GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,477
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, greorasyandexta
» Online Users: 1,904
1 members and 1,903 guests
Jerryhak

Old 08-04-2000, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
**LOL @ Zeta & Mama*** Ok, Ok... Everything's been sitting in my drawer. Ladies, you know how clothes, eh hem..., sometimes shrink! I love the quilt idea.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-04-2000, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by tickledpink:
Ladies, you know how clothes, eh hem..., sometimes shrink!
Mine seem to be shrinking too....must be the sachets in my drawers

Old 08-05-2000, 12:14 AM

Talking

Help! The Language Usage Police have arrived! (scary isn’t it – that sounds like an actual college office! hee hee)

Anyway, to answer the question – I see a lot more out-of-college BGLO members with the license plates, wearing sweatshirts, etc. I think it’s awesome. A lot of NPC/IFC members seem to look on wearing letters as a “college thing” and depending what part of the country you’re in you might get some weird looks if you did. I’ve heard of the “willing” of items, and it’s not necessarily everything you own, just some things that might have been passed down in your family tree.

What a timely topic, though – I just happened to wear my lavalier to work today! 
Old 08-05-2000, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Quote:
Originally posted by MaMaBuddha:
that healing should be hanging, ZetaAce...
MAMABuddha- I know, I saw that after I posted and thought what the heck, I'll leave it because irony is always fun! However, I didn't spell anything wrong. LOL!

33Girl- I also have on 'nalia (paraphernalia, pari, perry, whatever!) today.

ZetaAce

[This message has been edited by ZetaAce (edited August 04, 2000).]
Old 08-05-2000, 12:45 AM
gloriajean

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by blu_theatrics:
You don't were perry in you sorority after you graduate? or did I misunderstand your posting
blu_theatrics:
I think the original poster does wear perry (i.e. paraphenalia) after graduating. I think she is referring to stuff that is plum worn out, frayed, stained and generally worn out, and unwearable but not wanting to throw it in the garbage, either. I like the letters sewn into a quilt idea myself.

Old 08-05-2000, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

not to bring back up the grammer issue, but since i started it let me clarify.

Para and perry are "slang" terms that we use on my campus and around the area were i live instead of the longer word paraphernalia.

I'm sorry for not realizing that these terms are not universal
Old 08-05-2000, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
I have also heard the term 'nalia used as opposed to para or perry. It must be a campus or regional thing as to which specific term is used.

Is it true that the NIC and NPC greeks use the term "regalia" when describing Greek clothing or items. I can only speak for Alpha Phi Omega, who uses such a term. I don't know about the others.

One more thing. I still haven't got a really good answer to what is the best way to dispose of old, worn, tattered Greek clothing. I have resolved to myself upon initiation to burn such items since the US Flag is done in such a way once it gets old. But maybe some BGL Fraternity members might give me some insight on this. I am really curious.

Da Rain Man
Old 08-05-2000, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, I don't know how to do the whole quote thing, but this is in response to blu_theatric's question. (I'm computer illiterate )

Anyway, I was one of the few people who kept actual letter shirts after Senior Wills. Lots of us kept our formal, spirit, and greek week t-shirts, but most give all their letters away. Which, to answer Rain Man's question, is what we call paraphernalia in my school. Shirts that just have the big greek letters on them are called "letters" or "letter shirts". A few of my friends from other schools call it that too, but I can't speak for all the NPC. Oh, also, my roommate was a member of Alpha Phi Omega and they didn't use the term "regalia", they called them "letters" also. Maybe it's a school by school thing..........

I don't really wear my letter shirts when I go out, but I do wear my spirit shirts ALL THE TIME! Almost every day actually since I work in a camp and have to wear a t-shirt daily.

I don't know about the rest of the NPC, but I know in my school, we pretty much will away all of our letters and most of our spirit shirts. That way they are kept in use, especially for people who can't afford to buy their own.

Don't know if this had much of a point, but I wanted to answer blu_theatric's question!
Old 08-06-2000, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks that di answer some of my question,
and just so you will know in the future all you have to do is click the last icon on the top line of the post you are replying to (it is a pic of a letter with an right pointing arrow.)
Quote:
Originally posted by cash78mere:
Sorry, I don't know how to do the whole quote thing, but this is in response to blu_theatric's question. (I'm computer illiterate )

Old 08-06-2000, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blu_theatrics:
......just so you will know in the future all you have to do is click the last icon on the top line of the post you are replying to (it is a pic of a letter with an right pointing arrow.)

THANKS SO Much!!! i've been trying to figure that out for ages!
Old 08-06-2000, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Lightbulb

About paraphanalia, 'nalia, perry, or regalia...

I think most of the people at my school just called their shirts (and other wearable stuff) 'letters'.. kind of a slang term.

But I know that a lot of chapters referred to this stuff as regalia, also. (Mine did a lot). Like you woud hear the chapter prez say "Don't forget to wear your regalia on Tuesday" or something like that.

I never heard of perry or 'nalia until I started visiting here

I think it probably is just a regional thing. So, for the record, my school was in Columbus, OH. We had locals and a few PFA chapters. (There were some city-wide chapters of NPHC orgs, although I don't know what terms they used).

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 08-06-2000, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Never heard of perry, have heard of nalia. If the shirts are just old, can't you wear them around the house or as night shirts? I can't see giving somebody else your faded or torn shirt, but maybe its just me. The quilt idea sounds pretty good. i still can't get over the fact that some sororities give most of their stuff away after they graduate and don't wear it after.