GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,440
1 members and 2,439 guests
aamasjnra743

Old 06-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikchick View Post
three cheers for honey that was a splendid rush thread, with several lines that made me giggle. you have both an excellent memory and a talent for telling a story - usually with the retro threads by the last round it's pretty clear to me which one is going to be the chapter pledged, but you had me strung out until the last
Thank you! I was pretty strung out by then, too!

Quote:
also, those pref parties sound AMAZING. necklaces? monogrammed chocolate for each girl? men in tuxes? how much did all of this cost?
WAY too much!! If you had rich alumnae with connections, it didn't cost the chapter that much, but if you totalled everything, it probably ran well over $4-5,000. We had an alumna who made our dresses, another who had an in with the bakery which made our petit fours, another who worked in a jewelry store. Another chapter who did basically the same Pref as we did spent over $20,000 for the Pref party alone - so the strong, connected, monied chapters did well, but the small, less well off chapters couldn't hold a candle to the "magic" that money could buy. That's why the "no-frills" rush really works better in the long haul. (much as I hate to say it!)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-28-2007, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug
People still wear those.
Correction: People wear those AGAIN and this time the alli is facing the opposite direction.

~back to your regularly scheduled retro-recruitment thread!

Not necessarily. I have a vintage 80s something croc-logo v-neck sweater, a polo bought sometime between 94-06 AND a recent polo bought sometime after 06 and all the tails are facing the chestbone and the mouths are closest to the left arm.

Last edited by alum; 06-28-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
This was at the time when AEPhi & SDT were allowed to rush non-Jewish members, but very rarely did. TPA was the same way with non-Catholics. It's hard to understand in this day & age, but what would happen during Rush was that they would steer the conversation towards the High Holy Days ("Do you want to see the Sedar Plate that my boyfriend got me?") or Catholic school.
i just had to add, that the line about showing off the seder plate is still cracking me up. just the mental image of someone talking that excitedly about it, i guess
Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
i just had to add, that the line about showing off the seder plate is still cracking me up. just the mental image of someone talking that excitedly about it, i guess
At my campus, I think they just tastefully told women it was a predominantly Jewish house during the third round (I'm not sure, because they didn't tell the Jews).
Old 06-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I got this feeling that it was a form of commitment, like a pre-engagement or something, but it also said, "what's yours look like?"
Old 07-01-2007, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
One of the people in my Rho Chi group did become an Emerald, and one of my favorite GC people is one .
lol - I hope that's me!

Ah - recruitment counselors....still an issue today at Pitt but getting a little better - some of the things I hear every year are ridiculous.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire1977 View Post
lol - I hope that's me!

Ah - recruitment counselors....still an issue today at Pitt but getting a little better - some of the things I hear every year are ridiculous.

I can remember the rush when I met you - the Rho Chis were actually trying to sit in on the Pref ceremony!

Uh, no. That's what the nice, comfy chairs in the hallway are for - Rho Chis!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Honeychile, I won’t lie….. I was captivated. After reading about those Pref. parties, the word “frills” now has a new meaning for me!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I love Honeychile.

I am so tired but can't adjust to this whole time change after being away for over a year. Geez, everything I have missed. Can't sleep so I have read all of these. I always wondered how you got to ADPi after being a Kappa legacy, nice to finally know. You are always so neat and kind. Hope I am like that when I finish school and grad school and get out in the real world. You are the perfect ADPi, I have always thought that. Greeeeaaat! LOL
Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I just feel like bumping this thread for no reason. It's a great read.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, it's fabulous!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

What a wonderful story! I was active during the "full-frills" days of recruitment and this brings back memories....
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I just feel like bumping this thread for no reason. It's a great read.
Thanks! This was an awesome read during super bowl power outage!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I was a semi-frills rush. There were a lot of similarities in the pref parties (petits fours for sure), but we didn't get gifts. Those had been retired just before me, maybe 1981 or 82. They had also JUST retired hand made, themed to the party construction paper nametags that were apparently really intricate and surreally time consuming.

I actually like the idea of the chat dates (don't some schools still do this, calling them Coke dates?) at deferred rush schools, but it has to be a nightmare for dirty rushing.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for bumping this. After reading carnation's earlier today, I so wanted to read Honeychile's, but did not want to search for it.