GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,147
1 members and 1,146 guests
Low D Flat

Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 PM

Spotted some "skater" style dresses (tank + flared short skirt) at H&M and Target today.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Confused

I'm confused by the white dress. Several people at my daughters school said she won't need one, she just needs a white "slip". Is this just certain sororities? Would it be best to be prepared and have a simple white dress? Also I noticed the shoe comment a few posts back - does she need closed toe white shoes?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnmmom View Post
I'm confused by the white dress. Several people at my daughters school said she won't need one, she just needs a white "slip". Is this just certain sororities? Would it be best to be prepared and have a simple white dress? Also I noticed the shoe comment a few posts back - does she need closed toe white shoes?
Well, it is going to vary by school - but at several of the southern schools or at schools with really big chapter totals - girls will need a white dress at some point either for rituals or for recruitment. They are a lot easier to find in summer than in October or November when initiations usually occur, so a lot of people like to take one just in case. Might as well find one you like. Most of the recommendations I have seen also include no strapless dresses or wear a white shrug or a sweater if you choose a dress with no sleeves.

Some more conservative groups also prefer the close toed shoes - or again in winter, you wouldn't want to be wearing black shoes and a white dress nor would you want to be wearing sandals.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 PM

It'll vary chapter to chapter for sure. Your daughter may want to peruse the chapter websites for any photos of the girls in white to gauge the requirements.

There are groups that don't wear white at all. Even with that, I'd recommend picking up a white dress now, if you find one. 1) Last minute scramble is no fun and you may end up with something that's "good enough" but she doesn't like. 2) If she doesn't need it for sorority functions she can loan it out or give it away.

My sorority wears white for pinning and initiation. Chapters can set their own requirements but nationally the rule is "WHITE dress, WHITE shoes", no other details. These are the rules enforced at Convention. But, I've seen chapters that dictate the length, the sleeve length, neck line, etc. Even chapters where everyone had the same custom dress.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

forever 21 is having a white dress sale

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Cat...mo-dress-white

Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnmmom View Post
Not only does the requirement to wear white vary by organization, but note that the conservatism of the white varies as well. In some groups, a strapless white minidress with a gold zipper up the back might be fine. But in other groups -- including my own -- the requirement is for a conservative uninterrupted white (no colored buttons or zippers or trims or belts) skirted ensemble with sleeves. I can wear a white sweater and skirt, but not a spaghetti-strap dress (and a cap sleeve is pushing it). Another group might not be okay with a sweater and skirt and might require a dress.

But everyone is likely to be fine with a conservative all-white dress.

It would be wise to err on the side of finding something that is likely to work with a more conservative standard, since you don't know where your daughter will end up.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your advice.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

This might be a good time to post some more white dress links!

Pick your favorite department store and narrow the choices in your size range to "dresses" and then "white."
Here's Macy's: http://www1.macys.com/shop/juniors-c...le-white-dress

Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

BCBG You can search dresses by color. They also have less formal wedding dresses.
http://www.bcbg.com/DRESSES/dresses,...t&prefv1=White
Old 07-23-2014, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

H&M

Here are some dresses from H&M (It's hard to tell if they are pure white or not, but at least its worth a try to look in the store.) Might need a shrug/sweater with them as well...

http://www.hm.com/us/product/31520?article=31520-A
http://www.hm.com/us/product/29733?article=29733-D
http://www.hm.com/us/product/29835?article=29835-A
http://www.hm.com/us/product/28770?article=28770-A

I don't miss these days! It's better to look now than to look in the dead of February!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaGirl1908 View Post
Not only does the requirement to wear white vary by organization, but note that the conservatism of the white varies as well. In some groups, a strapless white minidress with a gold zipper up the back might be fine. But in other groups -- including my own -- the requirement is for a conservative uninterrupted white (no colored buttons or zippers or trims or belts) skirted ensemble with sleeves. I can wear a white sweater and skirt, but not a spaghetti-strap dress (and a cap sleeve is pushing it). Another group might not be okay with a sweater and skirt and might require a dress.

But everyone is likely to be fine with a conservative all-white dress.

It would be wise to err on the side of finding something that is likely to work with a more conservative standard, since you don't know where your daughter will end up.
When I was in school, our president sank beaucoup $$ into a white suit. At the time I thought she was crackers. Now I see how smart she was. You enjoy ritual more if you're dressed in something that is becoming (strapless white minidresses are not becoming ever) and of good quality.

Even if you go through rush and end up not pledging a sorority at all, a simple white sheath or a-line dress is something you can always use, as are closed-toe white shoes.