuff
or better than them...

A little motto I grew up with-If I don't think much of myself, why should anyone else? A lot of truth there.

From UCLAgirl's post- The best way to prepare, in my opinion though, is to make sure that you are really confident and proud to be you. Have a good attitude about yourself and be comfortable with who you are.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes I feel like I am about to burst. I am overjoyed and anxious to see what the future has for me. I truly feel deep in my heart that (not just a particular sorority) this lifestyle is for me. I seriously feel it as my calling. It may sound silly. It is just a gut feeling that I have. I will be a great asset, a diligent worker, a spirited member, and a respectful young lady that will carry my possible sorority with dignity.
I have never done anything like this before. I am not doing this for anyone but me. This opportunity is my gift to myself. I am almost 100% out of a terrible academic hole. Now school is going great and I feel awesome. As a sophmore, I see myself at an advantage, because I have already gone threw the turmoils of freshman year. I have grown so much. I know myself better. I feel that I can be more of a benefit as a member, because of my experiences. I go at things with a more adult attitude. I was just never ready for responsibilities such as this when I was 18. At 19, I was a freakin idiot. Its not entirely my fault, but we wont go there.....But I take that idiotic period and use it at my advantage. I am a fighter. It is amazing how much you enjoy your school when you are serious about your work. I have more respect and dignity for myself now. That is why I think that I would make a great asset to a sorority.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Can't wait to hear where y'all end up at! Good luck in going through recruitment or rush or whatever it is these days!

I thought that this whole idea was a great one, and remember to figure out what you want in a sorority---makes it just a tad easier when you walk through those doors sometimes!
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Y'all are great! Seriously, remember these replies-- everyday of Recruitment this fall, you will go into 6-7 houses and be asked the same three questions everday at every party by 3-6 ladies per house:

1) What's your major?
2) Where are you from?
3) What year are you?

You need to come up with something that sets you apart and makes the sorority latch onto you--- your marketing hook-- remembering the reasons you want to join and the reasons you'd be an asset to the sorority will help you stand out from the crowd!
Now, that's a good term, adpiucf-- a marketing hook! I know all the PNMs here are wondering and would like some suggestions from y'all: how can we bring in our marketing hook when all people keep asking us is what our major, hometown and year are. Any suggestions, ladies?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Luckily, my major is something that leads well into an explanation that shows a little more of me. I am a double major in Elementary Ed and Communication Disorders. I decided to do that because I had interpreted for the Deaf and loved it, and I love teaching. After I spend some time in the classroom, I plan on becoming a speech therapist in the schools and still interpret for the Deaf. I have tons of actvities that have revolved around these things, so if nothing else, they'll remember the girl with all the majors that talks to Deaf people.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Meliahna
That's my major too!

MTSUGURL - Communication Disorders is my major too...and I got interested in it from working with the deaf as well! My involvement stemmed from loaning one of my horses to a theraputic riding program and volunteering there. Also, that major is why I transferred schools and why as a sophomore I still have 5-6 years in school ahead of me. LOL, must be a good major!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
I've actually been thinking about this alot lately, trying to put into words what I know inside.

I guess the reason that it's really really hard for me to say why I feel the way I feel because I am worried that my dedication and love for all my sisters in my local sorority back at USC will weird my rusher out.

But the honest truth is that they all taught me what it means to be a sister, what it means to be there for you through thick and thin. When everything else in my life was going wrong, my sisters were there for me. When I started college, I wanted to be in a sorority to meet people and make career connections. Now, I want to be in a sorority because of all that I know, from experience, that having sisters can be.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
(Ok this is way beside the point but...)

Meliahna & MTSUGURL,

I'm a speech pathology major as well! I also have an interest in the deaf community. My hope is that by the time I graduate in 2004 I'll be somewhat fluent in ASL.

I don't know about the schools where you are rushing, but at Butler the SPL major is pretty rare. It'll not only show that you are compassionate and dedicated to choose such a career, but it'll also give you something to talk about! I've found that a lot of people I've met have been touched in some way or another by a SLP!

Ok, I'll stop hijacking!
Good luck everyone!
Old 08-10-2003, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Continuing the hijack

Quote:
Originally posted by erniegurl00
(Ok this is way beside the point but...)

Meliahna & MTSUGURL,

I'm a speech pathology major as well! I also have an interest in the deaf community. My hope is that by the time I graduate in 2004 I'll be somewhat fluent in ASL.

I don't know about the schools where you are rushing, but at Butler the SPL major is pretty rare. It'll not only show that you are compassionate and dedicated to choose such a career, but it'll also give you something to talk about! I've found that a lot of people I've met have been touched in some way or another by a SLP!

Ok, I'll stop hijacking!
Good luck everyone!
I'm fluent in ASL - I used to interpret! I love my major, even if I don't love all the extra school I need...

Why I should be in a sorority - Who was it that said every chapter needs a girl old enough to rent a car?
Old 08-11-2003, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Continuing the hijack

Quote:
Originally posted by MTSUGURL

Why I should be in a sorority - Who was it that said every chapter needs a girl old enough to rent a car?
then i'd be perfect for a sorority!
Old 08-11-2003, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Smiley -- where are you rushing?