GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,493
3 members and 1,490 guests
Cookiez17, Sciencewoman, Xidelt

Old 12-03-2023, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I might be missing something here - what was the purpose of forming The Society? That sounds like a dumb question; but, surely all parties involved realize that The Society is NOT Kappa Alpha Theta and will never be Theta. It seems the idea was possibly born out of a feeling disgruntled over the closure of the chapter. But as for the mothers who formed the group......that doesn't make your daughters Thetas.

It's ok to be upset. It's ok to feel angry. It's ok to feel let down. I'm sure the new members were thrilled when they opened their bid cards. I can only imagine the heartbreak they felt to have that opportunity taken away. But who is to blame here? The mothers et al say it's not fair that a few graduating seniors did the hazing and everyone is punished. Uhm....yeah....that's how this works. Haze and everyone pays the price. This wasn't the chapter's first time getting caught hazing. And if their daughters had died of alcohol poisoning, would that have been ok because at least they died pledging Theta?

The logic escapes me.

True and Constant
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-04-2023, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

More about Tri Delta at UVA: During an investigation into reports of potential hazing behavior, Tri-Delta Sorority acknowledged hazing associated with events attended by their new members. The sorority held an event on February 4, 2022, known as “The Scare” which featured a mixer with St. Elmo fraternity where pledge class members attended and alcohol was provided. The event was intended for pledges to get to know current members. During the event, the pledges were required to watch a presentation that included information about current members. During the slideshow, a Tri Delta sister ran into the room and said someone in the pledge class had reported them for an alcohol violation. She then announced she was going to take a picture of the pledge class, and that someone needed to disclose who had reported them. After time passed the Tri Delta sister returned to the room to explain the situation was a joke. The event’s purpose was to scare the pledges. The investigation also revealed that new members had words written on their bodies.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I think I might be missing something here - what was the purpose of forming The Society? That sounds like a dumb question; but, surely all parties involved realize that The Society is NOT Kappa Alpha Theta and will never be Theta. It seems the idea was possibly born out of a feeling disgruntled over the closure of the chapter. But as for the mothers who formed the group......that doesn't make your daughters Thetas.

It's ok to be upset. It's ok to feel angry. It's ok to feel let down. I'm sure the new members were thrilled when they opened their bid cards. I can only imagine the heartbreak they felt to have that opportunity taken away. But who is to blame here? The mothers et al say it's not fair that a few graduating seniors did the hazing and everyone is punished. Uhm....yeah....that's how this works. Haze and everyone pays the price. This wasn't the chapter's first time getting caught hazing. And if their daughters had died of alcohol poisoning, would that have been ok because at least they died pledging Theta?

The logic escapes me.

I have to agree with you and I don't understand why the mothers formed "The Society?" I do feel for their daughters who were impacted by the decisions of the older members, but creating an unrecognized group isn't a safe or smart decision IMHO.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that SMU is considering—or has decided—to have sorority recruitment in the fall rather than the spring. So—is The Society taking a “pledge” class? Are they “rushing” girls who want a pseudo-Greek experience without the behavior requirements or dues?

Just wondering if anybody knows. This clearly has happened at other schools.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! I just looked and The Society has an Instagram featuring college women—not sure if they are former Thetas, Theta alumnae or actual “Society” members?
The most recent post is 4 days ago.

Their site is: thesocietydtx
Old 12-12-2023, 04:38 PM

Holy Hannah. I took a quick look at their Insta and it screams M-O-N-E-Y. Their gala looks like a New Orleans Mardi Gras krewe gala.

They're still using black and gold as their colors. Oh, but they're "not affiliated with Theta". Things that make you go hmmm...
Old 12-12-2023, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
Wow! I just looked and The Society has an Instagram featuring college women—not sure if they are former Thetas, Theta alumnae or actual “Society” members?
The most recent post is 4 days ago.

Their site is: thesocietydtx
My understanding is that these are mostly all previous Thetas who are now "converted" into The Society members. It's not clear how many are new members pledged straight into The Society without being Thetas first.

