GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,382
2 members and 2,380 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-08-2006, 02:14 PM

Well, there's downtown Johnstown, and then there's Richland Township (where UPJ is)...the two are very different...kinda like downtown Pgh & Robinson Twp.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I think everyone has been to Johnstown for something. I went there for a play when I was a junior in high school (AIM fieldtrip). I decided there and then I didn't like it there. I went to good ole SRU instead! Have you ever noticed that most Pittsburgh people tend to go to school in and around Pittsburgh? At SRU, I had 15 people from my high school there. Maybe it's just me!
Hugs
Jamie
Old 08-08-2006, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by betasigrose
I think everyone has been to Johnstown for something. I went there for a play when I was a junior in high school (AIM fieldtrip). I decided there and then I didn't like it there. I went to good ole SRU instead! Have you ever noticed that most Pittsburgh people tend to go to school in and around Pittsburgh? At SRU, I had 15 people from my high school there. Maybe it's just me!
Hugs
Jamie

And this, my friend, is the EXACT reason I chose a school out of state! I needed to get away from here to appreciate it more. But you ARE right, quite a few people do go to school close by/ commuter distance.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

My plan was to go to Pitt for one year, then transfer to William & Mary, where I had a full scholarship. My parents, in their wisdom, thought that, at 16 years old, I was too young to go away to school, so that was the compromise.

I've called Pitt grades 13, 14, 15, and 16 several times.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betasigrose
Have you ever noticed that most Pittsburgh people tend to go to school in and around Pittsburgh?
Seniors from my high school always go in alternating waves to Pitt or Penn State... one year, EVERYONE picks Pitt, the next, EVERYONE picks Penn State (This year happened to be Pitt's ).

I thought I'd hate seeing so many familiar faces at college, but some of my best friends now are kids from my high school class that ended up at PSU with me. Ahh, the irony!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile

I've called Pitt grades 13, 14, 15, and 16 several times.

I agree, Honey! Not in a malicious manner, either. It's just amazing that, in a school the size of Pitt, I'd always keep running into the same people over and over. I liked it.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani
Did more people used to transfer from UPJ and the other Pitt branch campuses to main campus? Very very few do nowadays. It's not like the Penn State system where people can't get into main campus, go to a branch, then try to transfer to main. They are very separate.

UPB is tiny... I don't know how they could even sustain greek life. And UPB is SO far away from main campus (which I learned when I had to drive to Bradford for work)- we're talking 4 hours! Chapters certainly couldn't get together on any sort of basis. Even UPJ is 2 hours away.

I've gotta wander up to the UPJ campus next time i'm in Johnstown with a bit of free time. I'm assuming there's no sorority houses, that they're in dorms or something?
My parents live in NY State - really close to Bradford. Actually, I bought my car in Bradford. That 4 hr drive kills me.

I'm starting at Pitt in the fall... I'm excited.

This post is so pointless, but I'm posting it anyway. I need to get a life hehe.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

UPJ Sororities at Pitt

When I attended Pitt in the mid 70's, Delta Zeta was the only national sorority that had a chapter at both Pitt and UPJ. Due to Panhellenic rules regarding quota and total, we were not permitted to add their actives to our chapter or else we would have had to take less pledges, since our chapter was already at total (which back then = 50 + seniors). As a result, we tried to include their 5-6 sisters who were transfers in some of our events, but they were unable to affiliate as active members.
There was a fraternity at the time that was almost all UPJ transfers called Delta Sigma Chi. They were a local, but were one of the largest and most popular fraternities on campus. Their house was located on Forbes Avenue and was actually on the Carnegie Mellon campus. I was sad to hear that their chapter folded sometime in the 80's. They would have made a great group for a national fraternity to colonize, but I believe some of the members thought that they could maintain without doing that. I guess it didn't work.

