GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,588
2 members and 2,586 guests
JayhawkAOII, PrettyBoy

Old 04-05-2004, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Crackdown: Underage Drinking Arrests at Ball State (Lambda Chi Alpha party)

The Star-Press reports on a large number of arrests by Muncie, Indiana police for underage drinking at a Ball State U. fraternity party this past weekend. Some quotes suggest strained town-gown relations.
The article indicates that the fraternity party had more guests than are allowed under university rules, and that the party was not properly registered (or whatever the terminology is).

Article:

http://www.thestarpress.com/articles...-8105-004.html

edited to correct the URL

Last edited by exlurker; 04-05-2004 at 12:51 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-05-2004, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
They need to make under-age drinking a felony and be done with it.

That way a serious dialogue can happen.

These local governments create laws that result in serious charges and repercussions, but by keeping them as misdemeanors the laws don't have to pass the scrutiny of a jury trial.

Also, the ways the laws are written you are automatically guilty if you pass certain criteria and the sentence is mandatory.

Stupid.

15 cars and 87 arrests seems excessive to say the least . . glad the town is quiet enough that there wasn't any real crime going on.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

And the Ball State student paper has this story, with some responses. LXA is apparently temporarily suspended . . .

http://www.bsudailynews.com/vnews/di.../4070fea787cc3
Old 04-05-2004, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face What planet is this guy from??

"Lambda Chi member Sean Yau said the party benefited the scholarship fund...

"I don't appreciate them coming to our house and wrecking something for a good cause," Yau said."

You have got to be kidding... he actually said this?? A party allowing underage drinking is NOT a "good cause" no matter how worthy the charity might be.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank God

They didn't shoot anybody this time.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
"IFC adviser Rob Turning said IFC's response could be severe, because of Lambda Chi's four-week probation period before Spring Break for a similar situation." (From bsudailynews.com).

I agree that punishments should be severe, in accordance with the offense. BUT I also know how Rob is and won't be surprised if something TOO drastic happens.

I also understand that the poilice were called because of a noise violation and that they weren't 'targeting' a fraternity, but what's done is done - - and it would now only be fair to check up on the other houses. I can tell you of at least 5 (if not more) fraternity houses I drank/partied at (underage), and had they been busted, would've had the same headlines as this current situation. To me, it's fair to punish everyone or no one - - in this case Lambda Chi being splashed all over the papers when they're not the only house (by far!) doing this type of thing.

When I went to Ball State, Lambda Chi wasn't one of the houses I partied at, but I did know a few of them. They didn't seem to ever get in trouble, most of them were very upstanding guys, and I don't think I ever saw an inkling of an out of control party at the house. Goes to show how much different pledge classes/exec boards change a chapter, huh?

In a non-related hijack, this saddens me. Yes, they brought it on themselves, yes they didn't register the party (it's a wierd process, but I do remember it from when I was a student), and yes, they deserve their punishment...But BSU's greek life seems to be going down the tubes. This is the 6th or 7th house in 2-3 years that has been suspended, been on serious probation, or lost it's charter!! In fact, I was in muncie this past weekend, and driving down Riverside ("Frat Row", I suppose) is like going down a street full of empty houses. There are 3 in a row that are vacant, one across the street, etc. Something needs to be done!

[/rant]
[/hijack]

Last edited by DigitalAngel126; 04-05-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: What planet is this guy from??

Quote:
Originally posted by thetalady
"Lambda Chi member Sean Yau said the party benefited the scholarship fund...

"I don't appreciate them coming to our house and wrecking something for a good cause," Yau said."

You have got to be kidding... he actually said this?? A party allowing underage drinking is NOT a "good cause" no matter how worthy the charity might be.
thetalady, I gotta agree with ya! Plus (as both articles pointed out) the Ball State campus had been flooded with what were essentially warnings about a crackdown on underage drinking (the "Police Yourself" campaign). Having an unregistered party with underage drinking was, as far as I can tell, way beyond stupid -- from a risk management perspective it was something you'd file under A for Asking For Trouble.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb If it is all true?

Reading the article, they were investigated because they stopped some 16 year olds who said they had been partying there! Maybe they were not and maybe they were! If you were 16 and got busted, would you tell the Police where you actually had been

The Vice President of Student Govt. said she had been cited, had not been drinking and saw no underage drinkers to her knowledge. If what she said is true, I hope she sues them for false arrest and testifies.

They were called for a noise violation! Yep Okay, sounds bogus to me! That many Police Cars and People from so many jurisdictations? Yeow Right!

They had signs posted, hands stamped for over 21, checking IDs to stamp hands!

Oh, if they didnt list the party with School, their Bad!

There has been very few problems with The LXA Chapter there in the past.

If they screwed up then so be it, if it was a set up, well that is a horse of a different color!

