GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,350
2 members and 1,348 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 01-27-2021, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
So much red! That badge simply oozes.
It's pretty, but the most gorgeous NPC badge I've ever seen is a plain, white gold AOPi badge with a single ruby. It is just stunning in its simplicity. I would love to be an AOPi just to have that badge (shallow, I know)!!

I really wish Tri Delta had variations of our badge. They do for Executive officers and traveling consultants, but not for other members.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
We don't even have a 60 year recognition. For 75 years, members get an embroidered handkerchief, which is very...practical.

The reason the handkerchief was gifted was because, at 93+ years old, it was thought that it would be too difficult for a sister to fuss with the little clasp on a little lapel pin. Also, they felt that sisters in their 90s typically weren't going to events and wearing pins. So, yes, practical, but I guess they meant well.

That said, did you know that the handkerchief was replaced? 75-year members now receive a stick-pin with a cubic zirconia "diamond". I think this is a decent compromise as, it's nicer then a handkerchief, but a senior sister will have an easier time with the stick pin. Ironically enough, the stick pin is meant to be an enhancer - the badge is supposed to be centered in the rays of the crescent. Though, senior sisters would have to fuss with the clasp on the badge. I believe, however, that the sisters can just wear the stick pin by itself as well.

True and Constant
Old 02-16-2021, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsinore View Post
Changes in ADPi milestone pieces this past year:

Old 10 year pin: New 10 year pendant:

Old 25 yr pin/pendant: New 25 year pin:

Old 50 year pendant/pin: New 50 year pin:
Old 60 year pin (the old 50 year pin fit inside an outer ring of sapphires): New 60 year pin:
I like the new 25 year and 60 year pins.

But I really liked the way that the previous 60 year pin complemented the 50 year pin and I think you could also wear it alone. Would have been cool if the new 60 year pin replaced the old 50 year pin and then they had an enhancer for it for 60 years.

But those are just my thoughts.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
Resurrecting this thread to share a badge that I rescued from that site earlier this year. The badge is from the early 1950s

Gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Love this design and how it is meant to complement the badge by placing it in the crescent!
Old 02-16-2021, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
AOII is offering a limited edition All Ruby Badge for our upcoming 125th Anniversary. I love it. And I might treat myself to one since this fall will be my 25th anniversary as an initiated member in AOII!

https://www.hjgreek.com/product/show...roductID/68123
https://www.hjgreek.com/assets/image...arge/68123.jpg
Wow, I love it!!! Will you get one? You need to! For science!

And they are offering it in white gold & silver as well it looks like. Looking at them both, I’m not sure which I would choose if I were an AOII.

Made me think of this gorgeous AOII badge you posted 10 years ago! Though I do hope the rubies on these new ones are more red than pink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
I saw this posted on FB from AOII Leadership Academy this past weekend....it was too pretty not to share with you all. I am waiting to find out the history and who the owner of this badge is! I also would love to know why it has a guard...technically that is not allowed in AOII! But this badge is so awesome I think that rule could slide!
Old 02-16-2021, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The reason the handkerchief was gifted was because, at 93+ years old, it was thought that it would be too difficult for a sister to fuss with the little clasp on a little lapel pin. Also, they felt that sisters in their 90s typically weren't going to events and wearing pins. So, yes, practical, but I guess they meant well.

That said, did you know that the handkerchief was replaced? 75-year members now receive a stick-pin with a cubic zirconia "diamond". I think this is a decent compromise as, it's nicer then a handkerchief, but a senior sister will have an easier time with the stick pin. Ironically enough, the stick pin is meant to be an enhancer - the badge is supposed to be centered in the rays of the crescent. Though, senior sisters would have to fuss with the clasp on the badge. I believe, however, that the sisters can just wear the stick pin by itself as well.

I didn't realize we had 4 levels of enhancer pins now. The 50 year pin used to be free, but there was a $4 charge for the certificate (I order these for our AC)...I wonder if members have to pay for the 50 year pin now. I notice there's a "shop now" for each enhancer.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I didn't realize we had 4 levels of enhancer pins now. The 50 year pin used to be free, but there was a $4 charge for the certificate (I order these for our AC)...I wonder if members have to pay for the 50 year pin now. I notice there's a "shop now" for each enhancer.

