GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,660
3 members and 1,657 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma, speedsters

Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Pin on eBay

I was looking on ebay and saw this pin advertised:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-14kGOLD-...QQcmdZViewItem

It says it's "Alpha Phi Omega" but looking at the shaft of the key, I see KKG big time. I know someone would like to get this off eBay , I know my daughter's sorority keeps a lookout for their pins on eBay in order to return to the original owner, if stolen, or to offer members as a replacement badge. This one is dated 1930 and could even be part of any museum you may have. It's beautiful and shouldn't be on eBay!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Key

It is a Kappa Key ~ and the sorority chapter is the other insignia. The description says that it has "Betsy Roberts, 2-22-30" on the back.
How hard would it be to track down the person who should own this? The bidding is currently around $70.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Key

This is really 'not ok'...Here is another key for sale on ebay and th reasoning is just plain wrong...Sorry to crash (I am an Alpha Phi), but I am passionate about 'our' pins and had to pass it along to you all...Please read her reasoning for selling her pin...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kappa-Kappa-Gamm...QQcmdZViewItem

Hope someone can buy it or talk her out of it...

Maharet
Old 09-01-2008, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I just don't understand why someone would sell her pin??? Quite frankly it's just not worth it for me to have something like that in someone else's hands...

ETA: In the past, have genuine sapphires been available to be put on badges? According to Herff Jones, all sapphires are lab created/synthetic.

Last edited by FlaGirl07; 09-01-2008 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I seriously doubt there were ever REAL sapphires on the pins.

That listing just makes me mad.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I recently won a badge off eBay, and I think the seller is a Kappa. She sent it in a cute decorated box with KKG on it. Her first and last initials were on the side. Funny thing is that her initials are EK, so I will probably give it to the USC chapter.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Ha! The first pin is labeled Alpha Phi Omega because they read the Alpha Omega Omicron wrong. Oh and Beta Beta chapter is St Lawrence.

And OH THE HORROR! Why would you intentionally sell your own badge? Omg!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand why people COLLECT all the fraternity and sorority badges either. They have no significance to independents or even to members of other chapters. I did buy a Tri Delta badge (at a FLEA MARKET, OMG) as a birthday present for my friend who had hers stolen.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought Kappa had someone who kept an eye on websites like Ebay for Kappa "memorabilia". I know I saw a Kappa family weekend t-shirt on Ebay a year back, and I was so mad. The badges part made me irritated. I almost considered buying my own on Ebay, but reconsidered.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlkeyalumna View Post
I thought Kappa had someone who kept an eye on websites like Ebay for Kappa "memorabilia". I know I saw a Kappa family weekend t-shirt on Ebay a year back, and I was so mad. The badges part made me irritated. I almost considered buying my own on Ebay, but reconsidered.
There is a group called the Keepers of the Key who watch out for badges on eBay and other places. PM me if you'd like more information.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedRover
I have a friend who makes jewelry. He seeks out auctions and flea markets and garage sales for interesting items that could be turned into rings, cuff links, brooches, etc. Fraternity and sorority memorabilia is some of his favorite materials to work with.

He said often spouses and offspring don't care about the pins and like the fact that some one is willing to pay good money for them.

He said he knows of a woman who also uses fraternity and sorority pins in her artwork. He said she takes a personal glee in using such items. Apparently, she was passed over during rush many years ago.

To each his/her own
Old 09-01-2009, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Pins and Alpha Phi Omega...

I've corrected several people who've labeled the keys with Alpha Omega Omicron as Alpha Phi Omega. I haven't been sure which group it is though. From what's been said, I presume the key with Alpha Omega Omicron is KKG?

Also, not all Greek Letter Organizations react the same. I'm a member of the National Alpha Phi Omega History and Archives committee and while I'd want the Fraternity to have examples of all of versions of the pin that we've had, I've never met anyone in APO as devoted to purchasing them as some NPC and NPHC sorority sisters.

Both the pledge pin and the brotherhood pin for Alpha Phi Omega are $5 (and have been at approximately equivalent prices relative to inflation since WWII). These pins are made of brass (so anyone who tries to sell the standard brotherhood pins as 10k gold is full of it. We do have jewelry that is more ornate versions of the pin that are significantly more expensive (up to $200) though. (Examples for both are visible in store on the APO website, but proof of membership is required for purchase from the website.)
Old 09-02-2009, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I've corrected several people who've labeled the keys with Alpha Omega Omicron as Alpha Phi Omega. I haven't been sure which group it is though. From what's been said, I presume the key with Alpha Omega Omicron is KKG?
The Kappa badge has KKG on the stem of the key and AWO on the ward:

Old 09-02-2009, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
The Kappa badge has KKG on the stem of the key and AWO on the ward:

I presume the reason for AWO is private to the sorority, but given this information, I will specifically indicate in messages to sellers mistakenly label things like this Alpha Phi Omega that anything with a key and Alpha Omega Omicron on it is Kappa Kappa Gamma related.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I presume the reason for AWO is private to the sorority
It is