LampLady
Old 08-23-2006, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampLady
There was a fraternity at the time that was almost all UPJ transfers called Delta Sigma Chi. They were a local, but were one of the largest and most popular fraternities on campus. Their house was located on Forbes Avenue and was actually on the Carnegie Mellon campus. I was sad to hear that their chapter folded sometime in the 80's. They would have made a great group for a national fraternity to colonize, but I believe some of the members thought that they could maintain without doing that. I guess it didn't work.
LampLady
It must have folded in the early '80s as it was not on the Carnegie Mellon campus when I arrived as a freshman in '83.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 PM

Delta Sigma Chi is still active at UPJ, however I don't think they're the third oldest local in the USA (where do people come up with these things??).

http://www.upj.pitt.edu/internet/Tem....aspx?pid=1004
Old 08-23-2006, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Probably the same place that came up with an ABC/XYZ/PQR pin being on the moon.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, well, here is the phi mu info from our history book...
beta theta chapter (1920-1961)- was origionally a local sorority, alpha mu. declining interest in sororities led to suspension of chapter operations. met at first in classrooms, then rented a 6-room apartment which they ran like a chapter house. moved to various locations. in 1960 moved from bellefield dwellings apartment to dormitory accomodations set aside for sororities.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Honey - don't know if anyone answered you but recruitment is

Sept 7th -(steelers regular season game...are you kidding me!) 11 rounds
Sept 8th - 11 rounds
Sept 9 - 8 rounds
Sept 10 - 4 rounds
Sept 11 - pref
Sept 12 bid day

I've been MIA - super busy but wanted to drop in and say hello!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyphimu
ok, well, here is the phi mu info from our history book...
beta theta chapter (1920-1961)- was origionally a local sorority, alpha mu. declining interest in sororities led to suspension of chapter operations. met at first in classrooms, then rented a 6-room apartment which they ran like a chapter house. moved to various locations. in 1960 moved from bellefield dwellings apartment to dormitory accomodations set aside for sororities.
So Phi Mu was in Amos Hall! I wonder which floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire1977
Honey - don't know if anyone answered you but recruitment is

Sept 7th -(steelers regular season game...are you kidding me!) 11 rounds
Sept 8th - 11 rounds
Sept 9 - 8 rounds
Sept 10 - 4 rounds
Sept 11 - pref
Sept 12 bid day

I've been MIA - super busy but wanted to drop in and say hello!
Hey, girl! I've missed you! I've been told three different Recruitment Schedules, but none included the 7th before. Typical Pitt - Recruitment always has to mess with either the Steelers or the High Holy Days!

Will you be at Amos? I'm planning to go to at LEAST two nights - I find out on Saturday - and possibly Bid Day. Are you still advising, or can you disappear to be "Panhellenic" for a little?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry about the hijack guys but...

Here you go! Obviously these are when the party starts so if you're going you'll want to be there early.

I'm still playing advisor. I won't be there on Friday or Saturday though as I'll be at IUP attending the Something of Value Program there. My chapter is not really excited about that because, lol, I haven't missed a day of fully structured recruitment, um, ever. I'll be there on pref night early most likely if you want to stop down and see the havoc.

Also - they are doing registration and all of that stuff online this year. The registration form is on the www.gogreek.pitt.edu website.

Thursday, August 31 - Meet the Greeks - 8:30-10:30
Wednesday, September 6 – Rushline - 9:00-10:30
Thursday, September 7- 11 Rounds - 9:00-11:40
Friday, September 8 - 11 Rounds - 7:00-10:15
Saturday, September 9 – 8 Rounds
10:30-1:15 1 hr break 2:15-5:00
Sunday, September 10 - 4 Rounds – 11:00-2:45
Monday, September 11 – Preference – 9:00-11:15
Tuesday, September 12 – Bid Night 9:00 for New Members (9:30 out of the Union

As far as Amos Hall - we were rechartered in 1966. I was looking through an old photo album and it mentions us moving into Amos either in 1967 or 1968...shortly after we were chartered.

ETA: I'm sorry but aren't Steelers games considered High Holy days around here??!?!

Last edited by fire1977; 08-28-2006 at 09:54 AM.