GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,417
2 members and 1,415 guests
Xidelt, znathanhulzeo24

Old 08-23-2003, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Represent Your City/Rate Your City (Black Enterprise Survey)

Okay,
I currently live in Houston, TX, and I love the city. I eventually want to raise a family here. While I am young and have no responsibilities holding me here, I want to expereince another city. I am currently looking into graduate school, and want to go to school in another city. So........... can you let me know the pros and cons of your city? I would really appreciate it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2003, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Wonderful1908
I live in Houston so I guess I really can't reply , Houston is a great place for young educated people, the price of housing here is awesome, but I am from Cali. I don't know it was a choice between here and Atlanta, I'm not really feeling Houston, maybe I need to get out more.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diva_01 Send a message via Yahoo to Diva_01
Toledo!

I live in Toledo, Ohio. As you can see, we call it too little to do, ohio. But...I love it here. Depending on what you like to do, we have a great, but expensive, movie theater, along with smaller ones, museums, COSI, symphonies, and a lot of plays and comedians come here. There are TONS of shopping and concerts in Detroit, which is only 45 minutes away. University of Toledo is a reknown college from what I hear, and there are a lot of festivals and things in the summer time. We also have a highly rated zoo, and Cedar Point, the number one amusement park, is only an hour away. So...
The things I don't like, but that's because I've lived here all my life, is that everyone knows everyone, because Toledo is small. Um, and crime is bad for it to be so small, but it's my home
Old 08-23-2003, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I am in Washington, DC ,and I LOVE IT!!!! There are a ton of universities here (including the MD/VA area), so graduate school is no problem. They don't call it Chocolate City for nothing; so many Black folk, and different types of Black folk. I love a little variety. There is SO much to do!!! I have been here almost a year, and I have STILL not done the tourist thing. I still have not hit all the clubs. The down side: people drive crazy and the parking sucks. Also, people are SO pretentious here. Home of playing Black Geography and passing business cards: what do you do? who do you know? where did you go to school? did you pledge? blah blah blah. Being from the midwest (Cleveland), I am not used to this senseless chatter. I went to a party last weekend in Cincinnati and had such a good time; when we left we realized that we didn't know what ANY of the people there did for a living. It was SO refreshing.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 1browngirl Send a message via Yahoo to 1browngirl
I live NC. I have resided in Raleigh and Cary both and I have to say, I like it. The good thing about the RDU (Raleigh/Durham) area is that its 3 hours away from the beach and the mountains, if you want to take a vacation or just a get away. There are a host of colleges in NC alone... the whole UNC System (Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Pembroke, Wilmington, Asheville, etc), NC STATE, Duke and a host of HBCU's like NCCU, St. Augustines, Shaw, Bennett, Livingston, Fayetteville State, Winston-Salem State, etc. There's always something going on somewhere and you don't have to drive to far to get to it. The weather is ok (if you overlook the ice/snow storms and hurricanes that we are prone to having every now and then).

Greater Service, Greater Progress since 1922
Old 08-23-2003, 09:35 PM

^^^^^^^^^^ co-sign on the above post.

I live in Raleigh, NC.

But, I'm from Richmond, VA!!!!!!

What can I say nice about Richmond. Uh, err, uh...we have VUU, VCU, and U of R. We are 20 minutes from VSU. We are about 45 minutes from William and Mary. We are an hour or so from Norfolk State, etc. We are in between D.C. and N.C....so that's good for a roadtrip.

Uh...err...uh...we're building up our downtown shopping and business district AGAIN. Uh...err...uh...I guess that's it!
Old 08-24-2003, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

You know I am really looking @ the DC area. I am interested in a master's program in Speech Pathology, and Howard has that program. I have never been to the DC/Baltimore area, (when I was in New York, I wanted to ride the train there, but the sniper stuff was going on) but I have always wanted to go there.

Thanks for the replys so far, and I look forward to the new replys to this topic!!!
Old 08-24-2003, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LB1914
Quote:
Originally posted by Wonderful1908
I live in Houston so I guess I really can't reply , Houston is a great place for young educated people, the price of housing here is awesome, but I am from Cali. I don't know it was a choice between here and Atlanta, I'm not really feeling Houston, maybe I need to get out more.
I've been hearing mixed reviews about Houston, but I think that Houston and Atlanta are about what and what. I have been in Atlanta off-and-on since '98 and I have seen it slowly decline in terms of jobs and other factors. I am from California as well, so anywhere besides there takes a lot of getting used to.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Wonderful1908
Quote:
Originally posted by LB1914
. I am from California as well, so anywhere besides there takes a lot of getting used to.
Ain't that the truth!!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I'm in Detroit!
Old 08-27-2003, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: To all the bill collecta's I clare fo'gawd i'll pay ya on the 1st
Send a message via AIM to Gyrl7 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyrl7
Im in Money Making Manhattan..........Home of NYU, not too far from Fordham U, Columbia U, etc,etc,etc.............
Old 08-27-2003, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08
I am in Washington, DC ,and I LOVE IT!!!! There are a ton of universities here (including the MD/VA area), so graduate school is no problem. They don't call it Chocolate City for nothing; so many Black folk, and different types of Black folk. I love a little variety. There is SO much to do!!! I have been here almost a year, and I have STILL not done the tourist thing. I still have not hit all the clubs. The down side: people drive crazy and the parking sucks. Also, people are SO pretentious here. Home of playing Black Geography and passing business cards: what do you do? who do you know? where did you go to school? did you pledge? blah blah blah. Being from the midwest (Cleveland), I am not used to this senseless chatter. I went to a party last weekend in Cincinnati and had such a good time; when we left we realized that we didn't know what ANY of the people there did for a living. It was SO refreshing.
I'll have to co-sign with you Ideal08. I've been in DC for almost 5 years it is very pretentious. But the one thing I will say about Chocolate City is that, what ever it is your into, you can find it in DC. Every culture and ethnicity has their own special piece of DC and it's surrounding areas.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
I split my time between Orange County (no comment) and San Diego, California. I am a native San Diegan, but honestly, living here is tough because most housing is unaffordable, even in neighborhoods that are considered "minority." Unless you are a demon saver, I don't consider housing that's $200,000+ affordable. I'm fortunate, however, because we're going to inherit the home we grew up here.

It's also not an easy place to find companionship.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Quote:
Originally posted by Gyrl7
Im in Money Making Manhattan..........Home of NYU, not too far from Fordham U, Columbia U, etc,etc,etc.............
I live in Brooklyn, and you can agree with me that it's expensive as hell living in NYC, including the not-so-nice-run-down areas.

Brooklyn College and Long Island University - Brooklyn Campus have some pretty good graduate programs.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LB1914
Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
I split my time between Orange County (no comment) and San Diego, California. I am a native San Diegan, but honestly, living here is tough because most housing is unaffordable, even in neighborhoods that are considered "minority." Unless you are a demon saver, I don't consider housing that's $200,000+ affordable. I'm fortunate, however, because we're going to inherit the home we grew up here.

It's also not an easy place to find companionship.
No offense, but I couldn't stand San Diego when I lived there('89-'90)

At that time there was no BET(BET was actually good back then)and the one Black radio station that they had disappeared. It reappeared a year later, but at that time we had moved from North Park to Carmel Mountain Ranch and you could barely catch it out there

I won't even get into the gang situation. Of course parts of East San Diego and South East San Diego weren't plush, but fools that lived all the way in Poway and Escondido still had the nerve to try to bang