GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Omicron Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 1,379
0 members and 1,379 guests
No Members online

Old 09-01-2002, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush themes

Hi Everyone!!!!

First off, I want to say congrats to the chapters that all just finished recruitment!!!!! I hope all went well This is my first year going through formal rush as a sister and I was wondering what kinds of themes are popular.....my big sis and I are in charge of decorations.....I am so excited!!!!!!!!! Formal recruitment is not til January for us, but we want to get ideas and supplies early........thanks for the help, and I will try to keep you all posted on what happens during our fall informal rush, which starts on Wednesday!!!!!

Roses,
Lacey
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-04-2002, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck coming up with ideas! At Chi Epsilon we're a no-frills recruitment. No songs, no skits, no balloons - just conversation. Preference is the only time we sing. It's SOOOOOOO different from where I went to college where we were rehearsing next year's skits almost as soon as recruitment ended this year!

If you get some good themes - I'd be willing to brainstorm with you on the decoration themes. Let me know how I can help!

Roses,
Heidi
Old 09-05-2002, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Heidi!!!
Thanks for offering to help!!!!!!!!!!! I will be sure to let you know when I get some ideas.................

Roses,

Lacey
Old 09-09-2002, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to wen4324 Send a message via Yahoo to wen4324
Cool Rush theme ideas :)

I have a few rush theme ideas, but I am definatly looking for more!
Last year while I was rushing the sorority I ended up pledging for did a beach theme and a mardi gras theme. they were both really fun!
other sororities this year are doing a new york theme...I guess each room in their house is decorated like a specific part of new york city? for example central park or china town? I'm not really sure about all the details but thats what I've heard.
another one i've heard of is come party with the stars....its like a movie star theme i guess

This year for our informal we are having a bonfire beach party...I'm soo excited...we are putting grass skirts around the edge of the beer pong table and getting lei's and we have tiki torches...it should be a good time.....

we havent thought of an idea for our formal rush party yet...does anyone have any ideas that arent like typical ideas? we want to do something that someone hasnt done in a few years, or hasnt done at all here before....

Thanks!
Wendy
Old 09-09-2002, 09:41 PM

Hi Wendy,

What kind of ideas are you looking for? Is your recruitment really formal, laid back, a mix? Do you have a philanthropic themed night? Excuse my ignorance, but is Alpha Delta Epsilon a local at SUNY Geneseo and if so, do you have your own individual schedule? If not, do all the sororities participate in an organized, greek or sorority council run formal recruitment week? Are there local sororities and NPC groups there? I know, I'm nosy, but I am honestly curious--and want to help if I can because recruitment just rocks!

You asked for ideas about your formal party. Would that be the equivalent of preference night, or a skit/entertainment night? Let us know! If it's a skit party, what about something along the lines of a Broadway show adapted for your sorority? What's cool these days anyhow? I mean, I think that Trading Spaces and Alias are cool but college girls may think a skit based on either of those would be completely, well, lame. A few years ago, skits based on TRL seemed to be the rage...would this be totally passe or still relevant? I know someone posted in one of the recruitment threads that a chapter did an "ABC in the City" skit, based on Sex in the City. That would fit a New York theme night if you wanted to go that route and no one else had already planned that.

If it's more of a preference party, you'd definitely want something simple yet stunning, classic and showcasing your traditions, sisterhood and future (yeah, sounds simple, huh?! LOL!)

Let us know and I'm sure anyone with ideas will let you know!

Good luck!
Christin
Old 09-09-2002, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to wen4324 Send a message via Yahoo to wen4324
okay, here's how rush goes for us....
first we have an informal...at like a cafe where everyone that is rushing is invited to...its like a get to know each other thing....
then after that there is a party down at our house...this is what we are doing the bonfire beach party

next we have a formal about a week later (every sorority on campus has a different day) so we go out to eat somewhere nice and pay for the rushee's and then have another party at our house...this is the theme i'm looking for????

at our campus there are 10 sororities...for the first week of rush two sororities have their informals each night (everyone is invited to this) and then for the formals each sorority gets their own night (you must be invited to attend a formal)....

i hoped that help...the theme i'm looking for is like something to decorate our house and garage for the after party...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

American Rush Theme

Hey everyone! I am rush chair for this coming spring rush, and we plan to do an American theme so I was wondering if anyone had some ideas about gift or decorations for that!

Thanks,
Alexa
Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarttttt View Post
Hey everyone! I am rush chair for this coming spring rush, and we plan to do an American theme so I was wondering if anyone had some ideas about gift or decorations for that!

Thanks,
Alexa
Is this formal or informal rush? Frills or no frills?

Fireworks are probably out of the question, however if your group hosts an off-campus Bid Night party perhaps your venue has fireworks capability/availability (private clubs in my area have fireworks during wedding receptions).

Your Bid Cards could be made to resemble old historic U.S. documents such as the Constitution/Bill Of Rights.

Bid Day signs might be cut-out white stars (like on our U.S. Flag) with NM names.

Certain national colas come in short, red or blue aluminum cans to serve at parties.

It is now Halloween, check local stores for Miss America/Statue of Liberty/Uncle Sam costumes for skits.

Many of our Founding Fathers are on US dollar bills; decorate with real-looking fake bills. Or purchase candy bars (Walgreens or specialty store World Market) that look like 'million dollar' bills.

If you are not into red/white/blue decorations, the American Theme could be narrowed in definition: BBQ; beaches; music; cars; television, etc.

Don't forget during recruitment conversations to mention great Americans who are members of your group. If one of those great women helped found XYZ Corp, give New Members gifts/totes/items from that store/business.

And in case you missed the GreekChat photo under Alpha Gamma Delta Recruitment 2012-2013, Ohio U women wore WE WANT YOU! Bid Day shirts with the famous American Uncle Sam design.

Last edited by Cheerio; 10-11-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: additional source
Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
The Sigma Gamma chapter did an American Olympic theme for their bid day. They made signs and used balloons. The cake was the Olympic rings. Their big wooden letters were painted like the flag. Then one of the advisors stayed up to help make an Olympic torch out of posterboard and tissue paper. The shirts had Stay Calm and Go For Gold on the back in red and gold. The initiated sisters and advisors wore white shirts (tanks) and the new members wore the red ones. You could contact their new member educator or their recruitment chair for ideas. I know their preference day was the same one they do every year. But, Appalachian State does a no frills recruitment, so the other two days were display and philanthropy. I wasn't able to go, so I do not know if those two days were incorporated into an American theme or not.
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM

I just saw Omega Upsilon's Bid Day pics (Ohio U) on Facebook, and it looks like they used an "All That" theme. I thought that was adorable!