GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,429
2 members and 1,427 guests
aantonygooglet9, Xidelt

Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at Cal States?

----

Last edited by BerryPoptarts; 09-20-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

1) Use the search function. You might get more narrow results by using Google. Try using Greek Chat in your search terms paired with the name of the school.

2) We can't tell you any specifics about GPAs or what your chances are in recruitment. Seriously. Re GPA: some chapters may consider this to be part of membership selection, therefore not public information, which is why it isn't published. Contact the Office of Greek Life at each campus.

3) Spring Recruitment and COB: it's going to vary from chapter to chapter, campus to campus.

4) The term "suiciding" is not only politically incorrect and insensitive, it's not used. The correct term is "SIP" or "Single Intentional Preference". It means that while a PNM has more than one chapter to list after attending Preference parties, she only lists one chapter. Again, if you do a SEARCH you'll find out more about this subject. I'm not even going to comment on "pick a chapter."

My advice to you is simple: go through recruitment.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-20-2012, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
1) Use the search function. You might get more narrow results by using Google. Try using Greek Chat in your search terms paired with the name of the school.
Or include "site:www.greekchat.com" in your search terms.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryPoptarts View Post
Does anyone know what the recruitment is like at any of these Cal States:

Long Beach?
Fullerton?
San Diego?

The questions I have mainly would be

1) Are these three considered competitive schools?
2) I know two of them are very well known for taking transfer students, and have a huge percentage of those that transfer, would that make any kind of difference on getting a bid if you are a junior or a senior (most seniors who transfer have 2-3 years left)
3) Does anyone know what GPA requirements are for certain chapters at these schools? I have been able to find on their school chapter website some of the required GPA's for that chapter, but some others I have yet to see.
4) How likely are any of these schools, (I know you cannot know for certain since you don't know how these chapters are run, but I figured I would ask) to do any kind of Spring Recruitment? (I think I read it's called COB here?)
IMO anyone who has been through recruitment at SDSU, CSU Fullerton or/CSULB would consider the process "competitive." Southern California is not having a shortage of smart, personable, confident and accomplished young women who want to be in sororities. That said, a PNM who has an open mind, and by that I mean she wants to be a sorority member and not just a member of a specific or a few limited chapters, will probably find a home if she participates in recruitment. The chapters at all of these schools are very diverse and you can have a great collegiate experience and the opportunity to join some amazing NPCs at all the Cal State campuses!

It's not at all uncommon for juniors or transfer students to receive bids. A senior may have more limited options. Your age and the number of years since you graduated from HS may or may not be factors that may limit your options. GPA does matter, and if your GPA is below the all women's and/or all sorority average, that's going to be factor as well.

Nobody really knows whether there will be an opportunity to join in the spring or through informal recruitment (COR.) Your best bet is to participate in formal recruitment which is held in September at all three campuses.

All three of these schools have housed chapters but none of the chapters have houses large enough to provide housing to all their members. Membership can be costly and you should think about whether you would want to, or not want to, live in the chapter house. Seriously consider if you want to commit your time and money to sorority membership as you consider the recruitment process. Think about whether or not it is a good fit for you at this point in your education, especially if you are closer to graduation from college than you are to graduation from HS.

True Lives to Live From Day to Day