GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,142
2 members and 1,140 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmagnolia View Post
i only get two nights where i get to pick my entire outfit- my first two nights are recruitment t, jeans, and cute flats or heels. but here's what i came up with for philanthropy and prefs!

philanthropy on the left, pref on the right.
i know the shoes for pref are a little much, but i just really wanted to use them.
They're flashy, but because you paired them with a simple and elegant dress, they work. AND they're memorable. I'd totally wear that outfit. It says you're both classy and creative.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-11-2010, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm in love with that polyvore site now.
If I could just go shopping for rush i would LOOVE this outfit.

Our first round is in the afternoon/evening and although the temperatures soar throughout the day it gets a little cooler at night, hence the cardigan. Not sure if its appropriate though. It actually kinda resembles the outfit I am planning on wearing for that day, except with sandals instead of flats.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeish View Post
I'm in love with that polyvore site now.
If I could just go shopping for rush i would LOOVE this outfit.

Our first round is in the afternoon/evening and although the temperatures soar throughout the day it gets a little cooler at night, hence the cardigan. Not sure if its appropriate though. It actually kinda resembles the outfit I am planning on wearing for that day, except with sandals instead of flats.
A cardigan is a great idea if it gets cool at night (and because air conditioners run full blast all day so some houses will probably be ice boxes by evening.) It looks very appropriate. You can always leave it with your RC's during parties if you discover you don't need it after all.

PS: You might want to use jewelry to add a little color, but if you don't some lip gloss with a little tint and some blush (if you wear make up ordinarily...trying something you aren't used to for big events can end up making you feel weird and uncomfortable) will brighten you up the same way.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by Alumiyum; 08-11-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I picked a few "What not to Wears" based on outfits I've actually seen during recruitment. I didn't come up with one for pref, because the only one I could think of was the prom dress, and that was well covered earlier.

Open House:

As many people have said, it's important to impress girls, not guys. It's also important to dress for the occasion. A corset or a micro mini skirt, and certainly the combination isn't appropriate for recruitment. That's club/show wear. Even on campuses where knee-length is a little dowdy, you need to keep your butt cheeks covered. Sit down in the outfit to make sure you can do so without flashing.

Casual Night:

Where is this outfit appropriate? The pool, the beach, hanging out with friends in the summer time. It's not ok for recruitment. Avoid the super-distressed look on your denim, and the itty bitty shorty shorts. Also, if a tank top/tee is appropriate for your campus's recruitment don't pick one with a slogan. Why? Because then your clothing is talking for you. You don't get the chance to send a message about who you are when your shirt does it for you. "Don't hate" is asking for someone to hate, so a recruitment party isn't the best place for it. (Other offenders have included "I'm hot" and "Your boyfriend wants me".)

Theme:

Two problems. The first is that a dress that is shrinkwrapped isn't appropriate for recruitment (or work, school...). Nor is a super super short dress. The second is that you don't want to be ALL one color. You'll be remembered as "the blueberry girl" or the "pink girl" or the "green girl" instead of "the really funny girl that ran track in high school and likes to sing"...you get the point. Everything doesn't have to match, it has to go. If you want to keep it simple, go with something like a black dress and black shoes with an accessory in a color, or pearls.

ETA: An outfit can be cute and not be appropriate for certain places/occasions. The casual night combo is an example. Fine at the beach, mall, pool. Not at work, recruitment, job interviews. And though it is very important to look well groomed and appropriate, it's also important that you worry far more about meeting actives than about your clothing. If you're self conscious, you won't be able to enjoy yourself and it will show. Be comfortable, yourself, and appropriate and then be confident.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by Alumiyum; 08-11-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I hope these pictures show up! (I'm not very techno-savvy)

The first 2 days we had to wear the panhellenic t shirt. I chose cute flats, and walking shorts (no tears or rips either).

For first invite (sisterhood day) I chose a cute summery dress and again flats.

For second invite (philanthropy day) I chose a slightly more dressy, but still summery dress. I still went with flats for this round because at this point in the game you can still be doing a lot of walking.

For preference I chose a fairly plain dress and somewhat subtle jewelry.

Bid Day!!!! I went casual (but still looking nice for all those pictures! ) I went with just a plain tank because all the chapters give out bid day shirts and I want to wear mine.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsilverbronz View Post
The easiest way is to right-click on the picture, open it in a new tab, and then use that as the URL for the "insert picture"
Crud... I knew I'd do something wrong.

I did this but they're still not showing up! Anymore help guys?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectinpurple View Post
Ok, I hope these pictures show up! (I'm not very techno-savvy)

The first 2 days we had to wear the panhellenic t shirt. I chose cute flats, and walking shorts (no tears or rips either).

For first invite (sisterhood day) I chose a cute summery dress and again flats.

For second invite (philanthropy day) I chose a slightly more dressy, but still summery dress. I still went with flats for this round because at this point in the game you can still be doing a lot of walking.

For preference I chose a fairly plain dress and somewhat subtle jewelry.

Bid Day!!!! I went casual (but still looking nice for all those pictures! ) I went with just a plain tank because all the chapters give out bid day shirts and I want to wear mine.
Not showing up

Groucho Marx
Old 08-11-2010, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I know! I'm so sad

I thought I followed the "how to", but technology hates me.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know! I'm so sad

It took me a minute to figure out. The only way I can get it to work is to upload photos to Webshots (or any hosting site), then click that little picture of a mountain in the toolbar and enter the url, copied. Make sure that when you click the "insert picture" button you clear that blank before you paste the link. Sometimes if you've copied the url but accidentally leave the http: that's already in the box it won't work.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-11-2010, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
It took me a minute to figure out. The only way I can get it to work is to upload photos to Webshots (or any hosting site), then click that little picture of a mountain in the toolbar and enter the url, copied. Make sure that when you click the "insert picture" button you clear that blank before you paste the link. Sometimes if you've copied the url but accidentally leave the http: that's already in the box it won't work.
That's what I had to do.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
I know! I'm so sad

Right click on the picture, if the option to "copy link location" is there, select that. Then when you push the picture icon, just hit paste.

If the "copy link location" is not an option, click "properties" then highlight and copy the IMAGE URL...the problem is you are probably using the URL at the top of the page...you need the IMAGE location or the IMAGE URL.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Everyone is doing summer recruitment. I thought i'd post for winter recruitment, which i went through. Day 1 at my school is the philanthropy round.The first day is more casual and pnms wear jeans. I have 2 examples of outfits a pnm could wear.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh man now I'm gonna have to do winter outfits. Polyvore is my new favorite way to make work go faster. I really like that purple shirt.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
Right click on the picture, if the option to "copy link location" is there, select that. Then when you push the picture icon, just hit paste.

If the "copy link location" is not an option, click "properties" then highlight and copy the IMAGE URL...the problem is you are probably using the URL at the top of the page...you need the IMAGE location or the IMAGE URL.
If I could right click, that's what I'd do.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
If I could right click, that's what I'd do.
On a Mac? Ctrl + click.