GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,171
1 members and 1,170 guests
No Members online

Old 02-02-2015, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing with a baby on the way?

I want to rush for a fraternity next fall but I'm unsure if I'll be able to manage basically having a family at home. What do you all think? Will I have enough time?

I'm just going to school right now, I'm not working by the way.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who is currently a million weeks pregnant. I'd be pretty pissed if my SO thought he'd have the time for a Fraternity.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:30 PM

Are you married? Do you live with the baby's mother?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

You're going to have a child, you aren't working to support it and you want to join a fraternity? If your SO didn't kill you for this, how would you pay for it?????? Ludicrous...and I ain't talking about the rapper...
Old 02-03-2015, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I could afford it all without a job atleast for now. Well that's why I'm asking this question. I guess I'll take that as I won't have time.

I live with the babies mother but I'm not married.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

In all honesty...

I believe you need to do a bit of soul searching. Providing a stable life for your child, his/her mother and getting your education should be much higher on the priority list than joining a men's fraternity. I sincerely doubt you have any clue about the time commitments of a newborn or said newborn's mother. To answer your question directly, no, you don't have the time.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

My 2 cents:

1) I doubt you'll have time for a fraternity with the baby and school and prioritizing your relationship with your girlfriend. And paying fraternity dues with student loans is dumb when you'll have more important things to spend your money on.

2) I doubt the brothers would be able to relate to a guy with a kid on the way.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:42 AM

Ok, let's say you have the money and your partner is ok with it.

It depends a lot on the school you're attending. If you are going to a very traditional school like Big 10, SEC, Pac 10, you are going to be required to attend a LOT of fraternity functions, and spending a lot of time away from your family.

If you're at a largely commuter school, fraternity life may be less "busy" but with fewer members in the chapter, each is asked to give more of themselves, and everyone needs to be there. You're going to have times where you need to drop everything due to your child and even the most laid back chapter will get tired of that quickly.

Also, some chapters require you to live in the house at some point.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, with what extra time you may have, you will want and need to focus on academics. The glaring misspellings and grammatical errors in your posts raise some concerns. A baby will take away time from your studies, the latter of which should come second to your family.

Last edited by pinksequins; 02-03-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to try to say this nicely. But it's time to grow up. A fraternity should be the LAST thing on your mind. This has got to be a troll. No one is this stupid.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Even if you do get a bid (very unlikely), the attitudes within the Greek community at your school will be along the lines of, "WTF?" to "Ewwww...creepy!!".

There would be difficulties relating for everyone involved, since most active fraternity and sorority members on college campuses are single with no children. Once you cross a threshold like parenthood, even if you're college-aged, you can never go back because your life will never be the same again.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
Even if you do get a bid (very unlikely), the attitudes within the Greek community at your school will be along the lines of, "WTF?" to "Ewwww...creepy!!".
Probably true for most schools, but there is always the possibility that the OP's school (and the Greek system at that school) has a larger than usual percentage of non-traditional students where something like this might not be quite as out of the ordinary.

That said, and as a father, I'm in agreement with those who say joining a fraternity should be very, very low on the priority list at this point. If a student with a baby at home has time to be really involved in a fraternity, then he's likely doing school or family—or both—wrong.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Banned

As MysticCat stated, there are different types of schools and different types of Greek systems. There are also schools and Greek systems where it is not too uncommon for people with children to pursue membership and be active members (and who are able to balance their life in a healthy and effective manner).

OP, go based on the culture of the school and how you feel about your ability to balance it all. If you are accepted into a GLO, always remember the world doesn't revolve around you and you aren't the only person in that chapter who is busy with other obligations. Make sure you don't subject the members of that chapter to dreaded phrases like "I can't participate in XYZ...I have a child...I have a 'family'...you wouldn't understand...." Remember that you are the one who pursued membership and you could've easily been passed over for another prospective member.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
As MysticCat stated, there are different types of schools and different types of Greek systems. There are also schools and Greek systems where it is not too uncommon for people with children to pursue membership and be active members (and who are able to balance their life in a healthy and effective manner).

OP, go based on the culture of the school and how you feel about your ability to balance it all. If you are accepted into a GLO, always remember the world doesn't revolve around you and you aren't the only person in that chapter who is busy with other obligations. Make sure you don't subject the members of that chapter to dreaded phrases like "I can't participate in XYZ...I have a child...I have a 'family'...you wouldn't understand...." Remember that you are the one who pursued membership and you could've easily been passed over for another prospective member.
Amen.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-03-2015, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

How old are you?