GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,632
0 members and 1,632 guests
No Members online

Old 08-12-2004, 06:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Becoming an Advisor

I am sure there is a thread on this but I am too tired to look so sorry if it is a repeat. Anyways, I have basically just voiced my interest in becoming an Advisor for one of our undergrad chapters. I am interested in learning what some of the biggest challenges are you have all faced in your roles as an Advisor (or if you are an undergrad, working with an Advisor). Even though we are in different GLO's, I am sure the "problems" are often the same across the board. I know my biggest concern is working with a chapter that may bring major risk management issues to my attention and how to deal with it. Thanks Oh, if you don't feel comfortable writing about your experience so publicly, please feel free to PM me and I will keep everything confidential. ~Allison
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I'm the financial advisor on the advisory board for my chapter. I'm not going to air our chapter's problems in public. Suffice to say that we have had problems, they are easily correctable and they either are being or have been worked on.

I hope I was specific enough
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-12-2004, 09:29 AM

I don't see any problem leaving this thread here because there are some Risk Management issues -- mostly involving liability insurance coverage for advisors.

I would suggest, if you haven't already done so, that the Alumni Volunteers area (not sure of the exact name of the forum) might get more response.

Back to the insurance, I can only speak for Delt, but the Fraternity does cover each alumni volunteer with liability insurance. However, I believe it is only $1 Million worth. That seems like a lot, until someone sues for $1.5 Million.

It wouldn't hurt to have some coverage yourself to augment the GLO's policy.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I don't see any problem leaving this thread here because there are some Risk Management issues -- mostly involving liability insurance coverage for advisors.

I would suggest, if you haven't already done so, that the Alumni Volunteers area (not sure of the exact name of the forum) might get more response.

Back to the insurance, I can only speak for Delt, but the Fraternity does cover each alumni volunteer with liability insurance. However, I believe it is only $1 Million worth. That seems like a lot, until someone sues for $1.5 Million.

It wouldn't hurt to have some coverage yourself to augment the GLO's policy.
During the phone interview, this was touched upon. It's never happened in our organization but the sister who interviewed me said that there could always be a situation where a parent tries to go after an Advisor if something happens to their child. She mentioned this would probably be an extreme circumstance, such as if someone was killed during a hazing incident, where the family is looking to place blame on everyone, not only the individuals involved. She said in that case the organizations lawyers would be there immediately to get involved. I am hoping that nothing like this would ever happen but as you stated, it always helps to be prepared. What would be the insurance coverage for myself you mentioned? I am sure it will go over stuff like this in the Advisor manual I will be receiving.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:06 PM

I fully agree with the sister you talked to on the phone.

If you have an insurance agent (like one you use for car or home insurance), check with her/him. Tell them the circumstances and ask if there is a reasonably priced personal liability policy that would fit.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Delt Alum. What are some situations (you don't have to name the org) that you (or anyone) may have heard of where the Advisor was made liable? I can understand the need to find blame in an extreme situation, but overall, I feel that individuals are responsible for their own actions. From a Social Work perspective, we document everything to protect ourselves and if a client were to present harm to themselves or others, we would report it/refer them to appropriate services. I just have difficulty accepting how if some undergrads do this, an Advisor could be held personally responsible. I mean, I understand if something dangerous is known by the Advisor and withheld but otherwise, I don't see how the individual Advisor would be held liable. I would also venture to guess that due to undergrads worrying about losing their charter, they are not going to often make dangerous situations known to the Advisor (which is unfortunate because this is often why things get out of hand) when more often then not, the chapter will probably not lose their charter.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:50 PM

There have been a number of instances mentioned in this forum. Sorry I don't have time to look for them or I would. You might just do a quick check on any thread where there is a lawsuit below.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapter needs you

Back when Bill Muse (he eventually became pres. of Auburn Univ.)
was a doctoral student, his disertation was "What makes a chapter
good?"

As part of his efforts, he was a TKE traveling field rep for a year.

His conclusion, and it was widely disseminated at the time,
was that the factor most closely related to chapter success was
an effective and experienced chapter advisor.

In my years of observation, it's definitely true in almost every case.

You can make a great contribution to our young brothers and
sisters by being an advisor.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:44 AM

Concur.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Challenges of being an adviser (from my experience)

* Sometimes your expectations can be too high. A lot of maturing goes on after you leave college. It is easy to forget that the average 19 year old's brain is still developing and sometimes can't process the myriad responsibilities of leadership: deadlines, time management, making good choices, not playing favorites in the chapter or aiming for the "popular" vote, forgetting to check in weekly with an adviser, procrastination, risk management issues.... and generally acting like a 19 year old. It's ok to have expectations, but remember the age level you are dealing with and sometimes the role of an adviser is to remind gently and allow them to make mistakes.

* Being out of the loop. Not all chapter leaders are diligent about checking in with advisers. This is especially true when there has been an "incident" in the chapter. They want to cover it up, because they fear punishment. Rather than come down too "parental" on them, reward honesty and openess and lead by example.

* Getting too close. It's fine to be friendly, but you can't be their friends. As an adviser you must keep it professional and you must always remember that you are there to serve as a role model. Even if you were the poster child for misbehavior as a collegian, you must not egg the current collegians on with stories of your wild youth or "back before it was considered hazing, we did abc...."

* Liabilities like hazing and risk management. One way to nip these is to encourage your chapter officers to engage the chapter in open discussions and workshops. Talking about chapter traditions and what is safe/what isn't safe can help clarify what's ok to do.

* Your chapter officer needs to be in communication with you. You shouldn't be the one chasing them down. If your advisee repeatedly misses meetings with her adviser, or is not cc'ing you on her decisions and duties, she should be reprimanded by the standards committee and reminded of her obligations as set forth in the national officer job descriptions (In ADPi at least, there are certain officers who must check in with their advisers on a weekly basis).

