GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,076
3 members and 1,073 guests
John, PrettyBoy

Old 02-27-2003, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

LOL!!! I just told a KD the news. She said, "Oh, KD HAS to get the older one. I want them for us. I'm leaving to see what I can do now!"

But the younger one is only slightly smaller and has fantastic women too. Also, there are bunches of unaffiliated women who will want to pledge now that nationals are coming--it's the big topic of conversation on campus!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-27-2003, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

how great!!! carnation, since they invited 4 sororities to present are they hoping to add a third chapter? i know you had mentioned before that there might be enough interest to start a 3rd group from the ground up. or are they just waiting to see how presentations go?

Last edited by pinkyphimu; 02-27-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

There was a third sorority here until last year.They were old (about 90 years) and up until a few years ago, powerful. I'm not sure what zapped them but I think it was taking the wrong people for a couple of rushes--then, of course, they had a hard time taking in members.

Because of the past hazing, there are also a lot of sophs, juniors, and seniors who never pledged. The hazing is over with forever but these women refused to join while it was going on--more power to them! I think that many would consider Greek life now. These include women who I'd be proud to put my pin on...sometimes I look out at my classes and think, "Now that one would really be an outstanding Greek...that other one would make a great president...etc."

So yes, I think that there's definitely room for a third sorority that's as big as the other 2. I'll bet that when the nationals come, the excitement will spur interest in colonizing from the ground up!
Old 02-28-2003, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

You sound so excited! I'm so happy for your campus! Good Luck with Presentations!
Old 02-28-2003, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!! This is wonderful news!

I have already posted on carnation's earlier thread the story of Valpo's seven sororities. Things have definitely changed for the better. Women are joining now that would not even considered it due to previous hazing during pledging. The change isn't easy. but it can happen. Each chapter will have its moments as will the greek advisor. Five years later, we are such a strong Greek commmunity. Valpo and John Caroll prove that smaller, religiously-affiliated schools can transition from local to inter/national successfully.
Best of luck with the process! KD seems to be getting quite good at transitions of this type so I am not surprised to see them on the list. Each of the organizations presenting has so much to offer. I have met many women, collegians and alums, from each group, and I have so much respect for them. Have fun!!

ValpoKD
Old 03-07-2003, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

any news on when presentations are going to be?
Old 03-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm told at the end of the month. A sorority member said that there will be a meeting next week regarding whether the present sororities will be assumed by 2 nationals or the nationals will start from scratch and the locals will be ended. No clue on which will happen...up to now, people always said that each local would convert to a national.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Woohoo! There are signs all over campus inviting not only the members of the local sororities but also unaffiliated women to the national presentations at the end of the month. Still no clue on how they're going to form--whether 2 groups will assimilate 2 locals and a third will form independently--or the locals will dissolve and all-new groups will form.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Who gets to decide if they'll be taken as groups or individuals? I'm just kinda curious but this all sounds so exciting!
Tau Love
Lil E
Old 03-12-2003, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Wish I could see all of that happening - please keep us updated. GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Bump, cuz I'm curious as to how things are going?? When are/were presentations? Good turnout/signup???
Old 03-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't talked to the Student Life Director since we got back but somewhere I heard that the presentations are supposed to start in a week. Seems like Gamma Phi's is supposed to be April 12-13 and I don't know about the rest.

Lil E, it seems like the nationals would decide about the group thing? Although with the local numbers being at 100+ and 70+, maybe the nationals would have to be unhappy with several of the members to turn down the whole group and want to pick and choose.Does anyone know how this is usually done? Personally, I can only think of one local member I wouldn't want--the mean one who used to cleat my kids in softball. Otherwise, they're all great!

Maybe everything will be finalized before we leave for the summer!
Old 03-24-2003, 10:00 PM

Pros and Cons to both.

If they break up the groups there could be resentment among sisters. Also there could be paranoia of sharing their locals secrets while bonding with thier new sisters.

But if they don't break up the chapters, with the locals history of hazing, it could be hard to break their negative traditions.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Breaking news!

Kappa Delta presents tomorrow afternoon!

Phi Mu presents Thursday afternoon!

Old 03-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to try so hard to go, although I have to pick up my oldest son at that time and deposit the baby somewhere too. I'd like to get the other professors who are national Greeks to come wearing their pins, though none of us belong to the groups who are presenting. Well, the dean claims to be a KD but when a KD alum gave her the handshake or challenge or whatever, she said that the dean looked at her, puzzled. LOL!! I hope the dean isn't a perp!