GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,506
1 members and 2,505 guests
No Members online

Old 02-01-2016, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Going through Sorority Rush again as a Junior?

I rushed as a Sophomore in Fall Formal and didn't know until I started, but at my school freshman and sophomores are lumped into the same quota and juniors/seniors are in the same quota, making it harder for sophomores since many houses will cut sophomores in favor of freshman to fill quota. This made my rush not as enjoyable as I imagined it to be.

On Pref Night, I ended with two houses. One house I really liked a lot, but the other I did not enjoy. Not due to any 'rankings' or reputations, but the girls I had talked to I didn't get along with very well. So at the end of the night, I only ranked one house (i.e. I suicided) because I did not want to be in the other house (side note: I definitely do not recommend suiciding to anyone. That was a stupid decision). Obviously, I did not receive a bid.

This semester, I went to Spring Informal to one house, made it to Pref Night again, and again did not receive a bid. It's just really frustrating because I want to join Greek life, and I'm honestly very open-minded about all the houses. Actually some of my favorite houses are notorious 'bottom' houses, but I really like the people I've met in those houses. It just happened that one of the houses I ended up with during formal, I didn't get along with the girls I had talked to.

I wanted opinions on whether I should rush as a Junior during Formal recruitment. The only thing is that I have friends in the Greek system, and I feel like it's a bit embarrassing since they'll all know it'll be my third semester doing recruitment. Also, I don't know if I'll be viewed as too old. Not many juniors rush, but those that do usually are transfer students who came from other schools. Anyways, any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGCC View Post
I rushed as a Sophomore in Fall Formal and didn't know until I started, but at my school freshman and sophomores are lumped into the same quota and juniors/seniors are in the same quota, making it harder for sophomores since many houses will cut sophomores in favor of freshman to fill quota. This made my rush not as enjoyable as I imagined it to be.

On Pref Night, I ended with two houses. One house I really liked a lot, but the other I did not enjoy. Not due to any 'rankings' or reputations, but the girls I had talked to I didn't get along with very well. So at the end of the night, I only ranked one house (i.e. I suicided) because I did not want to be in the other house (side note: I definitely do not recommend suiciding to anyone. That was a stupid decision). Obviously, I did not receive a bid.

This semester, I went to Spring Informal to one house, made it to Pref Night again, and again did not receive a bid. It's just really frustrating because I want to join Greek life, and I'm honestly very open-minded about all the houses. Actually some of my favorite houses are notorious 'bottom' houses, but I really like the people I've met in those houses. It just happened that one of the houses I ended up with during formal, I didn't get along with the girls I had talked to.

I wanted opinions on whether I should rush as a Junior during Formal recruitment. The only thing is that I have friends in the Greek system, and I feel like it's a bit embarrassing since they'll all know it'll be my third semester doing recruitment. Also, I don't know if I'll be viewed as too old. Not many juniors rush, but those that do usually are transfer students who came from other schools. Anyways, any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
QFP
Old 02-01-2016, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Ask yourself: can I handle a possible third rejection? What has changed in me that would make me attractive/desirable as a member now? Am I truly "honestly open-minded" and will I accept any bid I'm offered? What are my sorority friends telling me about the situation I'm in? Because I'm reading between the lines, and I think there might be more here than meets the eye.

There are threads on GC about women successfully rushing a second and even a third time. Search out those threads and take what applies to you and use it.

You already know you are going to be viewed by some (many?) as "too old". Put the embarrassment aside and go through recruitment again, if you really want to be a sorority member (which is for a lifetime). I wish you the best of luck!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-01-2016, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

This is for other potential upperclassmen rushing:
I might change my mind in the future, but I've decided to rush again as a junior! I've found a friend who was also thinking about rushing as a junior, so that's helped some of my nerves.

Honestly, this is the last chance I'll have to join a sorority and something I actually want to do, so why not? I'll have a second chance talking to the sorority I didn't really like before and maybe I'll find that there are girls I like in there. Every recruitment event I've been to, I always came out with at least one or two new friends so I feel like I only things to gain.

I think recruitment can be daunting and situations like mine can be embarrassing, but only if you make it to be that way.