GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe
» Online Users: 1,210
3 members and 1,207 guests
austinyandxtz54, Yodap, Yodapolarisnupe

Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I finally got around to checking the registry for college BFF's wedding (where I'm a groomsmaid). I'm planning on giving them a Lowe's gift card anyway--but I like to check out registries.

I love having down-to-earth friends! They just bought a house, and most of their money's gone into the house (hence my gift to them), so they really registered for all the basic stuff. The only "splurge" they had included was the iRobot, but knowing them they probably put it in there for the discount.

No treadmills or lululemon clothing here, my friends.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM

^^^That's a very practical gift.

My random: yay for new planning projects. Things really start to pick up when spring rolls around (I think it's because everyone who gets engaged over the holiday season starts planning.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^That's a very practical gift.

Every time I call them, that's where they are!

Oh--speaking of planning--I'm on the planning committee for a Kentucky Derby party for a charity with which I'm involved.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 PM

^^^Fun. On deck for me right now: 3 weddings, 2 corporate events (one is college basketball themed and coming up soon so it's more like one corp event), and a bat mitzvah (my first!)

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Sigh.

My dad's cousins (some of the very few of his 60 first cousins we actually invited...because inviting them all would be insanity) just contacted us telling us there was an issue with the block of rooms. Turned out to be a non issue--we didn't have double rooms blocked for the whole weekend, which they needed. We can add to the room block, no big deal.

The issue is that well...when she sent me an email she gave me a head count...surprise, surprise, kids are included. We did not invite their kids.

Now, I could be getting ahead of myself. It's very possible they could be bringing the kids for the weekend and will stay with their other side of the family in town, while the parents come to the wedding. Total possibility. But the awkward part is finding out.

I just worry so much because there's quite a few kids who are not being invited on my fiance's side and I really would LOVE to get off on the right foot with his family. I'd hate for them to think, "WTF her family's kids can come, but ours can't?"

We'll have to talk to them, but it's just something that I wish would have never have come up.

ETA: Sorry for being Debbie Downer every time I post here!

Last edited by lovespink88; 03-14-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah yes, the added kids. Been there, lovespink. I sympathize. And this is a good thread to vent in. :-)

Honestly, I don't get why this is so hard for people in this day and age. How have they never heard that only the people whose names are on the invite are the ones invited and they can't just go add in other people (i.e. kids)?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Sigh.

My dad's cousins (some of the very few of his 60 first cousins we actually invited...because inviting them all would be insanity) just contacted us telling us there was an issue with the block of rooms. Turned out to be a non issue--we didn't have double rooms blocked for the whole weekend, which they needed. We can add to the room block, no big deal.

The issue is that well...when she sent me an email she gave me a head count...surprise, surprise, kids are included. We did not invite their kids.

Now, I could be getting ahead of myself. It's very possible they could be bringing the kids for the weekend and will stay with their other side of the family in town, while the parents come to the wedding. Total possibility. But the awkward part is finding out.

I just worry so much because there's quite a few kids who are not being invited on my fiance's side and I really would LOVE to get off on the right foot with his family. I'd hate for them to think, "WTF her family's kids can come, but ours can't?"

We'll have to talk to them, but it's just something that I wish would have never have come up.

ETA: Sorry for being Debbie Downer every time I post here!
You simply email her back asking if she'll need assistance finding babysitting services for the kids during the wedding and reception or if she has that covered already. And then find some high school girls to babysit if needed

My daughter and her friend actually did a wedding babysitting gig once. But really, parents can't exactly travel without their kids. What are they going to do with them?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
My daughter and her friend actually did a wedding babysitting gig once. But really, parents can't exactly travel without their kids. What are they going to do with them?
I realized this one after I posted. I'm frustrated but I understand they're out of town guests and can't just abandon their kids for a weekend lol

I did some snooping...my first cousin, who is one of my bridesmaids, is currently living with one of these cousins because she is working out there. I asked if she had any inside knowledge, lol She didn't know much but it now sounds like the 2 year old of the one family will not be going--he'll be with grandma and grandpa for the weekend. The other family is a 16 year old and a 9 year old. The 16 year old is definitely old enough to take care of the 9 year old for the night, but I feel like it'll be super awkward because they're staying in the hotel where the wedding is being held...so it's like they have to hang out upstairs while everyone is at the party downstairs.

Honestly, I didn't give this a thought previously because we really didn't think they were going to be able to make it. Surprise, surprise, lol
Old 03-15-2012, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

The worst (yet somehow funniest ) thing about my sister's wedding reception was the piles of clean dishes stacked in grey washbuckets on the floor in the middle of the room (we're not that kind of Greek).

The room had three gently-tiered levels (top for wedding party, middle for guests, lower bar area); dishes were left on middle level next to top but by several guest tables. All bodies had to maneuver around the stack. Despite several members of the wedding party asking reception staff to remove them, they remained for the entire six hours of merriment (eight pm to two am).

I always put it off to: A) my sister booked the reception hall two months prior (although someone else had cancelled, so the place was still making money); B) there were five separate, busy, weekend event rooms at the reception hall; C) some staff members possibly were not aware our room was being used that night, so they put all their cleaned dishes in a convenient spot during dayshift; and D) the one-and-only dishwashing room was directly next to ours.

The reception hall no longer exists, it's a CVS store and parking lot.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 PM

I'm a terrible person because I'm ALL about calling or emailing people with sitter names/recs and reminding them that there are no kids to be present.

My opinion is that receptions are adult events and kids who aren't in the wedding party don't need to be there (i'm not the biggest fan of having flower girls or ringbearers either for the same reasons, but I know a lot of people do have them.)

