GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,670
1 members and 1,669 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 12-09-2003, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

rushing a group and re-rushing another

I rushed Chi Omega at my college back in September. I didn't get a bid, I just went to a few open rush events and hung out. Well, I realized they weren't for me and I think it was mutual because I didn't get an invitation to join. No big deal. Well, I am really interested in Alpha Chi Omega, and I hung out with a few of the sisters. They told me to come out to the house next semester and hang out, then go to an open rush party. I went to this school a few years ago, took time off and came back, but here is the thing- I pledged AXO back then and depledged because i was going to transfer and was having some issues that I didnt want to bring into the sorority. I really like AXO and always have and I want to join, but will the XO's think that is weird that I went from one group to the next and should I tell the AXO's that I had pledged them once before?None of the same sisters are there (i go to a small school and most pledge their 3rd year). I didn't want to be rude to the XO's and just stop going to their events, but then again, I never got a bid.I wasn't sure how I felt about AXO at the beginning and was friends with a few XO's that is why I checked them out. What should I do? I really want to go greek next term, and I dont know how groups talk within one another. So bottom line, should I tell the AXO's that I was once a pledge (i pledged for like 2 weeks and quit early on and it wasn't on bad terms). And should I tell them that I was thinking of joining XO but didn't because it was not a mutual fit? Help!
Old 12-09-2003, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

definitely tell them that you were there before! if they find out later on, they'll think you were lying to them. just explain the circumstances- it's a totally different group of girls now. also, at my school every year there are a couple of people who used to pledge one chapter but then pledge another- there's no shame in that, really. they thought it was what they wanted, found out that it wasn't, and got out before it was too late to join a different group. now, if you had pledged all other sororities besides axo, it'd be a different story! if it is a mutual fit between you and axo, they will probably be proud to have 'stolen' you from another chapter- you were looking at both, but chose them. that's a good feeling!

however, you have no reason to tell the axo's that you were thinking about xo. if it's a really small school [like mine], chances are they'll already know- if they don't, they need to. it's none of their business. if you want to tell them at some point, go for it- but don't feel obligated. when i joined, i didn't tell people that it wasn't my first choice! but after a couple of months when i got to know my pledge class, we chatted about that kind of thing- some people know that in my sorority, others don't. but now, it doesn't matter- i'm happy where i am, much happier than i would've been otherwise!!