Judging from their social media, they probably won't be going anywhere for a while. I imagine they will attempt to position themselves as a high society group that is a tier above the "regular sororities". For that reason, I expect a number of girls will want to join the chapter.

True and Constant
Old 12-13-2023, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

So these groups have found loopholes in which to operate. I may be looking at this simplistically, but it appears to me that PSU not allowing Trilogy to participate in THON, and especially not allowing them to pair with a fraternity, might make Trilogy a little less attractive to join. The admins could also make the consequences greater for groups who socialize with rogue organizations, and despite this age group being risk takers, the groups might decide it’s not worth the risk to fraternize with them.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I imagine they will attempt to position themselves as a high society group that is a tier above the "regular sororities". For that reason, I expect a number of girls will want to join the chapter.
This is how some of the not-sororities at UPenn roll. They easily attract the candidates they want.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
And the interesting thing with Trilogy is that they were present on the night that Tim Piazza died, and all of the reforms that Greek Life has undergone at Penn State does not apply one bit to Trilogy, because they're technically NOT a sorority. Makes you wonder...
Old 12-20-2023, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

SMU sorority recruitment begins in early January 2024, just a few weeks away. It’ll be interesting to see what “The Society” does: will they conduct an “underground recruitment”? Will they actively encourage young women NOT to pledge other groups still in good standing? Or…will they just let their current “membership” play out till they all graduate?

If anyone has any connection and can keep us filled in, it’ll be fascinating to see.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
So these groups have found loopholes in which to operate. I may be looking at this simplistically, but it appears to me that PSU not allowing Trilogy to participate in THON, and especially not allowing them to pair with a fraternity, might make Trilogy a little less attractive to join. The admins could also make the consequences greater for groups who socialize with rogue organizations, and despite this age group being risk takers, the groups might decide it’s not worth the risk to fraternize with them.
Many groups other than sororities and fraternities participate in THON (list here) so it would be very difficult for them to find a way to prevent Trilogy from doing so. Also there are far more fraternities than NPC sororities. One fraternity pairs with GSS, one with Phi Sigma Rho, and one paired with a dance company.

If Penn State Panhel was smart, they'd invite Trilogy to become a member instead of deriding them as a "fake sorority" and the women who join as wannabes who couldn't get bids elsewhere. Instead they just contribute to Trilogy's reputation as "outlaws" and the women who join are the ones attracted by that reputation. Ditto the fraternities that THON pair or socialize with them. As far as the Tim Piazza situation, if a university of this size didn't have any sort of procedure in place to discipline a non-Greek group that they find contributed to a student death - be it Trilogy, the basketball team or the Anime Club- that truly is their own dumb fault and yet another example of the kind of tunnel vision that says "if we crack down on Greeks all the bad things will go away." Mistaking campus culture for Greek culture.

Last edited by 33girl; 12-20-2023 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Holy Hannah. I took a quick look at their Insta and it screams M-O-N-E-Y. Their gala looks like a New Orleans Mardi Gras krewe gala.
Yeah, I have to say they don't look too upset about not being part of NPC.

I know that women these age have grown up with computers just as I did with the radio and they think about it almost as much...but when I see all these professional level pages it blows my mind. (Or else they have enough $$ to pay actual professionals.) It makes me miss sticking my film from blind date party in an envelope at the bookstore and praying that at least one picture of me would come out decent.
Old 12-21-2023, 05:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Definitely reminds me of the groups at Penn, as Low D Flat said.

They have their own networks of private schools, camps, socialite friend groups, etc that will refer daughters and friends.

People always talk about stuff like this happening in the south, but it goes on, to a certain extent, in many other places.

Last edited by *winter*; 12-21-2023 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Remove incorrect information
Old 12-21-2023, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post

The women in the groups at Penn certainly have money and connections considering Tiffany Trump is an alumnae of one such group! They have their own networks of private schools, camps, socialite friend groups, etc that will refer daughters and friends.
Tiffany Trump is a Kappa Alpha Theta alumna in good standing. She matriculated at the University of Pennsylvania, not Penn State.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity