GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,215
1 members and 1,214 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxOff View Post
Many of our Chapters will hire themselves out for serenades on Valentine's Day and other occasions.
Yep. We used to do that.

And when we went caroling at Christmas, it was complete with a brass ensemble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusse10 View Post
You gotta be able to sing, though. Serenading, but sounding like garbage, is useless. You'll go back, and they'll laugh.
LOL. Very true.

To the OP, though, why is it done? It's fun . . . and potentially romantic. And tradition. So why not?

Last edited by MysticCat; 06-20-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusse10 View Post
Glad I'm not the only Sinfonian in here...Serenading rules.

You gotta be able to sing, though. Serenading, but sounding like garbage, is useless. You'll go back, and they'll laugh.
LOL. It's a good thing we didn't do serenades, then - much as I love my sisters, most of them couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Made pref night interesting, especially the year I (the only active at the time who could sing) was a rho chi. Serenades just weren't part of the campus culture where I went to school.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I come from a big family that loves to sing, so the descriptions of serenades sound magical to me! This was not part of the campus culture where I went to school, and I had no idea this charming old-fashioned tradition was still alive and well at other campuses. Keep it up!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofISigKap View Post
^^^^WHAT!?! Awww, man! I'm so sorry, lovespink88. No serenades at all? They only lasted a few more years after I left then. "Back in the day" though, there were two common serenade times. First, was when fraternities would stop by houses to serenade new members at the end of sorority bid day. The second time was the HUGE serenade week in which both the sororities and fraternities took half a week each to stop by the other houses to express interest in social events for the following semester. Choreography, themes, customized songs, food gifts, etc...

Well, we still have 'social calling', the second thing you described. Like you said, the purpose of them is to express interest for socials (and to tell the sorority/fraternity what a great time you had at your last event, if you had one that semester). The girls just look cute and bring food, while the guys have a little more variety. Some fraternities just bring flowers, candy and other little gifts, others do a song, dance or both. Oh, and chapters will only send about 2-5 people.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity brothers of the groom often serenade the bride with their fraternity's sweetheart song - or some other appropriate song - at the wedding reception. Also, any women who may be special to a chapter for what ever reason - such as House Mothers, cooks, mothers, sisters and friends who have helped the chapter - may be serenaded as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school, the fraternities do the serenading, but my chapter always sings back (I think we may be the only sorority here that does so). They only serenade during Monday night meetings, and we know in advance when they'll show up, so we can plan meeting accordingly - usually they serenade to introduce their new member class (in which case just the new brothers sing & dance), or to promote some kind of event coming up, like Derby Days. They often bring flowers to give to our president and some of the other sisters, too.

I really like the custom-- it's one of those things that I barely knew about before I decided to go Greek, and my first serenade, I was like, "seriously, this is REAL??" But I think it's really cute and fun, and most people seem to enjoy it.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Well, we still have 'social calling', the second thing you described. Like you said, the purpose of them is to express interest for socials (and to tell the sorority/fraternity what a great time you had at your last event, if you had one that semester). The girls just look cute and bring food, while the guys have a little more variety. Some fraternities just bring flowers, candy and other little gifts, others do a song, dance or both. Oh, and chapters will only send about 2-5 people.
So they took away the 'all chapter' serenades but kept the rest. It used to be this HUGE production on the first day of the week for the sororities, and then I think the guys started on Wednesday. I have memories of my entire house getting dressed in whatever themed costume we were that time around, practicing our songs that had personalized lyrics that could be changed for each fraternity, and driving all over campus for a few hours for these quick 5 minute productions put on in the living/great rooms of the fraternities.

I remember when Brittney Spears hit, and OMG...I swear we saw at least two sororities in the school girl costumes at EVERY house we stopped at. (We'd wait outside in these big groups at the houses because we were all serenading on the same night, and there would literally be hundreds of women standing outside the fraternity houses waiting their turn.) Some other themes I remember were Hawaiian themes, WWE Raw, blacklight glowstick dancers, just anything you could think of. The costumes and lyrics definitely were starting to get more and more outrageous, so I can only imagine what the very few years left of it were like.

The "left over" days that weren't the official serenade night were when the mini groups went to the houses we wanted to exchange with. If I recall correctly, they would bring cookies, brownies, candy baskets, Pokey Sticks, etc... to leave with the guys. So that part is the same. Don't get me wrong, serenades were A LOT of work, but I loved them! Occasionally a song will come on the radio that we used, and I don't even know what the right lyrics are; I know the ones we sang though. Ahhh, memorieeeeees!