GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Tau Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,319
3 members and 2,316 guests
Kevin, LaneSig, Titchou

Old 10-03-2019, 05:51 PM

Ohio University Suspensions

Checking in with some disturbing news.

Just read on Facebook that my alma mater, Ohio University, has suspended all fifteen (15) IFC fraternities because of alleged (reports of) hazing at seven of them. This includes the fairly recently reactivated Beta Chapter there.

As a former Delt Division Vice President (alumni), I support a zero tolerance for hazing, but this is way too harsh on all of the groups who have not had any charges or investigations levied against them.

I do not have any information on whether Beta was one of the seven investigated.

The suspensions are effective today (10/3) until they are lifted by the University. So, basically, all fraternities on campus are suspended because of alleged actions by under half of them with no due process at all.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-03-2019, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Honey, that campus is a risk management nightmare. the sororities stay in trouble too.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is an article about what’s going on:

https://www.athensnews.com/news/loca...3cd316662.html

Yikes yikes and more yikes.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is friends with a couple of girls in a chapter there... I'm reading this with their moms...

https://myfox28columbus.com/news/loc...orts-of-hazing
Old 10-03-2019, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

100% BS. You punish the houses that have their stuff together.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Honey, that campus is a risk management nightmare. the sororities stay in trouble too.
Really? Things must have really changed since I was there. It was pretty standard back in the old days of the 1990s that the sororities gave their pledges gifts while the fraternities gave their pledges nightmares...

I honestly cannot remember a sorority getting into any issue for hazing- or hearing about it from any of my panhellenic sisters.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 10-04-2019, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
100% BS. You punish the houses that have their stuff together.
Ohio State did something similar 2 years ago and allowed the houses that weren't in violation to appeal their suspensions. I would say about half of them ended up with one semester of social probation where the biggest offenders were suspended completely. In a way, this makes sense because it allows everything to come to a halt while the entire system is reevaluated.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I've mentioned this many times about Miami University and OU falls in the same bucket. The campuses are in the middle of nowhere and all they end up with a lot risk issues. Campuses in metro areas like Cincy, Ohio State, Akron and Kent, don't have as many risk problems because there is more to do.
This is not limited to fraternities either. Miami, in particular, has had a lot of problems with their sororities which has resulted in suspensions. While I don't think OU has had any sorority suspensions, they have had problems with risk across the board. I don't think UC, Akron or Kent have had any suspensions and OSU has only had one.
I'm only mentioning the larger state schools since there are many other schools in Ohio but without the large Greek systems.
Just my two cents as a near-by lurker with attachment to some of these campuses.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Bloomsburg did a form of this last fall to the entire Greek Community after receiving "several" reports of hazing. No new members were initiated, and the suspension was lifted at the start of spring term. When the hazing report came out, the few items that were on the report hardly necessitated that sort of action. This is the norm now, certainly not the exception. It's how many campuses are dealing with hazing, and it's unfortunate that all groups have to pay the price for a few. Bunch of bullshit.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Risk management isn't just hazing...alcohol issues, out of control parties, etc. also qualify
Old 11-20-2019, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

9 people indicted in alleged hazing death of 18-year-old Ohio University student Collin Wiant

https://abcnews.go.com/US/people-ind..._headlines_hed

@~/~~~~
Old 11-20-2019, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
9 people indicted in alleged hazing death of 18-year-old Ohio University student Collin Wiant

https://abcnews.go.com/US/people-ind..._headlines_hed
Sigma Pi Epsilon? Is this a local, or a mispelling?
Old 11-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Sigma Pi Epsilon? Is this a local, or a mispelling?
It's the Epsilon chapter of Sigma Pi (or, was). The articles have not made that clear.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)