Mabey Muncie In. had better figure out what is the real problem if there is dissention between Townies and College Students!

Colleges put a lot of money into any city.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-05-2004, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: If it is all true?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
There has been very few problems with The LXA Chapter there in the past.

If they screwed up then so be it, if it was a set up, well that is a horse of a different color!
It does sound like the police were looking for parties with alcohol to bust. So?? Lambda Chi was surely aware of the crackdown on underage drinking, from the info in the article. They had this party knowing the chances of being caught were increased!

I respectfully point out that the articles state that the same chapter was on probation earlier this year for the same violation Maybe there isn't a long history of problems with the chapter, but the trend this year sure isn't looking good!

Tom, do you have any facts on the chapter's probation in Feb/March 2004?
Old 04-05-2004, 03:35 PM

On the face of it, given the report that the mayor was on the scene, plus the number of officers from several jurisdictions, it's pretty hard to believe that LXA wasn't targeted for this bust.

It sounds like they also tried to govern their own party with signs, lists, etc. Hard to tell what kind of job they did, though.

The report that they were on probation earlier in the year for underage drinking isn't going to help, either.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Re: If it is all true?

Quote:
Reading the article, they were investigated because they stopped some 16 year olds who said they had been partying there! Maybe they were not and maybe they were! If you were 16 and got busted, would you tell the Police where you actually had been
Tom, what if, and this is well within the realm of possibilities - IF the police told these 16 year olds they would not be cited if they told them where they obtained the alcohol, then hell yes, I can see them spilling their guts - protecting their own interests.

What really galls me is that apparently the University President or the mayor (can't remember which) was with the police when they showed up for this raid. 2:00 AM. Tell me now that this wasn't a setup - maybe not for LXA specifically, but, for whoever they managed to bust first.

Last edited by LXAAlum; 04-06-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Local (Muncie) paper Editorial

The local paper, the Muncie Star Press, ran an editorial praising the crackdown and the appearance of the mayor and others, and calling for a continued concerted effort by the university and Muncie officials to combat underage drinking.

Editorial:

http://www.thestarpress.com/articles...-4354-009.html
Old 04-06-2004, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

WOW, I for one am impressed by "Leads Credence with The Mayor, Chief Of Police, and City Building Inspector in attendence"!

Slow Night In MOO-uncie for sure!

Just what paid Elected Polotician will drag his/her butt out of bed that time of night unless there is something in it for them!

Poorly handled by the Mooncie Gendarimes.

I was at the LXA in Pittsburg, Ks. one nigh and the ASA were having a Band in the back of the house. I went over for a short and came back across the street to the LXA House. God every Cop and Sheriff, along with the Campus police showed up!

I stood and talked with an Officer with the Campus PD about it drinking a beer. Being an Ex-PD officer which I told him we had an interesting conversation. Noise Call, OK it was, but when the Police got there and explained the situation, the party was over and the people left. No one got rowdy or busted!

The difference is in using good judgement and not trying to be We are The Law!

What if Ball State ws there and no body attened College There! OOPS, there goes the econimie of MOOncie, Ind. All of the Bars, Resturants, Movie Theaters, Clothing Stores would close up, Good By Mooncie!

Is Ball State That Great. What are they known for!

No, just because it is LXA, I am not condoneing this, but to many times this type of things get over blown and Notorized! No Matter What Greek Organization it is!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-07-2004, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
Quote:
Is Ball State That Great. What are they known for!
1) Partying (until 2-3 years ago when campus 'went dry' )
2) David Letterman.

There you have it, BSU claims to fame.

Really though, the nursing program isn't bad, and from what I understand the Teacher's College is one of the top in the country. Not real great at sports, nothing huge to speak of.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, as an alum of Ball State, I can speak about some of the positives of the university: its architecture school is well regarded, it has a top 5 ranked entrepreneurship program in the school of business. It was a top "Playboy Party School" fifteen years ago, but the decline from those dizzying heights began over a decade ago (I go back for homecoming and its like a different planet!) We used to have a great basketball team (3 NCAA Sweet Sixteen, one Elite Eight), but that was over a decade ago.

What really started this off this year was the fatal shooting of an intoxicated student (three times in the chest, once in the head) by a rookie University Police officer who hadn't been to the academy yet, wasn't allowed to carry mace because he hadn't received training, but was authorized to use a gun. This was followed up by the murder of a student by three local youths who attended an off campus party and asked him for a ride home. The student gave them a ride, and they murdered him for $2.00. The city and the university are putting all of the blame for both of these incidents on the alcohol/party scene at the university. Funny how even though they have been clamping down hard at BSU this stuff is happening now. We didn't seem to have nearly as many problems back in the "bad (Bad students! Bad!)
old days."