Yes, my understanding previously was that the 50-year pin was free if being ordered by the AC to gift to the member. If a member wanted to purchase one for herself directly, then she could opt to do so for a nominal amount on the website. However, looking at the new website, it's not clear. It does appear that an AC is being directed to Herff Jones to purchase them even if they are being gifted. I'd have to check with the Alumnae Engagement Dept. to see if this policy has changed.

True and Constant
Old 02-17-2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
If you or any other Gamma Phi Beta sisters have a picture of this stick pin with the badge, I'd love to see it!

~~~ cries again in AEPhi ~~~
Old 02-17-2021, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
If you or any other Gamma Phi Beta sisters have a picture of this stick pin with the badge, I'd love to see it!

~~~ cries again in AEPhi ~~~

Awww....LOL These are the stick pins used as enhancers.

75 year, 50 year, 25 year, and 10 year

The 10 and 25 year milestone pins were also recently changed. They used to look like this:

True and Constant
Old 02-18-2021, 02:38 AM

So pretty!
Old 02-18-2021, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

How lovely!
Old 02-19-2021, 06:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Enhancer Pins are a lovely concept. Do any groups outside the NPC do enhancer pins?
Old 02-09-2022, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I figured I would contribute to this thread as seeing images on Google images from this thread is what introduced me to GC.

So my fraternity is Theta Tau, the first and foremost co-ed engineering fraternity. Pictured here is our member's badge which we have used since our first national convention in 1911. The main parts of our badge are the greek letters, the crossed hammer and tongs, the dark red garnet in the middle and pearls around the golden gear, the meaning of which is secret (Sorry for anyone who is curious ).

Prior to this, we existed as the Society of Hammer and Tongs and used this badge which was changed to the current one as it wasn't distinctive and it made it unclear what our fraternity was about.

With that exposition out of the way, here is a picture of what my members badge currently looks like. I still don't know if my crowded badge is impressive or tacky but it certainly is unique among others in my chapter. My chapter does not wear guards or dangles, and when we get initiated, our chapter bulk orders the cheapest option for each member, so our pearls and garnet are fake and our badge is gold plate. Currently I have a dangle on here for even the smallest thing that I've done but I think that when I get a higher quality badge, I will only include dangles for ritual officer positions that I have held. I first saw people wearing guards and dangles at the 2021 National Convention last Summer, which got me wanting to put extra stuff on my badge.

On that note, the mention of the National Convention brings me to the convention bars! When you go to a national convention or a Theta Tau Educational Foundation Leadership Conference, you get a new bar added to your 'ladder'. (Blacked out as the badge has my first and last name on it)

Both the national convention and the leadership conference happen biennially and alternating, so 2021 had a national convention and this summer will have a leadership conference and so on. So, in theory you can add something to your ladder each year, which leads to the older alumni having very long ladders. Pictured is past Grand Regent Dean Bettinger on the left who has the longest set of convention bars I've ever seen, and this is an older picture so it is even longer now.

The last thing that I have is just a bit of miscellaneous information. Below is a sister pin that I saved from fratpin. I don't know if it is still made but if it is, it is a very rare sight. It is just like the members badge except without the hammer and tongs and about half the size. This one in my collection is painted plastic which I didn't realize when I bought it and its missing a fake pearl, but whatever, it's not the end of the world.

If you all have any more questions feel free to ask. I love reading the posts on this thread. Apologies if any of the images are too big, that I my first time trying to embed images into my posts.

Last edited by RahRah241; 02-09-2022 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Fixed image sizes
Old 02-10-2022, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

^^ VERY cool! Thank you!

For any ADPis here, there is going to be an interactive webinar with Maureen Calloway Carnevale on Tuesday, February 22 at 8 pm, EST. Maureen is an absolute treasure concerning Alpha Delta Pi ritual jewelry, and has an amazing collection!

I attended the last one, and it was a great (and informative!) time! You may want to have yours at the ready during the program.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Honeychile. I'll most likely be back some time soon to post some badges that I'm about to rescue. Also, does anyone have good tips on how to take pictures of badges so that you can see the most detail and the shininess doesn't wash out the image?