* You're not there to lead the chapter. You are there to advise the officers. Don't do the job for them. You can plant ideas, but let the officers run with them, and if you conceive it cleverly enough, plant the seed so the officers come up with the idea "on their own" with your encouragment.

* Reward positive behavior, learn with them when you make mistakes, reprimand with authority and grace when something really wrong happens and communicate with the chapter. Make sure the new members know who you are and have your contact information, along with the rest of the chapter. In some chapter situations, when the leadership is corrupt, members don't feel comfortable following "the chain of command" and in those cases do need to inform an adviser if a chapter leader is out of line or a chapter situation is brewing.

* Meet regularly with other advisers and alumnae officers to vent frustrations, brainstorm and support one another.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Challenges of being an adviser (from my experience)

* Sometimes your expectations can be too high. A lot of maturing goes on after you leave college. It is easy to forget that the average 19 year old's brain is still developing and sometimes can't process the myriad responsibilities of leadership: deadlines, time management, making good choices, not playing favorites in the chapter or aiming for the "popular" vote, forgetting to check in weekly with an adviser, procrastination, risk management issues.... and generally acting like a 19 year old. It's ok to have expectations, but remember the age level you are dealing with and sometimes the role of an adviser is to remind gently and allow them to make mistakes.

* Being out of the loop. Not all chapter leaders are diligent about checking in with advisers. This is especially true when there has been an "incident" in the chapter. They want to cover it up, because they fear punishment. Rather than come down too "parental" on them, reward honesty and openess and lead by example.

* Getting too close. It's fine to be friendly, but you can't be their friends. As an adviser you must keep it professional and you must always remember that you are there to serve as a role model. Even if you were the poster child for misbehavior as a collegian, you must not egg the current collegians on with stories of your wild youth or "back before it was considered hazing, we did abc...."

* Liabilities like hazing and risk management. One way to nip these is to encourage your chapter officers to engage the chapter in open discussions and workshops. Talking about chapter traditions and what is safe/what isn't safe can help clarify what's ok to do.

* Your chapter officer needs to be in communication with you. You shouldn't be the one chasing them down. If your advisee repeatedly misses meetings with her adviser, or is not cc'ing you on her decisions and duties, she should be reprimanded by the standards committee and reminded of her obligations as set forth in the national officer job descriptions (In ADPi at least, there are certain officers who must check in with their advisers on a weekly basis).

* You're not there to lead the chapter. You are there to advise the officers. Don't do the job for them. You can plant ideas, but let the officers run with them, and if you conceive it cleverly enough, plant the seed so the officers come up with the idea "on their own" with your encouragment.

* Reward positive behavior, learn with them when you make mistakes, reprimand with authority and grace when something really wrong happens and communicate with the chapter. Make sure the new members know who you are and have your contact information, along with the rest of the chapter. In some chapter situations, when the leadership is corrupt, members don't feel comfortable following "the chain of command" and in those cases do need to inform an adviser if a chapter leader is out of line or a chapter situation is brewing.

* Meet regularly with other advisers and alumnae officers to vent frustrations, brainstorm and support one another.
Thank you ADPIUCF!!!!!! This was more of what I was looking for. It is good to know about the risks and liabilities of being an Advisor, but I am more concerned with the actual day to day challenges. Thanks again, you've been very helpful!!!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
You might want to PM some of the Deephers on GC like shadokat for more advice specific to DPhiE.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
* Getting too close. It's fine to be friendly, but you can't be their friends. As an adviser you must keep it professional and you must always remember that you are there to serve as a role model. Even if you were the poster child for misbehavior as a collegian, you must not egg the current collegians on with stories of your wild youth or "back before it was considered hazing, we did abc...."*

You're not there to lead the chapter. You are there to advise the officers. Don't do the job for them. You can plant ideas, but let the officers run with them, and if you conceive it cleverly enough, plant the seed so the officers come up with the idea "on their own" with your encouragment.
The two hardest things to deal with in my opinion.

It's not unlike becoming a manager for the first time. You're not "one of the guys" anymore.

To add one thought, if you are advising your old chapter, don't compare new officers and other things to the "way they were when you were there." Things change. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. But the do change, and nothing is more annoying for current undergraduates (what we call the collegians) than being compared to the past -- kind of like dealing with your parents when they said, "When I was your age..."
Old 08-14-2004, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

DeltAlum is so right.

I have seen it many times when Alum Brothers including myself have said, this is how we did it. It is so easy to do especially for someone who is a new advisor at their own Chapter.

The Actives get upset and dont feel like they want any advice. It happens and then a rift happens between the Active Chapter and The Alums.

Then, when the Active Chapter runs into problems, they cannot get any help as The Alums have become alienated, feelings hurt and just dont care.

I have gone through that, but I care to much not to try and work with with the many new young men who come to LXA not to be a part of it.

Things have changed so much from when I was in school, and Risk Management is without a doubt the Biggest. If it strikes one Greek Organization, it stikes all of us.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Banned

Just wanted to throw something out there. I don't think that this is something where it is all business. As an advisor one must remember that they are there to...advise. They are not there to run the show or to throw around punishments or anything.

They are there to support the chapter. There are still bonds of loyalty there and while you aren't supposed to get down and party it up with them, I think it would be wise to really understand that not everything is black and white. Sometimes you do have to consider that and all advisors may not - some may flip out when they see a beer or joking or whatnot.

I guess I had the option of being an advisor but I really needed a break for a while and my ego might have been snubbed if my chapter started doing things differently than I would have (which they would and should of course).

-Rudey