GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,498
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, banntpetrova532
» Online Users: 2,112
2 members and 2,110 guests
banntpetrova532, Titchou

Old 08-02-2006, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Question for the Southerners!

I really want to move to Savannah next fall after I graduate. I've only been there once, three years ago, but I absolutely fell in love with it. I have one concern though and this is where I'm hoping the southern GCers can help me out. I've been told by a couple different people that in the south, you generally aren't "accepted" unless you come from A LOT of money or unless you've grown up there your whole life. My family is by no means poor, but I wouldn't describe us as very wealthy. I've never lived anywhere by Maryland, excluding my college years at West Virginia University and I have no ties to anywhere in the south. I've also been told Savannah is a pretty wealthy area and that these "rules" would definitely apply there. But I'm wondering since I'll only be 21, I'm not moving down there with a family or anything, more of as a "young professional", will I really find this to be very true? If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Savannah 'society' is very close knit and hard to get into. If that is the arena into which you want to be accepted, you'll probably need to work hard in 'acceptable' charity organizations (think Jr. League), etc. and have some connections.

If you are just looking to move down there, meet folks and have a good time, then there are plenty of ways to accomplish that.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you renting or buying?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I moved to northern Florida from a US territory.

Though my accent does stand out, I was welcomed by most people.

The only xenophobic/ethnically prejudiced (not exactly racist) comments I have ever gotten were from someone who ironically was NOT from the USA. She may have been a US citizen by then, but she was not born an American citizen like I was.

When I went to Savannah to see it with my grandmother 6 years ago, I do not remember anything negative happening. Everyone was friendly just like people in the South have been friendly to me in general.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 08-02-2006, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, there is a difference between being greeted kindly, and being accepted into savannah high society. You won't be shunned, so don't worry about that. However, if you're interested in becoming a socialite, you'll need a lot of contacts, involvement, a historic district or Skidaway Island home, and a serious commitment of time.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia
When I went to Savannah to see it with my grandmother 6 years ago, I do not remember anything negative happening. Everyone was friendly just like people in the South have been friendly to me in general.
My understanding is that, in general, southerners will NEVER be rude or say anything negative. To your face.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
My understanding is that, in general, southerners will NEVER be rude or say anything negative. To your face.
Bless their hearts.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I was told indeed by a Pennsylvania native who has lived in the South for a while that the stereotypical Southern Belle IS very prim and proper, but can be two faced.

I may not fit the stereotype. But after 11 years living in the South, I do consider myself to be a Southerner. And it has been relevant when I travel to other parts of the country.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 08-02-2006, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

There are plenty of transplants in Savannah; it's a fun place to live. My family's there but it is not like the society stuff is the only stuff to do there. I imagine most of the new people don't even know they're missing anything.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie

If you consider Kentucky part of the South, I can assure you that isn't true. :P
Old 08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Its true, we're polite. We may occasionally talk about you behind your back. Usually, its after you unfortunate looking yankees return home.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax
Savannah 'society' is very close knit and hard to get into. If that is the arena into which you want to be accepted, you'll probably need to work hard in 'acceptable' charity organizations (think Jr. League), etc. and have some connections.

If you are just looking to move down there, meet folks and have a good time, then there are plenty of ways to accomplish that.
PenguinTrax hit the nail on the head. We lived in Savannah while my husband was in residency at the Trauma Center there, and our oldest son was born there. Savannah is very friendly and hospitable, much to do, etc. And yes, there is very much an "old society,wealthy society" in place there, and they let in who they want to let in. Having said that, wealth gained respectfully, along with class, opens many doors. Junior League involvement would be extremely beneficial. (Along with the home in the historic district or Skidaway Island! Shinerbock- behave!)
Old 08-02-2006, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and don't read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and assume you know everything. (My grandmother's copy is riddled with her notes; she wrote the publisher to try to demand retractions on a few points. To no avail, but bless her heart for trying.)
Old 08-02-2006, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Does the Alpha Phi HQ have a website that you could do a Sister Search?

Alpha Gam has one in the Members Services section (available to only Alpha Gams). It has been VERY BENEFICIAL and FUN TO LOOK AT!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Thank you everyone for your input! It's nice to know I won't be sticking out like a sore thumb down there. I'm planning on renting (some of the leases I've looked at are for 6 or 9 months) and seeing how I like it, and if I'm happy down there, staying permanently. I've just always wanted to live down south and I figure right after graduation when I'm still young is the time to do it. Does anyone know what the Savannah nightlife is like? I know it's not a very big city (I think one website I checked told me the population was a little over 200,000) but my friend who I plan on moving with has a young professor from Georgia who told him Savannah has a decent amount of young professionals. I'm hoping to land a nice, well-mannered Georgia boy