GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,262
0 members and 1,262 guests
No Members online

Old 10-19-2009, 06:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
They managed to sling around every rush/standards term there is - but I feel like they got a surprising amount of them (somewhat) right. I feel like the two biggest inaccuracies that could potentially confuse PNMs is how they handled what should have been a COB thing (with them "accepting her as a late rush") and the fact that their first and only ceremony seemed to be initiation.
The ceremony part confused me and the COB was off, but I have to agree. They did seem to get a lot of things right.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I like the "you know your people and you're our people."
Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongreek View Post
Maybe this took place at eagesbaby's school? If I remember that disaster correctly they were allowed to have alcohol
YES. I believe they were mocktails and mockeritas specifically.

On a random note: Why are dorms on TV shows and in movies always like 3432422 times bigger than they are in real life.

When I was younger, there was no one in the world who could tell me that my dorm wasn't going to be the size of the ones on Boy Meets World/Felicity/etc.

And have you seen the dorm rooms on the Target/WalMart "back to school" commercials? I wonder if peeps actually think that their room is going to be big enough for a queen sized bed.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I watched it and had mixed feelings. They managed to sling around every rush/standards term there is - but I feel like they got a surprising amount of them (somewhat) right. I feel like the two biggest inaccuracies that could potentially confuse PNMs is how they handled what should have been a COB thing (with them "accepting her as a late rush") and the fact that their first and only ceremony seemed to be initiation.
Confused PNMs from a Lifetime movie should be taken as seriously as confused BGLO aspirants from "School Daze" and "Stomp the Yard."

Not.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

On a random note: Why are dorms on TV shows and in movies always like 3432422 times bigger than they are in real life.

When I was younger, there was no one in the world who could tell me that my dorm wasn't going to be the size of the ones on Boy Meets World/Felicity/etc.

And have you seen the dorm rooms on the Target/WalMart "back to school" commercials? I wonder if peeps actually think that their room is going to be big enough for a queen sized bed.
Actually, my dorm room didn't look all that small in comparison to what's portrayed on TV/movies.

Sure, we only had room for twin sized beds, but we also had room for a couch. And we got very creative with making space where space could be made.

Many of my friends from HS were jealous of how large my dorm room was.

Now, the bedrooms in the on-campus apartments were another story!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Actually, my dorm room didn't look all that small in comparison to what's portrayed on TV/movies.

Sure, we only had room for twin sized beds, but we also had room for a couch. And we got very creative with making space where space could be made.

Many of my friends from HS were jealous of how large my dorm room was.

Now, the bedrooms in the on-campus apartments were another story!
It may be because I had a single every year when I lived on campus. Since it was a single, my room was always really small. I made up for it by having my own bathroom though. I gladly traded a few square feet to avoid the "community bathroom" experience.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Zoey 101 was filmed at Pepperdine, and they used the lounge in one of my old dorms as Zoey's dorm room. I suppose they need to do that in order to fit the camera equipment and everything.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Something that bugged me about the movie (beyond the jello shot prefs and blindfolds) was their pronunciation of Xi. They kept saying "z-eye". I've heard "z-ee" most often and the occasional "k-z-ee", but never "z-eye". Is this just an alternate pronunciation I haven't heard, or were they totally off? Would love it if someone could clear that one up for me.

But overall, yeah- not a bad movie. I wish the recruitment scenes and "late bid" info was ever so slightly more accurate, but it was entertaining and not a bad way to spend an early Sunday morning after I took my husband to the airport before the crack of dawn!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Something that bugged me about the movie (beyond the jello shot prefs and blindfolds) was their pronunciation of Xi. They kept saying "z-eye". I've heard "z-ee" most often and the occasional "k-z-ee", but never "z-eye". Is this just an alternate pronunciation I haven't heard, or were they totally off? Would love it if someone could clear that one up for me.

But overall, yeah- not a bad movie. I wish the recruitment scenes and "late bid" info was ever so slightly more accurate, but it was entertaining and not a bad way to spend an early Sunday morning after I took my husband to the airport before the crack of dawn!
Zeye is the pronounciation I have heard the most actually. I occasionally hear zee, but never the Kzee.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
"KSee" is the Greek pronunciation. "Zee" is the anglicized pronunciation. "Z-eye" is the Americanized pronunciation (just like "p-eye" (P), "f-eye" (F), 'k-eye" (C) or "s-eye" (Y)). Personally, I've always heard "z-eye" except from the groups that actually have the letter in their names (like Alpha Xi Delta).
Old 10-19-2009, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I watched it and mostly liked it. I've hated most other sorority movies I've seen, so that's really saying something! I posted on my FB status that I was watching it and made some comment like, "Yeah, this is totally how recruitment goes...NOT!"

Weird about Katie being the only legacy and only having one ceremony. Ohhh many of those girls were so unpanhellenic!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

You have to remember though, a lot of none greeks think of initiation when they think about ritual if they do at all.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

When I learned the Greek alphabet, I learned it as "zee"- we didn't have any groups with Xi in their names on my campus, so that was pretty much my only introduction. I have heard one reference to using "kzee", a Kappa chapter that has Xi in its name and always pronounces the chapter name as such.

Is "zeye" a regional thing perhaps? Kind of like pronouncing Italian as "it-alian" vs. "eye-talian"? I was completely thrown off when I heard some people say that in college (in the midwest), I had no idea anyone said that (had never heard it in the northwest).... maybe it's like that?

For Phi, I have heard both. Like Pheye Delta Theta and Alpha Phee. I think someone told me that it can change when it's at the end of the group? Or maybe they were just making that up and it's arbitrary

Didn't mean to turn this into a pronounciation thread, but I am quite curious. I will at least remove Xi from my list of "WTF??" items in the movie since some of you have heard it frequently!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's "ee" after a vowel and "eye" after a consonant. That's what I was told when I asked. But then I don't really know what to do about Alpha Phi Delta, for instance, because I've always heard it pronounced "pheye," but it comes after a vowel.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbubbles View Post
I think it's "ee" after a vowel and "eye" after a consonant. That's what I was told when I asked. But then I don't really know what to do about Alpha Phi Delta, for instance, because I've always heard it pronounced "pheye," but it comes after a vowel.
That's a Greek Urban Legend. I did a ridiculously long response but for some reason it disappeared. Everyone is probably better off.

I'll just refer to this old post of mine.

Quote:
Is "zeye" a regional thing perhaps? Kind of like pronouncing Italian as "it-alian" vs. "eye-talian"? I was completely thrown off when I heard some people say that in college (in the midwest), I had no idea anyone said that (had never heard it in the northwest).... maybe it's like that?
I wouldn't consider it a regional thing. The pledge manual for Theta Xi Fraternity gives zzEYE as the pronunciation. So do the websites of lots of Greek Life offices. (My fraternity's manual does as well, FWIW.)

It's a matter of preference. Alpha Xi Delta prefers zee. Theta Xi apparently prefers zeye. Alpha Phi prefers fee, while almost all other orgs that use F prefer fie.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like to mention I noticed the same thing with Upsilon. Psi U learns to pronounce it Yoop-Si-Lon while most greeks I have met pronounce it Up-Si-Lon