GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,406
2 members and 1,404 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2010, 05:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Reasons for Rerushing

What are considered 'valid', or more favorable, reasons for rerushing? Not necessarily just pertaining to my situation..I'm curious about what the more favorable reasons are in general, too.

I will be rushing as a junior at an SEC-like school (read: recs are absolutely necessary) and had rushed for the first time as a sophomore and depledged.

I have recs for every house this year (which I did not last year) and a new legacy that I did not have when I previously rushed (parent recently got married).
Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 AM
GreekChat Member

The only one I can really think of is grades - if your grades were too low to get a bid and you greatly improved them over the next year.

Pledging then dropping out probably isn't one of them, unless the chapter was closed or something like that.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Pledging and dropping = damaged goods. At a competitive school, particularly when you're rushing as a junior, that's not something that will be easily explained away. (And yes, the chapters will know about it.)
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

My sorority doesn't automatically consider steps to be legacies. Can't say what policies others have.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello! I've been through rush once at my school, but had to drop out the 2nd day or Philanthropy Day because the houses that invited me back were the most expensive houses and my family and I couldn't afford for me to be in them at that time.
I was pretty broken up about it because it was something I had really wanted to join. After, I made friends during my freshman year who were Greek and it helped me realize that I wanted to go through a second time. So, I took a job during my first year of school and have been working all during this summer to make Greek Life feasible for me this upcoming Fall.
I know that for some girls there is a certain stigma with dropping out of recruitment because you may be viewed as one of those girls that quote "didn't get the best house" or "didn't get your legacy house", so dropped instead of finishing the process. But, I do feel that my reason was a legit one that I couldn't control. But, after working hard to earn money to pay for Greek Life for myself and getting recs and signing up to re-rush I'm pretty excited about my chances! Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I would also say illness/family issues during recruitment are a valid reason. However, I don't really think your reasons for going through FR a second time are ever really addressed. I'm at a competitive SEC school as well, and I can't even fathom ever asking a PNM why she's rushing again. I would even find it kind of awkward if she brought it up.

As for the "damaged goods" thing... My first instinct is to absolutely agree, but from what I've seen in the past year (at least at my school), maybe not. A girl in my pledge class depledged, and is now in another chapter after going through recruitment again. There are like 2 or 3 women in my chapter as well who went through FR and didn't feel right with the house they ended up in, so they depledged. It's not totally unheard of, but going through recruitment after depledging another chapter will very likely make things tougher for you.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:16 PM

Family issues, or a class or housing snafu. As in, your apartment flooded and you lost tons of $$$, or you changed majors and had to add in 6 extra credits that semester or you'd be there an extra semester/year.

The only other thing I can think of is if there's a group on your campus that has a reputation for hardcore physical hazing, and even with that, there are people (especially if you didn't pledge as a freshman) that will say "silly girl knew what to expect when she signed up" and have no sympathy.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to barefootbeauty
I will be rerushing because my father was diagnosed with cancer two months before rush. I went through, thinking I could handle it and...well, we all know how stressful rush week is.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^Barefootbeauty, so sorry about your father, and completely understand that the heightened emotions of recruitment week could be too much in addition to that burden. Best of luck to you and your father this year! Hope you have a great experience in recruitment.

Grades, finances, family issues, getting the flu... those are very legit reasons. Mocotro, without knowing your school and situation, no one can say whether depledging is a big issue. On my campus back in the day, it was a deal killer, but times have changed (a lot). All you can do is keep an open mind and go for it, knowing that as a jr. your choices may be severely limited.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mocotro, I can't think of a better reason to drop out of rush, but I'm terribly sorry that what it was. I hope your dad's doing well, and that you have the best of luck during Recruitment!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm re-rushing as well in the fall(informal recruitment). My school doesn't need recs or anything, but the sisters can decided on who they want by grades and extracurriculars. With my grades and realizing that I wanted to work on those before going through, I have finally decided in going through again. I do agree with one of the posts before me, no sister is going to ask you why you're re-rushing.

It really depends on your school...the worst thing that could happen is you don't get in. If you don't do it again, you'll regret it.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeish View Post
I'm rerushing this year. I went through rush last year, got all the way to prefrence before I dropped out. But rush was a REALLY stressful time for me last year. It was a combination of things um i was starting school again for the first time in 9 months. I grew up in another country and there was some family issues as well.
I also didn't really have a GPA last year cause my high school didn't give GPAs, but now I do obviously and it's not bad. Plus I'm more setteled. I'm just worried about it coming across badly that I'm rerushing you know? I'm a sophmore though and I know there are quite a few sophmores who rush at my school - in fact I know some of my friends are. So it should be fine right? Do sister's tend to ask why you're rushing again?
Not following as to why you dropped out at preference. Your reasoning is quite vague. Call me crazy, but my impression is that you didn't like the houses you had left at pref so you dropped, and you can use these things as vague excuses.

Your HS GPA doesn't sound like it had anything to do with anything. You made it to pref, so obviously grades weren't an issue.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Not following as to why you dropped out at preference. Your reasoning is quite vague. Call me crazy, but my impression is that you didn't like the houses you had left at pref so you dropped, and you can use these things as vague excuses.

Your HS GPA doesn't sound like it had anything to do with anything. You made it to pref, so obviously grades weren't an issue.
I actually loved one of the houses and am just praying I get asked back there this year. I dropped out before pref, but on the day of pref. I do know what houses I got for pref but I told my Rho Chi's I wanted to withdraw before they even gave me my schedule.