I had a friend who had to call and un-invite kids (family members, too). The mom was a little mad but really, people get over it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I could have gone one way or another with kids, honestly. And technically there ARE kids invited to my wedding, but they are me and fiance's immediate cousins--not parents' cousins' kids. The majority of the "kids" are high school and college aged. As a matter of fact, I think there's just one grade school aged cousin.

We ended up saying no kids to extended family after we realized it would have been like 20 more people. And not all of them are "young enough" for the kids menu, mind you, so we'd paying for the regular plates. Just doing a quick estimation that could have been EASILY $1200-1500 more!

And by process of elimination, we ended up with no flower girl or ring bearer, lol Again, this was something me and my fiance could have gone either way on.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I could have gone one way or another with kids, honestly. And technically there ARE kids invited to my wedding, but they are me and fiance's immediate cousins--not parents' cousins' kids. The majority of the "kids" are high school and college aged. As a matter of fact, I think there's just one grade school aged cousin.

We ended up saying no kids to extended family after we realized it would have been like 20 more people. And not all of them are "young enough" for the kids menu, mind you, so we'd paying for the regular plates. Just doing a quick estimation that could have been EASILY $1200-1500 more!

And by process of elimination, we ended up with no flower girl or ring bearer, lol Again, this was something me and my fiance could have gone either way on.
See when I think of "no kids," I don't think of high school or college.

I think of the kind who aren't old enough to really appreciate the event, that aren't going to be able to entertain themselves, and should probably be left at home with a sitter. Like, younger than that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I realized this one after I posted. I'm frustrated but I understand they're out of town guests and can't just abandon their kids for a weekend lol

I did some snooping...my first cousin, who is one of my bridesmaids, is currently living with one of these cousins because she is working out there. I asked if she had any inside knowledge, lol She didn't know much but it now sounds like the 2 year old of the one family will not be going--he'll be with grandma and grandpa for the weekend. The other family is a 16 year old and a 9 year old. The 16 year old is definitely old enough to take care of the 9 year old for the night, but I feel like it'll be super awkward because they're staying in the hotel where the wedding is being held...so it's like they have to hang out upstairs while everyone is at the party downstairs.

Honestly, I didn't give this a thought previously because we really didn't think they were going to be able to make it. Surprise, surprise, lol
See, this could work out great if someone else has a babysitter problem. You could find out if the 16 year old wants to earn some cash and offer them up for hire. What an ideal situation? Bring the kids with you, drop them in a hotel room (with some toys I would hope) and pick them up on your way out. There's usually extra cake so someone could even deliver them some cake so they feel special The parents are right downstairs if there is a problem!

One of my cousins' daughters had a cut off for anybody under 16. It was kind of awkward because my kids were 15 and 17 at the same time, so my son couldn't go. He was kind of hurt, I felt kind of guilty, so we didn't end up staying very long at the reception. I did understand, but it was definitely awkward.

I was the first of my cousins to NOT include my cousins' children at my reception. I know they were bad talking me behind my back, because that's how they are, but several of them came up to me afterward and said my wedding was the most fun wedding they'd been too in years. I wanted to say "That's because you didn't have to worry about your kids!" but I didn't. If I'd added their kids to the invite list though, I'd have been adding around 30 people and this was before they offered kids plates pricing too. My per plate included an open bar whether the guest was 21 or not too. At $39/plate (in 1989), I wasn't doing that.

Last edited by AGDee; 03-15-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Just heard back from the photographer--it took a while and I was starting to get nervous, but I'd imagine the new manager is still getting situated with the new branch.

I had about a billion questions about payments, our package and what it includes, etc. and while I was fairly certain of all the answers, I just wanted to confirm everything and make sure HE was on the same page as ME.

Everything is spot on!! And I am breathing a sigh of relief. I feel a lot better now.

Also, I got overruled on the whole kid situation, lol So my mom found out that the cousins from out of town are bringing their close family friend along to babysit the little one. The two older boys, the 9 year old and 16 year old will now be invited.

My mom, who knew that my biggest concern was that we were giving special treatment to my family, even ran it by my FMIL before making any decisions (they had gotten together to shower plan over the weekend while I was out of town, lol) She said she absolutely has no problem with letting these two kids come, especially considering they're out of town guests. I'm not surprised...even though she can be a stickler with schedules and organization, she's really, really considerate of stuff like this.

In the end, my parents are covering the food/hall portion of the wedding, as long is everybody is cool with adding these two kids and my parents are gonna pay for it, fine. Done with it. Don't want to talk about it anymore, lol

This weekend will be super busy! Thursday I'm scheduled to meet with the jeweler. We already had my fiance's band, so we're just picking out mine. We have a design in mind, but the price we were quoted was out of budget, so we're going to make a few adjustments.

Then Saturday, I'm bringing my dress in to get some alterations estimates! I don't need to bring it in for alterations for like a month still, but I just want to make sure that this place will be in budget (it should be). Then I'm meeting my DJ (not just the sales person). Super excited about that one! And then I end the day with a make up trial.

So exciting!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm already beyond any argument against marriage equality between that hot mess Kim Kardashian and Newt Gingrich showing everyone how precious it is between one man and one woman, but this is a whole new level of cray cray in the hay hay when it comes to wedding induced mental illness.

A nasal feeding tube instead of eating solid food to lose weight for the wedding. There's a 50% chance your marriage will end in divorce so why not put more energy into the relationship than how you're going to look for a few hours. It isn't even like they went to a spa or are at home, they are out at work and strolling around with a tube in their nose.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/fa...e-Wedding.html

I honestly thought it was an article from The Onion when I saw the first headline.