GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Zeta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,323
2 members and 2,321 guests
No Members online

Old 01-28-2005, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kaj51584 Send a message via Yahoo to kaj51584
Potential New Member ????

Hi Girls,

I am the recruitment chair for our chapter and we have just started our COR events. We only have 8 spots, and 7 potential new members came out, but I have a question to ask your opinion about one we had. She is 20 years old, a good friend of hers is an active member and also on bid committee, she is a great girl, however she has 2 very young children, 2 and 4. Now I know there is nothing in our by-laws or national rules about that but we are hesitant on giving her a bid because we arent sure she knows the obligations, time commitment and financial. So what do you all think? We need help as a chapter and our advisor has also said she would hesitate on giving her a bid. Thanks girls!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-28-2005, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

She has two young children and is interested in pledging a sorority as a collegiate? That, to me, says that she isn't truly aware of the time commitment that a sorority requires. I've got a 4-month-old at home right now and can barely keep up with my alumnae chapter's activities -- and we only meet once a month! Personally, I think not extending this girl a bid is the best thing for her and the chapter. Perhaps you could encourage her to look into alumnae initiation at a later date instead?

Also, keep in mind that she doesn't have to be a sister in order to be a friend.

Good luck!
dzrose93
Old 01-31-2005, 04:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a another question on the same lines: at one of our recruitment parties, we had an older woman come. I know her personally, she's a really great person. She's back in college after raising her kids (her husband is also in school with her and joined one of the fraternities last year) and says she wants to do the "college thing" now, because she couldn't when she was younger. I really like her, I think she'd make an absolutely wonderful sister, but my CCD is iffy on a bid, though.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Katie-
Since you guys are rebuilding, it might make it harder for you to recruit if you bid non-traditional students...on the other hand, it might help you create a niche. I know WVUT is a very different place than most other schools, Greek-atmosphere-wise. Perhaps this woman would be a good candidate for alum initiation? My collegiate chapter had the same situation--an older woman came through, even got invited to our Pref. The girls in the chapter loved her, and she loved them, but it was a competitive rush school, and she wasn't high enough on the list. Fortunately, she was eligible for alum inititation, even though she was enrolled as an undergrad, and they offered her a bid to "pledge" with the actual pledge class, and she went through the program with them and was initiated with them (she just wasn't an active member of the collegiate chapter...she immediately became active with the local alum chapter).

Something to think about...
A