GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,334
0 members and 1,334 guests
No Members online

Old 10-20-2009, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Blood View Post
The whole point of my "extremely pointless post" was to address the second part of the OP. She wanted to know if anyone could help her choose who to rush with. That's really a personal decision that shouldn't be swayed by 100 people telling her to join a specific sorority because only she knows who she fits in with.
Have you read the posts here? Seriously? I've never seen anyone on greekchat refer a PNM to a specific organization. That's not how things are done here.

Also, NPC recruitment is nothing like fraternity recruitment. Bringing up fraternity recruitment in a sorority recruitment thread is like bringing apples to an orange party. Don't do it.

Any male that takes a thread on sorority recruitment and applies it to his own fraternity rush situation deserves not to get a bid.

My point is, stay in your lane.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-20-2009, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Okay, the only advice I gave was that she should try to choose an org that suits her. How is that fraternity specific advice? Male or female, why would anyone choose an org that they don't fit into?
NPC sorority candidates don't get to just "choose" where they want to go. The selection process is mutual. That's why posters here encourage PNMs to keep an open mind when going through recruitment.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Also, NPC recruitment is nothing like fraternity recruitment. Bringing up fraternity recruitment in a sorority recruitment thread is like bringing apples to an orange party. Don't do it.
iChuckled.

Quote:
Any male that takes a thread on sorority recruitment and applies it to his own fraternity rush situation deserves not to get a bid.

My point is, stay in your lane.
Yes, ma'am.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Blue_Blood Send a message via AIM to Blue_Blood Send a message via MSN to Blue_Blood
Okay, I was speaking from personal experience with rush. Like violetpretty said, GLO may be different from campus to campus. At my campus, people have freewill and are allowed to choose which org they want to concentrate on. Whether they get a bid from that org is completely up to the org, but the potential still gets the right to seek membership with an org that suits them.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Okay, I was speaking from personal experience with rush. Like violetpretty said, GLO may be different from campus to campus. At my campus, people have freewill and are allowed to choose which org they want to concentrate on. Whether they get a bid from that org is completely up to the org, but the potential still gets the right to seek membership with an org that suits them.
Not if it's an NPC. Even on your campus.

I don't know why you're trying to debate this.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Because you only have one NPC organization on your campus, recruitment is done differently. If there are enough organizations on campus for it to be mutually beneficial for sororities to do so, they (often) use some sort of coordinated recruitment process. If it's COR then yes, you can just choose one organization of interest. If it's partially structured or formal recruitment, PNMs often do not have a choice in which houses to start with because they go to all of them, and often times the way they "avoid" going to certain houses, even later, is by dropping completely. It's called mutual selection.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Because you only have one NPC organization on your campus, recruitment is done differently. If there are enough organizations on campus for it to be mutually beneficial for sororities to do so, they (often) use some sort of coordinated recruitment process. If it's COR then yes, you can just choose one organization of interest. If it's partially structured or formal recruitment, PNMs often do not have a choice in which houses to start with because they go to all of them, and often times the way they "avoid" going to certain houses, even later, is by dropping completely. It's called mutual selection.
I think this would be a prime opportunity to throw out the "Bitches need to maximize their options" line.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Blue_Blood Send a message via AIM to Blue_Blood Send a message via MSN to Blue_Blood
What if there's only one NPC on campus? There's 2 sororities on my campus. One is NPC, the other is not. Possibly, this is why things run the way they do on my campus? I'm not trying to debate who's right and who's wrong. It's obvious that I am wrong. I am simply trying to understand how things work at bigger universities.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What if there's only one NPC on campus? There's 2 sororities on my campus. One is NPC, the other is not. Possibly, this is why things run the way they do on my campus? I'm not trying to debate who's right and who's wrong. It's obvious that I am wrong. I am simply trying to understand how things work at bigger universities.
So go read these forums and figure it out!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I think this would be a prime opportunity to throw out the "Bitches need to maximize their options" line.
I only wish I had thought of that line.

Quote:
I already answered this:

Quote:
I mean differently than the majority of other campuses. If there's only one NPC sorority on campus (I know you have another sorority, but because it's not an NPC it's likely that they recruit differently), then there's no point in having formal or partially structured recruitment. Meaning it's COR. Meaning it's almost nothing like what goes on on many many other campuses.

Your advice does not apply everywhere. In fact, if we're talking NPC here, it doesn't apply even most places.

STAY. IN. YOUR LANE.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
So go read these forums and figure it out!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My school was similar but we had 4 total with 2 of them being NPC. My school is also wierd in only having one Greek Council. But I was as confused as you in the beginning. Read some of the stickies in the Sorority recruitment forum and you should start to get a decent idea.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in the middle of typing my last post when you answered it. I apologize.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was in the middle of typing my last post when you answered it. I apologize.
Get a feel for the boards before getting all gung-ho about responding and you should do fine.

Welcome to GC.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I already answered this:
I was in the middle of typing my last post when you posted your answer to it. I apologize for being slow. I've been initiated for awhile now, but I have been gone with the military for much of it so I'm a new in the way things work at bigger campuses.