GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,179
2 members and 2,177 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 03-21-2008, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Attracting potential co-founders?

I am in the process of trying to bring a Christian sorority to my campus. The sorority is fairly new but doing very well compared to other sororities of its nature. The problem is that I am not the most out-going person and I don't know anyone who will help me bring this sorority to our campus. The campus has a very big Christian base and I know that there are people who would want this, its just that I don't know them. I thought of advertising on campus but I don't know if I can legally use the organizations name without being and authorize colony. Any help would be most appreciated!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-21-2008, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

If I were in your shoes.....

I would approach whoever is in charge of your campus ministry and tell them your intentions to bring a Christian sorority to campus. Then ask them if they could help you identify other potential members. You could then ask the Campus ministries person to send an email to said students saying something like "This young lady is interested in bringing _______ sorority to campus. If you're interested, please contact her at: ______"

I dunno.... good luck!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless your campus ministry frowns upon GLOs.... in which case I wouldn't know what to do.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Unless your campus ministry frowns upon GLOs.... in which case I wouldn't know what to do.
Thank you for your idea! They don't frown on GLOs, but our school has, I believe, 8 other Christain organizations (non of them GLOs) and while if we had the everything we needed to be a RSO, no one would try to stop us, I don't think we would be particularly welcomed by the administration. Still, is worth a shot, and maybe that could help in getting an advisor as well.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Are there any other chapters of the sorority in the area? Or do they have an official expansion chair or regional director that you know of?

I ask because my university has had several organizations come on in the past few years. They'd either bring in current members from other chapters to recruit (during the all-university "meet and greet") or they'd have the expansion chair work with Greek life to be the official contact for the organization.

I also agree that you should contact the campus ministries. There are bound to be some people who are interested.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Are there any other chapters of the sorority in the area? Or do they have an official expansion chair or regional director that you know of?

I ask because my university has had several organizations come on in the past few years. They'd either bring in current members from other chapters to recruit (during the all-university "meet and greet") or they'd have the expansion chair work with Greek life to be the official contact for the organization.

I also agree that you should contact the campus ministries. There are bound to be some people who are interested.
That's what I was thinking. Where is the expansion chair? Are you trying to trying to do this by yourself? (I've read the original post but I'm still a little unclear) Don't most groups require that you have a group of 5 or more interested girls before they expand to a new campus?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Why not start with going to your campus ministry's women's bible study?-to try and recruit interested members.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

They do have other chapters that are in the same state. I believe the alpha chapter is like an hour away. I have the regional director's phone number its just that I am under the impression that we are supposed to have the people before we go on to the next step so I dont want to bother her unless I can at least show and interest besides me.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnxbutterfly View Post
That's what I was thinking. Where is the expansion chair? Are you trying to trying to do this by yourself? (I've read the original post but I'm still a little unclear) Don't most groups require that you have a group of 5 or more interested girls before they expand to a new campus?
They require at least 3 but we would need ten according to having an RSO at the school and they go by whatever you would need for the school. I guess the problem is I feel like I should have the interested girls before I get back in contact with the organization. And I am trying to figure out the best way to do that without misleading people. I want to say something like we are trying to charter blank organization but I dont know if I can use there letters since we arent official, I just have an interest packet...
Old 03-22-2008, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
Why not start with going to your campus ministry's women's bible study?-to try and recruit interested members.
I am actually apart of 2 campus ministries. One is so big that, although I know there are probably potential interest there, there really isn't a venue to advertise. As for the other one, I am suppose to be trying to recruit new members for it, so I don't think it would be appropriate to try to seek people there. And we are just getting off the ground so it wouldn't work anyway, at least not right now. But thank you everyone who responded. If anyone has any other advice please post or pm me. Thanks!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBee View Post
They require at least 3 but we would need ten according to having an RSO at the school and they go by whatever you would need for the school. I guess the problem is I feel like I should have the interested girls before I get back in contact with the organization. And I am trying to figure out the best way to do that without misleading people. I want to say something like we are trying to charter blank organization but I dont know if I can use there letters since we arent official, I just have an interest packet...
No, you can not say you are a colony of XYZ if you have not been formally invited . Have you talked to your rommate/floor mate/best friend? Are they interested? No, then maybe they know people who are. Does this org have a website? Maybe you can direct people to the website and tell them that this is the org you would like to see on campus. Explain to them why you feel this org would be a good fit.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I am currently working on bringing a chapter of one of my orgs to a new campus. Setting up a facebook group has been marginally helpful. (Only marginally because I am not in this school's network, so it's hard to recruit) You could start one that says "I'd like to see a Christian sorority at ______!"

That way, you can invite all your friends to opt in to the group without committing to join a specific org. (You could even invite guys) You're basically trying to expand your network so people are introduced to the notion. Then you set up meetings to discuss things further.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have the regional director's phone number its just that I am under the impression that we are supposed to have the people before we go on to the next step so I dont want to bother her unless I can at least show and interest besides me.
There may not be a "next step" if the organization isn't aware of your interest. They may not be up for expansion. Contact the RD (e-mail her if you don't want to just up and call her) for assistance -- that's what she's there for.

Quote:
No, you can't use their letters. In my organization (and I'm sure it's similar in many other GLOs), you register using an interest group name. For example, if you're interested in Tau Sigma Alpha (just throwing letters out there), you can register as "True Sisterhood Always" or something. The organization may have a name that they want you to register under.

You won't know any of this, though, if you don't contact the organization.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There may not be a "next step" if the organization isn't aware of your interest. They may not be up for expansion. Contact the RD (e-mail her if you don't want to just up and call her) for assistance -- that's what she's there for.

No, you can't use their letters. In my organization (and I'm sure it's similar in many other GLOs), you register using an interest group name. For example, if you're interested in Tau Sigma Alpha (just throwing letters out there), you can register as "True Sisterhood Always" or something. The organization may have a name that they want you to register under.

You won't know any of this, though, if you don't contact the organization.
No, I have been in contact with them, and they are aware of my interest and I have an info pack from them as well as the rd's number. I just want to bring back something solid first. And I know I cant use their letters I was saying to literally to say ---- Christian sorrity but I like the idea of using the letters as if their were acronyms. Thank you though.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

And i just wanted to thank everyone for the great suggestions, it is very helpful.